Waiting Room

Savory

You wait in the empty room, staring into the mirror of the vanity across from you. You had made your performance early in the show, and instead of watching the others as usual, you were waiting. Perhaps for nothing, but it was worth the trouble, just in case.

You had invited him to this room after a confession, in hopes he would feel the same. The other day the two of you had been talking in your waiting room, a habit that you both had made. He’d smiled and looked at you as if you were the only thing that could fill his mind so potently. He had started doing that frequently, and every time you noticed that look in his eye there were no words that could be spoken that would be said without a tremor. “Oppa,” you’d called him, “Every time you look at me like that…”

“Hm?” he’d hummed. He wasn’t gazing at your eyes anymore, but maybe at your neck through hooded eyes as he leaned comfortably on the couch you were sitting on. You could see he was looking at your lips now waiting for you to finish. “What were you saying?” he’d grinned softly, as he said this.

What was it about his face, right then when he spoke, that made your heart flutter? It was as if every time he blinked, your hands suddenly yearned for him. But you couldn’t allow them their freedom, and it was driving you crazy.

“Stop it!” you stood as you said this to him. “Stop making me want to kiss you!”

His eyes had returned to yours, wide in shock or confusion, before you’d left the room.

Tired of watching your anxious knees bounce, you stand to straighten your black dress. It's a little too short for your comfort, but you like the way it hangs a bit loosely over you, almost like a clingy shadow. It's pinned to you in a way that prevents fly-ups and slips, so at least you have that security.

While you're checking your hair, you hear the door open, and you see a red-haired figure slip in. Smiling softly, he takes a seat on the table you had been sitting on, yourself.

“Do Kyungsoo,” you beam at him. “How are you?”

“I’m…” he sighs, “tired.”

“But you haven’t performed yet!” Your shocked tone makes him chuckle. “Maybe that’s the sign of a truly beloved artist. I’m never tired after I perform but I don’t have many fans. You’re tired even before you perform and you have millions.”

“I guess that’s one way to look at it,” Kyungsoo nods but his smile dissipates. “You deserve more fans, though. Your music is amazing. At least everyone in EXO thinks so.”

“I’ve heard people say my voice is terrible and I’m not talented,” you frown.

“They’re just lying. I bet if you sang anything right now it would sound better than any sound any of them can make.”

You laugh. “You’re just saying that!”

“No, really!” he looks you in the eye. “Sing anything. Right now.”

You see that he’s serious, so you prepare yourself to sing anything, the first notes that come to your head. The song ends, and after a pause he asks, “What song was that?” with his gaze never faltering.

“Oh, I- it was just freestyle,” you admit, flustered.

“‘Freestyle’? You can sing freestyle?” he asks, his eyes sparkling. “I guess I can’t ask you to sing it again then.”

After a few moments of pondering to yourselves, he calls your name. “About the other day…”

You immediately know what day he means. That day you had said too much. “Oh yeah,” you say meekly, looking somewhere else, “sorry about that. I guess I just… I was just dehydrated that day.” You suddenly feel like an idiot, having just chickened out after all this. But how were you supposed to tell him how much you wanted him? The ideas you’d practiced flew out the door the moment you’d seen him enter it.

His eyebrows pull together but he smirks gently at your lie. “No. I’m sorry.”

You look back at him. He can see that you don’t understand and he steps closer to you.

“I’d been trying to control myself around you,” he pauses, suddenly unable to meet your eyes, “but I like you too much.”

He again steps closer to you, your bodies almost touching.  

“Every time I look at you I feel like kissing you.” He sees your lips now, and they are all he sees.  

“Kyungsoo,” you break the short silence, “I sang for you, so... you’ll sing for me once, won’t you?”

You look into his eyes and he pauses again, not sure of your tone, not sure of what you mean.

“Of course I will.”

His arms wrap around you, and as he slowly kisses you, more intensely with every second, you feel yourself smolder and catch on fire.

 

 

 

--

A/N: next chapter imminent. stay tuned~ c;