Chapter 1

The man from heaven

“Tik tok, tik tok”

 

The clock strikes four, the still of the night covered the space with just some blowing winds through loose-closed windows. Moonlight shining clearly, brightening up the sky and made a quiescent room in the second floor of a house illuminated in its white overflowing light. Everything was in silence, just the sound of rustling paper rouse up this quiet moment.

 

This room was nothing special to other ones, painted in light green as the colour of a vast meadow. The interior was well-designed and in perfect harmonious arrangement. The owner of this beautiful room seemed to be a tidy, cautious and addicted-book person. In the shelf, piles of books were categoried neatly by red or blue sticker into many kinds from psychology, adventure to comics and novel. On the pictures hang on the wall and in some frames were the photos of two young men putting shoulders or hugging each other with their shining smiles crossed the faces. Their beauty was as faultless as being carved by a genuine sculptor with dove-eyed and high nose brigde features. People could easily mistaken their pictures for some hot celebrities’ pictorial.

 

Night wind blowing sheer curtain in the window, a sweet scent of lavender spreaded its fresh mild fragrance to every corner of this space, even in un-finished book put in the sideboard. But there was something missing here, maybe the warmth of people. The cold and secluded feeling from this nice room still gave out the creepy and overcast atmosphere.

 

The door opened, a young man coming inside. He’s walking around slightly as gliding wind. Halting beside the desk, he held and looked intently at a photoframe. A slight smile appearing, he touched the face of a boy hugging him tightly in this photo. That smile was so radiant and innocent like a child. Dropping to the white bed, feeling the sorrowful freeze through the fingers when touching the mattress instead of the warmth as his expectation, the pain now has pressed upon his mind. That familiar warmth may be gone with the wind for such a long time.

 

Tears falling in his eyes, he came to the wardrobe and took out a grey sweater. The 18th birthday gift that his brother liked so much and just wore in special events. across every grey fibres, the sweater was a little tattered and had some deep blood stains. With a choking sensation, he hugged it so tight like embracing a person who has vanished from this world already.

 

 

The cyring sound in a quiet night was so plaintive, it echoed back in the cliff of the outside steppe, harmonizing in the murmuring brook, overflowing in the fall lake. It would like to send his pain and nostalgia up to the dawning sky, where they believe the heaven exists.

 

In another place, a young man leaning against the window with reddish eyes. Sometimes, he gulped down the wine bottle with shedding tears blurring his vision. He looked fixedly to the outer space, memories suddenly coming back to his mind. He could see the picture of two kids chasing each other in a huge grassland, sometimes when one fell off, the other would rush to support his buddy with a cheerful laughter. They was running until out of breath and lying together in the peak of the hill with spreading hands. The blue sky was so near that they could think of bringing clouds back to home.

 

 “Do you believe in heaven?”

“Why do you ask that?”

“Cause the elderly often says if we are obedient, we can live in heaven when we die”

“I don’t care”

The younger raised his head, moving the inquisite eyes towards the older

“Why?

“Cause wherever you are beside me, that’s my heaven”

 

The clanging laughter of two kids chasing each other echos in the unending grassland. Rain was pouring to refresh the landscape, it sounded like the sweet melody of nature, two kids holding hands running in the rain. That image has gradually faded away in his teary eyes, seemed like it was yesterday. Everything now was just a reminiscence. The childhood memories supposed to be the best things in everyone’s life but with this poor guy, those memoirs of grief just made his heart broken into pieces. Raise his eyes to the far-away horizon, the sun was rising after drifting clouds. Those painful eyes lost in unfading memories, tears kept falling in the soaked shirt.

 

 “I miss you like crazy, do you know?”

 

In two ends of that immense steppe, there were two people bearing the pain of losing their most beloved one. In this impermanent life, the boundary between life and death was very thin. People had to accept the heartbroken injuries to continue their lives, though their hearts would never be healed again.