The Visit

Memories

 

I know I'm in a hospital, or at least it seems like a hospital. I mean it has the heart monitor, the weird looking coat hanger that has a bag of liquid hanging from it, and also when I woke up a guy in a white coat came to see how I was feeling.

Problem is, I have no idea why I'm here. I feel fine, sure my head hurts and everything's a little fuzzy. But, come on. I just haven't had a good night sleep in a long time, probably.

Glancing around the room, I realize that there is no way my parents can afford this room. I had come to Seoul to make enough money to send Jihye to school, so how the hell would they have been able to afford this room? I mean, it's a single and pretty spacious with an amazing view of the countryside. If I had to come to the hospital, I would have expected to be in a room with at least three other patients. When the doctor comes back I'll have to tell him that I can't afford this room, and he needs to move me to a smaller one.

Just then the door opens, I turned expecting the doctor but was shocked when I saw a tall man with long legs. He looked rather skittish and lost as he entered the room. He kept his head turned toward the door, as if expected someone to run through and yell at him.

Wanting to reassure him somewhat, I called out, "Can I help you?"

The man spun around so fast, his coat flared out in a perfect arc. My breath caught when I saw his expressive eyes. They reminded me of my Bambi that someone had thoughtfully placed next to my bedside.  I only got to see the eyes for a few seconds before the man, upon seeing me, broke out in a wide smile showing me his mismatched eyes. There was a sharp pain at the back of my mind upon seeing that, but the next instance it was gone, nothing more than a distant memory.

The man shook his head, "No, the doctor just wants to yell at me. But I think I outran him."

His smile was contagious and I couldn't help but smile back, "You are more than welcome to hide out in here for the time being, God knows it's big enough." I gestured around the room, and motioned for the man to come and sit by me by the window. "My name's Yunho, by the way."

If it was possible, the man smiled even more. But he moved towards the windowsill with a grace that anyone would envy, even me, and I'm a dancer. "Changmin." He introduced himself, and held his hand out. I took it with a smile, Today will be interesting.

"So what are here for?" I ask with a smile, glad that I wasn't alone in this massive room anymore. I mean, come on, who needs a room this big anyway? It could hold at least three other patients.

"Here for?" Changmin tilts his head to the side, bringing the image of a confused fawn to mind. Crap did I get it wrong.

"Sorry," I slumped my shoulders, maybe I offended him. "I woke up about half an hour ago, and I have no clue where I am. With all the machines, I just assumed that it was a hospital. And, well, since no one voluntarily comes to one, I guessed that you were here for something. But if this isn't a hospital, then that question must have sounded really weird...and now I'm rambling. I'll just shut up now."

Changmin started giggling, no joke, full out giggling. "No worries, you are in a hospital. If that can cause no worries, seeing as how you didn't know you were in one. I was just surprised that someone asked me that." He shrugged, a smile still gracing his elegant face. "Most of the patients here get antsy when asked that."

That makes sense. Wait, a second, did he said that patients don't like that so did I just make him mad?

"Uhh, are you a patient?" I asked carefully. I really don’t want to make another mistake, especially since Changmin looks older than me, though he doesn't really act like it.

His eyes widened a little at that, before shaking his head. "Nope. I just here to see a patient."

"Then why run from the doctor?"

Changmin had the decency to look away, a blush painting across his cheeks. "Ahh that. Well, see he and I disagree on the treatment of the person I'm here to see. He accused me of not being able to accept that what I want isn't possible." Pain filled his eyes. "Idiotic doctor hasn't he ever heard of faith?"

My heart dropped, and I can't tell why, but it hurt finding out that Changmin already had someone that was special to him. It could also be because he wouldn't be able to stay much longer, if he had someone else to visit. Maybe if I ask nicely, he'll come back to visit me the next time he comes (if I'm still here by then).

"You should get going then." Changmin over at me, again with the confused Bambi look. "The person you’re here to see, won't they be waiting?"

Changmin smiled sadly, "They haven't woken up yet. It’s been years and he still hasn't woken up." Tears gathered at the edge of his beautiful eyes. "But I can't give up hope, that doctor doesn't know anything. One day, hyung will wake up and say my name, and everything will be alright again."

Silence fell. What could I say to that? It seemed like his hyung meant the world to him, to have someone that important to you be in a coma for years, now that's just rough.

"Well…" I started out slowly, making sure that I didn't scare him away. "You are more than welcome to visit me until your hyung wakes up. I'll be your friend until then, how does that sound?"

Changmin smiled at me, "That sounds perfect actually. You remind me a lot of him."

"Yah! Are you calling me old?"

His laughter echoed throughout the big room. "Not really, it's just my hyung doesn't ever act his age. Preferring to be this squishy human being, until he needs to yell at someone. Which by the way is really rare."

Contemplating that for a moment before I turned back to him. "I have no clue whether to take that as a complement that I'm cute, or be insulted that you think I'm cute. I am a man." I stated with a pout, yea a real man.

"Sure you are." His voice dripped with sarcasm, and he was biting back a smile. "But honestly now it’s getting creepy how much you are like him. He would always say that he was a man to get out of so many things."

His eyes gave this faraway look and I knew without asking that he was thinking about his hyung and all the times that the faceless man had used the excuse I had just given. My chest grew tighter and pain blossomed in my heart. I wanted Changmin to look at me like that and think about me like that.

Whoa. Back up. I have literally just met the man, how the hell am I jealous about my nameless hyung?

Shaking my head to get rid of any more strange thoughts, I returned my attention to the man in my room who was currently staring at me with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

"Nothing," he replied shaking his head. Amusement seeped into his voice and I knew that he was laughing at me. It was embarrassing but at least he wasn't thinking about that guy anymore.

"So...what do you do for a living?" I asked moving back over to the window, gesturing for Changmin to come and sit by me.

"Hmm, random jobs here and there." He gave a bark of laughter. "Don't trust people when they say that Ph.D. is the way to money. I haven't had a steady job since I got out of the army."

"You have a Ph.D.?" My eyes were wide, he barely looked old enough to have gone to the army, let alone have gotten a doctorate in any subject.

Apparently he didn't notice my astonishment, or he was used to it. "Yea, in music." The way he said music told me how much of a lifeline it was to him. He breathed it out as one would speak to a lover in the throes of passion. Yet he had placed enough life and energy into the statement that it sounded like if all the music is the world disappeared he would go with it.

I understood that. I understood that more than most people. Dancing had been my only solstice after my accident where I lost my voice. It had showed me that there was another way to give music.

"So you sing? Or do you play?" I ask him suddenly feeling the need to dance. But since I have no clue as to why I'm in the hospital, I probably shouldn't until the doctor says I can.

"I used to sing, not so much anymore." He said with a sad smile. "I can play the guitar, the piano on occasion, and I can dance but only if you give me choreo."

"I love to dance, it shows emotions better than speaking ever can. But why did you stop singing?"

Changmin merely shrugged, looking out the window rather than at me. His eyes were blank slates and it scared me a little, but his entire body spoke of his pain. He missed singing, that much I could tell, yet…

"So, will you sing for me?" I asked trying my best imitation of Jihye's puppy dog eyes. Not sure if I managed it or not, but it got Changmin to at least give me a laugh.

"Yea, no." He said, life once back in his voice. "I only sing for girls. And no matter how long your hair is, you are not a girl."

"You got me there. But if you sing for me I'll sing for you. So if anyone asks we were just critiquing each other. My voice my not be that great, but hey," I shrugged. Honestly, I have no idea why I want to hear him sing so badly but right now I would do anything to hear his voice. Even if it meant singing with my broken one.

"You would sing for me?" He voice was surprised, as if he never thought that it would come up. But at the same time he sounded somewhat hopeful, like he wanted to hear it.

"Correction, I'm singing and you just happen to be in the room. Got it?" I said. It felt right taking the reins and being the 'older' of us even though Changmin was obviously older than me. Hell he has a Ph.D. and I've barely graduated high school. "By the way, you aren't allowed to make fun of my voice alright?"

"Oh I doubt I'll be able to make fun of it," Changmin spoke so quietly I could barely hear him. I wanted to ask him what he meant, but it was obviously not meant for my ears so I ignored it.

"You go first." I commanded my desire to hear him sing overweighing the engrained respect for my elders.

Changmin didn't comment on it thankfully, just settling back on to the seat and closing his eyes. He stayed like that for so long that I thought he had forgotten about our deal and had fallen asleep. But right when I was about to shake him awake, his mouth opened and he sang.

 

I look at you, my love, though I can’t touch you

I painfully look at that face, at those eyes

The only person who embraced my tears and my scars

In this world, it’s you alone

I miss you my love, my love, can’t you turn around and look at me?

I call out to you till my lips are chapped but it doesn’t reach you

Wherever you are, I will go search for you

Even when the day I stop breathing comes, I will wait for you

I want to love you again, I miss you crazily

 

The last note hung in the air once he finished, leaving only a stunned silence. On my part. For him, well Changmin looked heartbroken and I just knew. He had been singing for his Hyung, and in that moment I silently vowed that one day I would have a love like that.

"There's no way I can follow up with that," I said, breaking the silence after a few minutes when it became clear that he wouldn't be singing again.

Changmin looked up at me with a pout, "Come on, we promised."

"Yea, but that was before you go and do…" I waved my hand around his head trying to think of the right word to describe what just happened, "that." Smooth Jung, real smooth.

"That?" The pout had transformed from an upset one to an angry one. "Did you just call my singing...that?" He let out a bark of forced laughter, as though he couldn't even compute what I had just said. "There are thousands who would pay to hear me sing, and you call it that?!"

Backing up, backing up. "I just didn't know how to describe it in a way that gave it justice."

"So you called it that?"

"It was the first thing that sounded like it wouldn't make this awkward." Honestly if I had gone with the first word that had popped into my head, I'm pretty sure he would look at me like I was insane and practically run out of the room. "Anyway, I've never heard that song is it new?" I diverge from the original topic hoping that he will be distracted in talking about it. After all there has to be a reason for why he sang it.

"I sang it, a long time ago as a favor to one of my friends." Changmin said looking carefully at me, as though he knew exactly why I had changed to topic. In a quieter voice he followed, "I wrote it."

My eyes widened as I looked at him. The song took on a whole new meaning now. The heartbreak, yet the calm that came with it...this man has been through hell. He expects people to leave and not return, but he will still wait for them. Unbidden, I could feel tears gathering in my eyes. I wanted to grab him and protect him against the world, which is just ridiculous. I mean how the hell is a teenager going to protect this thirty-something man.

I heard his intact of breathe, " why are you crying?" He was halfway out of his chair with his hand reached out to me before he seemed to remember himself and slowly sat back down.

"Is that what it's like to grow up?" I ask silently, ignoring while at the same time answering his question. "That much heartache and loneliness? If that's what it’s like I want to stay a teenager forever."

Changmin sighed, his shoulders dropped as though he was given a large burden. "Not for everyone it’s not." He gave me a small smile that was nothing like the one he gave me when he first walked in that door. "I guess...I guess I'm just not worth staying around for. I've had so many friends just walk away because it was better for them, or they were just tired of putting up with me."

He looked me in the eye, a real smile was back though it was tiny. "I'm really difficult to deal with. Basically you could call me a perfectionist with almost no people skills what so ever." His gaze became distant as he kept talking. "Hyung was the only one who could actually put up with it every day. Even the days I would yell and scream at him for the most random things, like squeezing the toothpaste from the middle or for leaving his shoes on in the house. He never got annoyed with me, never got angry enough to leave."

I watched silently as tears filled his eyes. "But now he won't wake up. He won't say it’s going to be okay, or that everything will turn out alright. He was the only one I never had to worry about leaving me, cause he would always wait for me to follow him. But," he turned to me, tears streaming freely down his face, "how can I follow him now? How?"

Knowing that it wasn't my place and that I had just met the man, still I closed the distance between us. Wrapping my arms around him, it amazed me how frail and small he seemed even though he was at least a few centimeters taller than me. I felt him stiffen, but I didn't let go instead I just held on tighter.

"Don't worry." I said into his soft hair. "Everything will be alright, you'll see. Your hyung will wake up and think about how sad he’ll be if he saw that you had been crying because of him. But don't worry, I won't tell him so your secret is safe with me. Just cry, let it all out now so when he finally wakes up you can greet him with that beautiful smile of yours."

At those words, I heard him give a loud sob and bury his face in my shoulder as he clung to me just as tightly as I to him. As he let it all out, I found myself running a hand through his silk like hair. It shocked me how comfortable this was how familiar this felt. I wanted to ask Changmin if he felt the same but I didn't say anything.

I have no clue how long we stayed like that. We didn't move until his tears had dried up and sobs were no longer wrecking his body. He shifted in my arms, letting me know that he was ready to come up and I moved away.

"Sorry about that," he gave me a shy smile. "I'm normally more composed than this."

Waving it away with a hand, "Don't mention it. It's obvious that you needed it."

"Seriously though, I'm visiting you not to mention this is our first meeting and I end up crying all over you. I mean you just woke up in a hospital having no idea what happened to you, and here I am bawling my eyes out like some prepubescent girl!"

 

Before he could continue ranting, his eyes darted to his watch. ". . . . How is it already that time?"

 

"You need to go?"

 

Changmin looked at me with guilty eyes. "Yeah, I'm sorry that I didn't get to hear you sing."

 

Shrugging I replied, "Just come back soon and I'll sing for you then. But you better come back soon cause I have no idea how long I'm going to be here."

 

His eyes kinda glazed over, like he was trying not to say something he might regret. "Tomorrow then. You'll sing for me tomorrow. You promise not to forget?"

 

Laughing I promised. Silently I watched as he moved around the room getting things that had been dropped in his mad dash from the doctor. With his coat in hand and a bag slung over his shoulder he turned to me.

 

"Don't forget."

 

 His voice held more heartbreak than his song did, but before I could say anything he was gone as though he had never been there.

 

Oh well, I'll just ask him tomorrow.

 

*

 

I woke up to bright lights above me and the smell of antibacterial soap.

 

Looking around me was a plain room, there was an IV stand in the corner as well as some tables and chairs. Mine seemed to be the only bed though. However I wasn't the only occupant on my left was a handsome man sitting next to my bed writing in a journal of sorts. I must have shifted or made some noise, cause he looked up at me over his glasses.

 

"I see you're finally awake." He said with a smirk that could rival Loki's.

 

"Yea," I said hesitantly. "Where am I?"

 

"The hospital. You had an accident and the doctors want to keep an eye on you." He said calmly, as though he'd been through this before, which made me wonder if I've woken up before and just don't remember it.

 

"And...you are?" I had tried going through all the people I had met in the past few days. It was a lot, I had just been cast at SM Entertainment and had met a lot of people in the past week.

 

His smirk turned to a smile. "Changmin. The doctors' asked me to keep an eye on you until you woke up."

 

Ah so he works here. I gave him a wide smile. "Nice to meet you Changmin, my name's Yunho."