Innocent Little Distractions

Red

He remained standing there, the bright crimson of the words both haunting and screaming at him in unison Breaths came slowly, shakily as his brows knit enough to make the whole staff an ugly Christmas sweater. A lump was swallowed down as Jonghyun slowly craned his head downwards, looking at the little drops left by a morbid sort of paint brush.
 


By now more than a million and a half quiestions were buzzing around his mind in a hazy sort of cloud, zipping around too quickly to do more than add to the confusion he was so desperate to sort out.

 



“Jjongie-ah you need to stop worrying..”



“Bwoh?” How much time had passed? And when had he sat himself down on the bench next to Noona (though, knowing her, she probably dragged him). It was annoying really, not being able to slow down the thoughts enough to actually think the situation over. Just then, a thin yet gentle arm wrapped around his broad shoulders.

“Jongie-ah. Why's this affecting you so much hm?” Long hair cascaded down her shoulders as Jessica-noona tilted her head thoughtfully to her pensive friend, bottom lip jutted out an a pout she probably didn't even notice.


“You've been here forever..” She continued. “It's not like that's the first bad case you've seen.”

And she had a point.

 



Why then?

Why did it shake me up so badly?

Finally, some thoughts began to surface.

What was it about that victim that was so unsettling?

Sure, when you see a hurt person, you worry for them but.. Why can't I get that victim out of my head?

 

 


Sufficiently unsatisfied with her friend's lack if an answer, the nurse gently nudged his shoulder, please when Jonghyung actually looked over at her, regardless of how bewildered he looked.

“You know, maybe you should visit the sub Ten wing for a while? Came the propsal as she tilted her head the other way.
And just like that, simply from the thought, a tiny, barely there smile tugged at the corner of Jjong's lips.

 

~~



The Sub Ten wing of the hospital was an odd sort of place. It was where the kids who had long term treatment (muscle rehabilitation and such) would stay. Every now and again, there would be a patient who could never be visited by parents who were working hard to pay off the treatment their child was getting.


Most of the kids kept to themselves, even if they were I the same. They became distant, lonely, and their lack of overall moral greatly effected the time it took to recover. Sort of simple math really:

The happier you are, the faster you'll heal. If you're not happy, you'll heal slower.



This was where Jonghyun came in.


“And he's right around the corner, room Double S 501”

Jonghyun was busy scanning over the boy's chart, simply nodding along to whatever it was Minho-hyung had said



.... Something about.. SS.. 5 0...1? Yeah that sounded about right.



But it was never that easy to just blatantly ignore the other. A soft 'thwack' followed the rolled up paper that'd been used to slap the top of his head. For a moment, the two glared at each other before breaking out into light laughter.

“Mianhaeyo.. Thanks for this, Minho-hyung” The blonde finally admitted with a smile and slight bow, not missing the content smile that crossed the elder's lips.

“It's really not a problem. Now go one before the kid passes out from boredom nae?”



And he wasn't kidding.



Two soft knocks were followed by a soft, tiny, unsettlingly hollow 'enter' from the other side. Looking around the place, it was really no wonder why the tiny figure on the cot didn't bother moving much when Jonghyun walked in.



Very obviously expecting another hyung or noona in a white lab coat, the little boy's face filled with a sort of innocent confusion. A dorky smile as there to greet the tiny, inquisitive eyes.



“Annyeonghaseyo” Jonghyung hummed, bowing with a smile before leaning against the door frame. “Your doctor, Minho-hyung sent me to maybe keep you some company.”

By now, the large (at least in proportion to the rest of the child) eyes scanned over the figure with oddly bright hair that sort of looked like straw. Hair could come in those colours?
 


“N....” Jonghyun's ears almost perked at the remarkably cute voice.
“No.. medicine? No doctow?”

 


The smile pulled wider as the blonde shook his head, allowing a soft chuckle as he glance to the floor for a moment.

“No nasty medicine, no dumb tests, no big dopey doctors. I'm actually a patient here, like you.” He paused in that moment to allow himself a small pat on the back, seeing how the small boy's posture already changed positively.


“So how 'bout it?” Came the question with a warm smile and a tilted head. “Can you let me hang out with a cool guy like you?”


 Tiny fingers played lightly with the boring sheets below, the boys lips almost seeming as though they were fighting the urge to smile, reluctant to be happy or amused. Minute of deliberation having passed, the boy gave a small little nod.

Taking this as one of hopefully many victories, Jjong bowed once again and smiled wide, sitting in the chair adjacent to the cot, resting his chin on the mattress.

“My name's Jjong, but you can call me whatever okay?”

The boy nodded.

“Awesome. So what's your name then?” He asked with a tilted head with now rested in crossed arms a top the sheets.



“... J...Jung... Jung Yoogeun”

 

*-----------*
Annd there it is~! After many many months I've finally updated ^^ I hope you all like this Chapter! Author stayed up very very late (5 in the morning) to finish it for you all! <3

I ended it here because 1) Author is tired ;3; and

2)I think there will be a whole chapter's worth of content between these two and I didn't want to it run on for too long ^^

 

(hehe did anybody see my little hidded message? -clever author-)

 

Anyways Yes, this was the story that had the most votes to update.

I will update Jealous very soon. Maybe over the weekdend if I get all of my college homework done TT

Thank you all again! I love you my wonderful readers~!

-(A very tired)Author

(ps- There was a tornado warning here and I live all by myself TT I was so scared)