I did you wrong

Mesh

 

 

 

Wonshik wears big, dark sunglasses today. The murky clouds are foreboding, and there’s a slight humidity in the air that Wonshik can’t stand at all. He hears wailing and it irks him to the core. It’s just his ing fault. He hears gentle whimpers in close proximity, and swings his body a little to see Hongbin nuzzling in Sanghyuk’s neck to calm him down, and Taekwoon continuously wiping bitter tears that slide down Jaehwan’s cheeks.

 


“I love you,” Wonshik hopefully announces, even though the moment they are in feels inappropriate. Hakyeon is lying on the hospital bed, his right arm in a cast, his both legs bruised and painful. It twists Wonshik’s heart to see him like this, so fragile and so vulnerable. Hakyeon widens his eyes and lets out a very soft gasp, starts to move his good arm frantically, latching onto Wonshik’s. He tries to say something, and chokes on tears, bites his lips because this moment is all he’s been waiting for, but his vocal chords are tight and he can’t articulate a word. Oh, the pain. It hurts. Wonshik daringly moves forward and lightly on Hakyeon’s lip, and there’s such a warmth that pools in his stomach that he can’t stop himself, and Wonshik kisses Hakyeon hard. Oh, the pain. It hurts again, but Hakyeon thinks it’s the most blissful pain he’s ever felt.

 


Wonshik sees him and he feels he can vomit all his insides. Disgust and an incredible loathing rise in him and he moves his eyes away,  brings his hands in fists, feels his nails sinking painfully in his palms. He touches his shoulder for a brief moment and Wonshik flinches. “What?” Wonshik’s tone is gruff, and hoarse, and the man can tell he’s cried an awful lot, but even that doesn’t evoke even a smidgen of compassion. “It’s better off this way. He was nothing but trouble to you. “

 


Hakyeon’s giggles do unimaginable things to Wonshik’s heart, making it flutter in a way he hadn’t thought possible. His skin is marred by now, adorned with light bruises and bright red markings by Wonshik’s teeth and lips. Hakyeon loves it. His skin is most beautiful that way, he muses. Wonshik covers them both with the fluffy comforter and Hakyeon embraces the man on top of him tight, sighing in content. Wonshik furrows his eyebrows and he seems to be thinking about something. Something bothering, Hakyeon concludes as Wonshik’s jaw tightens and he looks as if he’s debating with himself whether to tell or not. “Just tell me,” Hakyeon interrupts his thoughts, and he looks mildly surprised. “It’s nothing,” he says, as he rolls over and lets Hakyeon accommodate against his chest while he hugs his waist. “Really?” Hakyeon tries again, and he’s thankful Wonshik can’t see his face right now, because worry is very evident on it. Wonshik exhales a loud sigh. “It’s just.. my father, you know,” Hakyeon interjects a little too fast. “What about him?” Wonshik tightens his grip on his waist and peppers his neck with light kisses. He murmurs against his skin, “He found out.. about us.” Hakyeon is holding his breath, his chest hurting. “What did he say?” Wonshik doesn’t respond immediately, and Hakyeon even thinks that it’s a sign that he wants to drop the subject. Until Wonshik’s lips part again and he mutters, “He doesn’t .. he thinks.. “ Hakyeon feels his breath constrict, and he tries to swallow the lump of anxiety. “It’s fine, say no more.” He turns around and kisses him, and Wonshik can feel his lover’s  hopes crushed and a slight desperation hidden behind the urgency of the kiss.

 


“Get the out of here. I don’t want to see your face.” Wonshik mutters through gritted teeth, close to losing control. “You have to understand, son.. and to move on.”  His father grasps onto his arm, and Wonshik pushes him away with a strength that makes him stumble back. Wonshik is uncaring of the people’s shocked faces and retreats into a more forlorn corner, leaving his father agape and with a disbelieving look on his face. Hyemi approaches him and he doesn’t really know if he can bear her company at the moment.  “Are you okay, Wonshik?”

 


“Hakyeon, this is my fiancée, Hyemi. Hyemi, my.. friend, Hakyeon.” Hakyeon feels he can throw up at this very instant. He knew it was coming, but it still pained him to no end. He is infinitely disappointed Wonshik couldn’t fight against his father for their love, for him. He doesn’t blame Wonshik, though. Hakyeon’s lashes flutter downwards, to hide the impending tears. The saddest smile Wonshik has ever seen is painted on his face. It breaks him, and his heart is screaming Hakyeon and he despises himself, he disgusts himself  for his cowardice. “I’m happy for you, Wonshik.” The helplessness in his voice moves Wonshik so much he almost bursts into tears, but he refrains himself. “We should go,” he grabs Hyemi’s arm and they exit the room in a haste. Hyemi sighs.

 


“You think I didn’t know, Wonshik?” He looks up, confused, and takes off his sunglasses. Hyemi can see his eyes red and misty. The guilt is now eating away at her heart. She starts to cry, and Wonsik panics. “What’s wrong? Hyemi, what do you mean?” Hyemi manages to voice her thoughts through sobs and hiccups, “You love Hakyeon and he loved you. I was the thirdwheel, Wonshik, the intruder. You think I didn’t know?” Wonshik can’t react in any way. He’s apparently unfazed, breathing slow, and feeling his tears build in his eyes again. Reluctant, he brushes Hyemi’s tears away, but she rejects him with force. “It’s my fault, Wonshik! It’s my fault that Hakyeon died unhappy. My selfishness  took him away from you.  I thought I love you too much, Wonshik, and that all is fair in love and war. I clearly don’t, otherwise I would have let you go, Wonshik, I’d have let you go to your true happiness. I am a selfish, inhuman , Wonshik, and you deserve so much more. I’m breaking off the engagement.” Wonshik doesn’t respond at all.

 


“Hakyeon, I’m so sorry..” Wonshik’s words trail off in the chilly night. “I’ll be your best man.” Hakyeon announces with a sickeningly sweet tone, voice so obviously cracking and eyes flooded with tears. “Hakyeon, listen to me..” Wonshik tries again, his gut twisting in so many ways. “I’ll be the godfather of your children.” Wonshik has had enough, and he grabs Hakyeon roughly by his shoulders. “Hakyeon, what ing nonsense are you spitting out ?!”

 

"No matter what, I want to be part of your life, Wonshik!" Hakyeon breaks down and cries, so loud and heartbreaking, and Wonshik wheezes and his head pounds painfully. A light emerges and he squints his eyes, but before he can register anything, Hakyeon shoves him powerfully to the side with no hesitance and the truck collides with Hakyeon’s body at full force. Wonshik yells, voice hoarse, and he kneels beside Hakyeon, holds his head on his lap, and the blood oozing from his skull makes Wonshik lose consciousness.


When he wakes up, someone’s whispering and he can’t comprehend, but still makes out something about “report of the deceased” and he squeezes his eyes shut again, weeping and shaking tremendously that the nurses fumble around him helplessly.

 


The casket lowers into the ground, cries are heard and Wonshik tenses. The sight sickens him to no extent, he has to hold onto the next person which happens to be Jaehwan, in order not to fall. The skies are crying now, but Wonshik suddenly feels sort of peaceful, serenity shooting through him.

 


Hakyeon, my love, I’m coming soon. I won’t make you wait. We will be together forever.