Time

Let me Love You

I'd apologise for not updating long, but I'm not sure whether there is someone I need to apologise to xD


 

With the exception of Jan Di and Joon Pyo having stuck on the mountain at some point, Tae Min thought the rest of the trip went rather well for him. He’d retreated to his room soon after overhearing Woo Bin and Yi Jun’s conversation, turning up the music of his iPod to the loudest possible. He never heard Woo Bin knocking on the door of his room or calling for him to come out and talk.

When he woke up the next morning, the others had already left for the mountain. He was grateful they didn’t bother waking him. It wasn’t like he could ski or anything, anyway.

 

Instead he took his time wandering through the hotel, then out on a short walk to get some fresh air. He did not seem bothered by the cold, and came back soaked with snow, but with a much clearer head. Until that evening, when the others came back, he thought he’d erased Woo Bin from his mind completely.

Yet just one glance at the boy was enough to have him retreat back inside his room, under the excuse that his ribs hurt from the walking he did earlier and that he simply wasn’t feeling well.

 

First time Tae Min spoke to Woo Bin again was not until about half a year later.

 

*

 

Not much happened in the six months. Joon Pyo’s father collapsed, and he had to leave for Macau. Busy as he became, it was impossible to get into contact with him. This took its tool on Jan Di, of course, though she never openly showed it. None of them did, any of their personal thoughts or emotions. Perhaps there was a time when they were supposed to, but as that time passed, it became hard even to think about it.

Tae Min began working part-time in the porridge shop with Ga Eul and Jan Di. At first, the two girls were surprised at his request, but after explaining he wanted to try making money by himself, they had no further questions and just let him be. Dancing had become a bit hard – even after six months, Tae Min’s ribcage would occasionally hurt. He dared not complain about it, though, and pushed himself when he could. Because Jan Di – Jan Di had it much worse than him.

 

The hit she received back then was more serious than they’d originally thought. Jan Di’s shoulder would often hurt even through her training and swimming she seemed unable to loosen the pain. Until finally, Ji Hoo made her visit a doctor and take a proper look at it – the news were not good. Jan Di is never supposed to swim again.

 

“Healthy abalone porridge, here! Tasty abalone porridge!

The cheerful voices of the three teens working at the porridge shop echoed along the street. It was the Master’s new invention, and in order for it to start selling well, it needed to be advertised. And though Tae Min attracted some attention with his aegyo looks, it did not seem to be going well.

 

“At this rate, can we sell all this today?”

Jan Di and Ga Eul exchanged a worried glance. Truth was, the money they were supposed to earn was to be given to Jan Di as an advance… because again, she refused to take money from any of her friends. Because it was something she wanted to do – earn enough for a plain ticket to Macau, so she could visit Goo Joon Pyo.

Tae Min wished she would just shut up and accept his help this one time. Jan Di argued that she wanted no help from someone who took special care in avoiding his friends for the past six months.

Or a friend in Tae Min’s case.

 

It wasn’t like Tae Min stubbornly avoided Woo Bin because he didn’t want to face him… it was just that he couldn’t.

Moreover, Jan Di and Ga Eul seemed to know something he didn’t – and no matter how much he pleaded, they wouldn’t tell him.

 

“Healthy abalone porridge!”

“Could I have some?”

Ga Eul was the first to react, her eyes nearly popping out, as it would have been the first sale in the last couple of hours, “Of course!” and was more than a little surprised to see Yi Jung, Ji Hoo and…

“Ah! I should go see how Master is doing, ahaha,” Tae Min laughed awkwardly, attempting an escape from Woo Bin’s intense gaze. Jan Di pulled him back and the boy gave a pout, glancing up slowly at the other.

 

“Me too, please,” Woo Bin asked, allowing a small smile play on his lips. Tae Min swallowed, turning to hand him the plastic bowl filled with porridge.

“Gomawo.”

“Sunbae…” Tae Min began his hands still on the bowl that Woo Bin now held. “I can’t… my hand…”

Woo Bin offered another smile, shifting his hands slightly so the – now red-faced boy – could pull his away.

 

Not long after the arrival of the three did the sales increase rapidly. Whether it was their looks or just the common knowledge of who they were that attracted the guests… it mattered little in the end. They’d managed to gather a decent amount for Geum Jan Di. That thought alone was enough to set their minds at ease.

“But,” Ga Eul voiced the question both Jan Di and Tae Min had thought of at some point. “Why did you guys come here all of a sudden?”

The three exchanged glances before Ji Hoo spoke, “There’s some place that you need to go with us.”

 

*

 

“Swimmer, to your place,” Woo Bin instructed. Jan Di gave a shy smile before doing as told.

“Get ready… start!”

Watching the girl jump into the water and swim, Tae Min was unsure whether to smile or cry. As it turned out, the place they needed to go was there, back at Shinhwa High, to the very building that held the pool where Jan Di used to swim those entire months prior. The place where she was able to just be herself and relieve her stress, to do what she loved most – swim – the place that, after this day, she would have no reason to visit again.

Really, if the others were not there, Tae Min would have cried.

 

What they were doing for her – what Ji Hoo, Yi Jung and Woo Bin had thought to do, that is – felt both sad and relieving, kind and cruel. Tae Min thought, if he ever had to quit dancing for some reason, he would probably throw a fit over such a thing. To give up something one loved, he thought, was so very difficult – and he admired Jan Di all the more for how strong she was, going through with it, and accepting the fact through all her sorrow.

He watched Jan Di swim. They all watched. When Ga Eul cried, Tae Min was unable to continue suppressing his tears as well. Hiding his face in his hands quietly, he took a moment to calm down, not even looking up when an arm wrapped around his shoulders, offering comfort.

 

Finally, as Ji Hoo was helping Jan Di out of the pool, Tae Min looked up to smile to his friend. Though his eyes were a bit red, they were dry of tears. He too, wanted to be strong for her.

“What now?” Ga Eul asked, watching Jan Di walk out to change.

“There’s one more thing,” Yi Jung said, but offered no further explanation. Tae Min watched the boy, about to ask for further explanation, but Yi Jung had glanced at Woo Bin, his brow rising slightly in question. Feeling the weight he had forgotten was there lift off his shoulders, Tae Min fixed his gaze to his side for a moment, locking eyes with Woo Bin who stood beside him awkwardly. The two both snapped their heads away, breaking eye contact. Tae Min could feel his cheeks burning and prayed they had not turned red.

 

Jan Di returned, and stood beside Ga Eul while Ji Hoo pulled out a folder and, having opened it, read from a paper stored inside: “From now on…”

His voice broke and he coughed, embarrassed, but smiled seeing Jan Di giggle.

“Right now…” Ji Hoo tried again. “We will begin Swimmer Geum Jan Di’s retirement ceremony. First, we will present out distinguished service award… uhm…”

The group offered soft laughs and chuckles, Woo Bin taking the said folder to continue reading instead.

“Hm, distinguished award… Shinhwa High School’s distinguished service award is presented to Geum Jan Di, based on her natural nosiness and the weed spirit, as the only student with special ability in swimming of the fiercely prestigious aristocratic Shinhwa High School–”

“Especially,” Yi Jung read the final paragraph. “With the speciality of taming F4 and Goo Joon Pyo she is second to none, thus raising the standards for her sportsmanship and therefore awarded the Distinguished Service… by Korea’s F4 members.”

 

Jan Di bowed in thanks as Ji Hoo passed the thin folder on to her, and the three clapped their private cheers, smiling still.

“Geum Jan Di,” Yi Jung spoke again. “An ending means another beginning. You know that, don’t you?”

“Now go to Macau, to Joon Pyo, and give him a good beating.”

 

“Jan Di, have a safe trip!”