1.

beautiful.

The dim of the lights made the cheer grew even louder than the way it’s supposed to be. It was just an annual meeting, hosted by the campus committee to strengthen the student’s familiarity to each other. It was actually their 10th time, but for Joohyun, it was her first. Being the freshman of Seoul National University’s architecture student made Joohyun feel nervous when a certain of senior offered her a piece of paper with a big “SNU CAMPUS 10TH STUDENTS ANNUAL MEETING” printed on it. Something that catch Joohyun’s eyes is, actually a smaller words sited above the bigger one which said; “Our theme this year is Duet! So be sure to dress nicely because who knows, there’ll be fate waiting for you!”

Yoona’s first reaction to Joohyun’s announcement about this year Students Annual Meeting was a loud sigh, followed by a head shaking.

“So it’s romantic again this year. After some disaster they made because the theme last year.” Yoona said, putting the piece of paper down to focus on her assignment again.

“What was the theme for last year, by the way?” Joohyun asked, grabbing a glass of water from the table and taking a few gulp.

“Circus.”

Joohyun almost choked on her water, but thanks to Yoona’s quick reflex.

“What? You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Sadly no. It’s true. I actually don’t mind at all, it’s pretty fun. All that I ever regretted was that’s how Taecyeon got his first impression from me.”

“What are you dressed as?”

“I don’t know either. I came up with many ideas but ended with Sooyoungs instead. I should never trusted her.” Yoona let out a loud sigh. “I became some kind of fairy. All I remember I wore green short skirts and a wings.”

“Um.. Tinkerbell?”

“Yeah, sort of. She mixed up with the thoughts of Halloween so I had to wear that horrible costume.”

Joohyun gave her a pity look. “But you still managed to greet Taecyeon, by the way.”

“Yes, and that’s how we’ve become. Started with a tinkerbell and a lion.” Yoona rolled her eyes. “So, you’re planning on coming?”

Joohyun shrugged. “Well, why not. I don’t have to wear some peculiar outfit and I can have a duet with a stranger. Sounds fun.”

“Well, good for you. I think I have to restrain you all night from sleeping to hear all the things that happened.”

“You’re not coming?”

“Nah. I still have a pile of articles waiting for me to read. So, I’ll pass.” Yoona gave her a small smile. “Besides, I have a date tomorrow with Taec.”

“Woah. Where you’ll be going to this time? I heard that there’s new fancy café at Ilsan that sell a very good sandwich.”

“Nah. We’ve decided. We think going to McDonalds is the best choice.”

Joohyun chuckled. “A very wise choice.”

So, this is how Joohyun ended. Sitting nervously at the campus hall, clutching a tiny piece of paper given to her earlier at the front door.

“Please remember this number we give to you, later if you’re lucky your number will be called and you get to sing on the stage. Good luck!”

Joohyun remember the instructions clearly, and then she takes a quick glance at her number. 1171.

“Alright, everyone let’s get this started.” A voice of a male can be heard clearly from the stage. “ARE YOU GUYS READY?”

“YES.” The crowd answer excitedly. The owner of the voice is now standing in the center of the stage, with a spotlight all over his figure.

“I welcome all of you to our 10th Students Annual Meeting. I wanna say welcome back to the seniors and welcome to the freshmen. So, you guys are holding a piece of a paper given earlier don’t you?”

The crowd answer again.

“Okay, so let’s not waste our time anymore. Before we start this meeting, let me introduce you our opening act for tonight. Give a cheer for the dance king and queen, Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon!”

So the stage becomes invisible once more. Then a few thumps can be heard, before the lights are gradually went on and there are two figures standing on the stage. They are the famous Kim Hyoyeon of Fine Arts and Lee Eunhyuk from Music. Joohyun have heard their names a few times. And Joohyun also found out that they are a couple. Her eyes are shining as she watched their body moves into the music.

It happened so fast and smooth that Joohyun didn’t realize she already give the couple applause. And right now is finally the time. The male MC who Joohyun learned to be a girl, named Amber, get to the stage and announce the first number.

“Let’s give another applause for Hyoyeon and Eunhyuk!” She screams. “And so, we’ll keep going with this meeting. Okay, so you guys know what the rules are, right? I will take two pieces of paper from this jar randomly, and the said numbers have to get up here and well, do a duet!”

The crowds are remaining silent. And so is Joohyun, who keeps let out a nervous sigh. Her palms are sweating and her pulse is beating irregularly.

“Okay, let’s get this started! The first number is…” Amber put her hand inside the jar and fishes a piece of paper. She clears before shout loudly. “1214!”

A round of applause the owner of the number as he walks to the stage. His face looks familiar to Joohyun, maybe he’s one of the school committee. Joohyun almost forgot that there’s still one number left to be announced, she then closes her eyes once more.

“Okay, the next one is…”

It won’t be me.

It’s one in a million it can’t be me.

If it’s me please don’t let me the first one performing. Please.

“1171.”

Damn it.

Joohyun open her eyes slowly, her brain is collecting the things happening around slowly.

“1171.” Amber calls out again.

Joohyun snaps out of her thoughts, then rise from her seat slowly. Her steps are doubtful but she's still walking, anyway. The last thing she know is she standing on the stage, feet tread awkwardly as she take a glance at her duet partner. He wears a black shirt wrapped with a white sweater. His hair was dyed dark brown, and his eyes are black. Joohyun stops for a moment before turn her head away when the latter looks at her. As Joohyun feels those black orbs observe her, she remains silent.

“Okay, so which number do you guys choose?” Amber asked, Joohyun looks at her confusedly.

“8.” 1214 said. Amber then nods her head.

“Okay, then. Let’s get this started! Hit the music!”

As Amber walk off the stage, the lights dim slowly. Amber then come back, just to give both of them a microphone, then she disappears once again.

The sounds of guitar being plucked started the song. Joohyun feels like she knew this song, she heard it a few time on the radio. Her duet partner is looking at her, giving signal that it’s her turn to sing. Joohyun hesitantly grabs her mic, and then she opened her thin lips. She read the lyrics that had been written on the flat screen in front of her. She let out a sigh once again before finally get started.

I know, I know it's been a while


I wonder where you are, and if you think of me


Sometimes, 'cause you're always on my mind


You know I had it rough, trying to forget you but


The more that I look around, the more I realize


You're all I'm looking for



What makes you so beautiful, is you Don't know how beautiful you are to me


You're not trying to be perfect

Nobody's perfect, but you are, to me

It's how you take my breath away


Feel the words that I don't say

I wish somehow, I could say them now

Oh, oh, I could say them now, yeah


 

Joohyun take a quick glance at 1214, he already move the mic  so it’s right in front of his lips.

 

Just friends, the beginning or the end?

How do we make sense


When we're on our own


It's like you're the other half of me


I feel incomplete, I should've known


Nothing in the world compares to the feelings that we share


So not fair

What makes you so beautiful, is you don't know how beautiful you are to me


You're not trying to be perfect

Nobody's perfect, but you are, to me

You try to take my breath away

Feel the words that I don't say
I wish somehow, I could say them now

 

And so on, their eyes meet, lips keep letting out the words smoothly.

 

Oh, it's not you, blame it all on me


I was running from myself

Cause I couldn't tell how deep that we


We were gonna be
I was scared it's destiny, but it hurts like hell


Hope it's not too late, just a twist of faith


What makes you so beautiful, is you Don't know how beautiful you are to me


You're not trying to be perfect


Nobody's perfect, but you are, to me
It's how you take my breath away


Feel the words that I don't say


I wish somehow, I could say them now


Oh, oh, I could say them now

 

As soon as the song stopped, Joohyun run off the stage. Putting the microphone carelessly on the table nearest to the stage, she then run off the hall. Without even looking back, Joohyun make her way to her shared room with Yoona. Leaving her duet partner with a slight of disappointmet.

                                                                                                                    ***