The Party

Savory

It’s surprising that you’re able to make out several faces, considering the dim lighting of the room. You spot many idols and even more stylists, dancers, and people who you don’t know but are most likely either important or a friend of someone who is. A man comes meandering through the crowd with a tray of drinks in one hand and you swiftly take two and head to the nearest table. You could easily decide to take over this party, but it’s even more fun just to watch front-row. From your table you can see everything — every clique, every courageous soul dancing over to flirt with another. And over in the corner conversing mainly among themselves, EXO.

It was probably the alcohol, but from the moment your eyes happen upon Do Kyungsoo you are unable to tear them away. How on Earth could he look so wickedly handsome in a simple black suit? When he laughs, though his cheeks rise cutely, you can still see his aversion behind it all. With every slight grin he is a scoundrel with a sparkle in his eye. His perfect hair, a dazzling dark-red, looks oh, so integral on him. You wonder if he smells as savory as he looks.

What are you thinking? You must be going mad to be having such thoughts! But how can it be helped in this lively atmosphere, where your eyes are bound to fall upon someone, where everyone is so close to each other and even one’s stare can be felt? Having felt yours, now he is looking back at you, and it is the shocked, slight raise of his brow that sends your eyes somewhere else, anywhere else. Is he still looking? The party’s music and chatter does nothing to muffle the sound of your startled heartbeat in your own ears. You swear his eyes are wandering in your direction. You’re not crazy… right? Maybe you are. But then...

Eye contact.

At what point had you subconsciously looked back over there?

A dancing man in a colorful suit passes, providing your excuse to pretend nothing happened. You trace the rim of your empty glass and ponder how you’re going to live this down.
“She’s a stare-er,” they’ll say. Or something like that. You do have quite the habit of staring.

Out of nowhere, an accented “Hello” startles you. You look up and see Do Kyungsoo standing much closer than originally and you feel your heart crash into your chest. Beside him is Lu Han, the one who said hello.

“We’re big fans of your music,” he continues. “I’m Lu Han. This is Do Kyungsoo.”

“Oh, um, hi,” you greet them, a nervous smile spreading across your face. “I’m also a fan.”

“May we sit here?” he asks, extending his arm to the empty chairs across from you.

“Yes, yes, of course."

After sitting down, Lu Han, suddenly a businessman, is quick to get to the talking.

"Our D.O. doesn't like parties so much, right, Kyungsoo?"

"No, I like it," Kyungsoo replies with a meek smile. "It's fun to play with other groups." Big talk from the guy that's only been standing with his own group members all night.

"Yeah, I agree" is your lame reply. Not that you had been any more adventurous. But it is harder when you're alone.

A few seconds pass as you scan your mind for topics to talk about. Everyone's looking around awkwardly when out of nowhere Lu Han twists to face the other way and is shouting "Yeah? Yeah! Yeah, I'm coming now!" As Lu Han gets out of his seat you can feel the needles in Kyungsoo's glare even though it is only directed at Lu Han.

"Please take care of our Kyungsoo," Lu Han says finally and bounds off to who-knows-where. Though Kyungsoo is no longer glaring at businessman Lu Han, the feeling certainly remains on Kyungsoo's face and it is very clear: he has just been played like a full house by his own hyung. You can't help but feel hung out to dry as well.

"I’m Kyungsoo’s fan," you attempt to break the ice, before he decides to slip away.

“Hm?”

“I like EXO,” you suggest, “but I’m Kyungsoo’s fan. I wish I could hear you sing more.”

He smiles a little, but it doesn’t quite seem genuine. “Oh… Me, too.”

“You, too?” you question, but he only shakes his head in return.

You talk for a while, sharing each others experiences and chuckling at how insane your lives are. Even in silences, no matteer how long, it seems the conversation is carrying on in the air and in your heads when you glance at each other. Before you’re ready for him to, Lu Han returns.

“You guys are still sitting here?” Lu Han asks. “Damn, ya’ll are boring as hell. Anyway, Kyungsoo, we gotta go.”

You look up to find the room is almost cleared out and the lights are on. How did you not notice that? The two of you get up from your seats to say your goodbyes.

“Since we’re both promoting I’ll see you around, won’t I? Or,” he asks shakily, failing to mask the nervousness in his voice, “can I have your number?”

You smile again, surprised at his suggestion.

“Yes,” you eagerly nod, “Of course you can.”



~\~/~