Part One

Origins [Dragon Rider Series]

Taeil’s house was on fire.

He was suffocating. There was smoke everywhere, thick gases that filled his lungs and blocked his windpipe leaving him gasping for air. Each intake was painful, as if someone was dragging a hot knife down his throat. His heart felt like it was about to burst, his mind whirling as he searched frantically for clean air. His hands grasped at nothing for there was nothing he could do to escape.

The room around him was filled with flames, blocking every exit and biting at his skin. There were tendrils their way up his arms making his skin burn white hot and sending him mind into a panic as he tried desperately to beat at the flames that wouldn’t disappear.

Taeil looked around the room desperately for a way out but then the fire was everywhere, consuming him until all he saw was flames.

 

He woke with a start.

Taeil lay in bed, his heart pounding a million miles an hour, lungs gasping for clean air he had been breathing all along. He stared wide eyed at the ceiling, hands the streets as his body slowly relaxed, and came down from it’s high, his breathing returning to normal. His skin felt colder than usual, as if the flames from his dreams had the heat from his body. He waited until he could feel his heart beating regularly in his chest again before letting his eyes shift closed again, fingers loosening on the linen and toes uncurling.

Just a dream, he whispered to himself, flames dancing in front of his eyelids.

Just a dream.

 

“You look like .”

It was ten in the morning and Taeil felt like . He had been unable to fall asleep after waking from his dream, ending up tossing and turning for another few hours until he dragged himself to his shop. The dreams had become a reoccurring experience, projections of his fears that kept the bags under his eyes visible and his nights as sleepless as ever.

“Look who’s talking,” Taeil countered but both he and Jaehyo know it’s not true because Jaehyo’s the son of a nobleman and to look anything less than perfect would have been a crime.

Jaehyo pretends to look offended though as he leans against the counter where Taeil sits and separates herbs for his medicine shop. “I beg to differ!” He exclaimed, “I think today I look quite dashing.” As if to prove his point he glanced over at a few girls walking by and flashed a wink at them. They giggled before dashing away.

“Keep telling yourself that,” Taeil commented offhandedly, shoving Jaehyo’s arm of the counter causing him to flail to balance. Before Jaehyo could bring up another comment on his good looks Taeil hopped off his stool and went into the backroom. “You’re orders ready by the way,” he said dryly as he came back out, a large basket filled with every day medicine in his arms.

Jaehyo grinned. “Great!” He said, clapping his hands together and heaving the large basket over his shoulder.

“How’s your grandmother doing by the way?” Taeil asked, though there was dry sarcasm lacing his voice. Jaehyo might act like a pompous sometimes but he had a kind heart underneath all those layers of expensive clothes. Though he would never admit it, each month he ordered a huge basket of medicine he claimed was for his sick grandmother but Taeil knew it actually went to a small clinic that served the poor at the other side of town.

Jaehyo knew that Taeil knew too but they kept up the act because for some reason he wanted to continue looking like a jerk. “She’s gotten worse actually,” Jaehyo said solemnly while Taeil resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He had seen the old lady a few days ago and she had been as perfectly fine as ever. “I’d like to get more medicine for my next order.”

Taeil just smiled and nodded his head as Jaehyo made for the door.

“Oh, look who’s coming,” Jaehyo’s sarcastic voice drifted back to Taeil and he looked up from where he was sorting the rest of the herbs to be made into medicines for later. Taeil let out a loud sigh just as Jaehyo opened the door and Jihoon practically sprinted inside. The young boy was a few years younger than Taeil but nearly half a foot taller than him. He was practically glowing with excitement, eyes shining as he stepped into the small healer’s hut.

“Taeil!” Jihoon grinned with his loud, low booming voice. Taeil smiled weakly in return. “Oh, hi Jaehyo,” Jihoon commented as he passed. Jaehyo responded with a small smirk before announcing loudly that he was leaving.

“Good!” Taeil yelled after him and he heard Jaehyo laugh in response.

Jihoon was standing in front of his desk, grinning at Taeil like a puppy. Taeil sighed before bringing a halfhearted smile to his face. “Hi Jihoon, do you need something?”

“Yup!” Jihoon nodded his head eagerly. “A batch of itch ointment,” he said, then quickly blushed. “It’s for my dad, of course,” he added quickly, embarrassed.

Taeil smiled slightly before hopping off his chair to go retrieve his order. He knew there were many healer’s Jihoon could’ve gone to before him, but the boy was always determined to come see him. Sometimes Taeil felt bad for he believed he was pulling Jihoon away from his job but when he had brought it up Jihoon had quickly denied the claim and shyly told him that he enjoyed being with him. Taeil hadn’t brought it up again.

“How was work?” Taeil felt obligated to ask as he stepped out of the room and began packaging up Jihoon’s order.

He seemed to brighten at Taeil’s interest, a smile forming on his face. “There was a huge attack in the north but we were able to quickly go and defeat the dragons!” He said proudly. He then held out his arm. “Look, I even got a new scar,” he said, shoving off the long claw mark that was still red.

Jihoon was a dragon hunter, one of the youngest and Taeil thought one of the most unsuited for the job. Where the dragon hunters were expected to be dark and brooding, Jihoon might’ve looked the part but he was bright and hyperactive, with big smiles and large laughs. Taeil had to admit he was a decent fighter, having sat and watched Jihoon with his sword for hours on end at times, but it always surprised him that this young boy with his bright eyes and chipper smile could kill a dragon.

“Do you want me to look at that?” Taeil asked as he glanced over the claw mark.

Jihoon shook his head, long blond bangs falling into his eyes. “No, I talked to the healer and he said it was healing alright!” He grinned.

Taeil just nodded before finishing packaging the medicine and placing it on the desk. “There you are,” he said, letting a small grin slide to his face.

At that moment Jihoon seemed to realize that he had no more reason to stay and eyed the medicine with distraught. Taeil suppressed a small laugh. Jihoon reached a hand to scratch behind his ear before smiling sheepishly. “So, are you doing anything today?”

Taeil looked over at the clock. “I have to collect herbs in the forest this afternoon.”

Jihoon brightened. “I can go with you!” He offered enthusiastically.

Taeil turned back to him, surprised. “Jihoon, you’re a dragon hunter,” he said slowly, as if explaining a concept to a child. “You must have a lot of things you need to do.”

But Jihoon shook his head, grinning from ear to ear. “Nope! There’s a big festival in the capital today so I have the day off.”

Ah, right. He had almost forgotten that today was the celebration for the king’s birthday. Taeil found it silly. Their king was young and inexperienced, having come to power because of his father’s unexpected death. He had done a decent job in protecting the capital, though Taeil believed it was more on the part of the dragon hunter’s leadership than anything, but he had left the smaller villages on the outskirts of the capital like Taeil’s home almost completely unprotected. It was no wonder his dreams had been getting worse. The attacks had.

“Then shouldn’t you be celebrating?” Taeil asked, attempting to keep the distaste out of his voice. He had no love for the capital and he didn’t think he ever would.

Jihoon let out a small childish laugh and Taeil was once again reminded that this dragon hunter in front of him was still a child. “I’d rather spend it with you,” he said sheepishly.

Taeil felt his face flush but instead he just offered the boy a small smile. “Come on then, I want to get back before it gets dark.”

 

Taeil was secretly glad Jihoon had gone with him, though he would never have admitted it. The forest marked the end of the capital’s land. The village was lucky in that there were many important and valuable herbs inside the forest, but they were also much more vulnerable to attacks. It was huge, uncharted and while Taeil had traveled it many times before it was still a dangerous area and had to be traveled with caution. Taeil brought his bow and quiver with him but he knew up against a dragon he would be killed in seconds. It was comforting to have a trained warrior by his side, Jihoon’s sword strapped to his waist.

“Jeez Taeil, wait up!”

Taeil paused in his tracks, blinking in surprise that his trained warrior wasn’t actually by his side but several feet back. Jihoon came stumbling after him, falling over roots and getting hit in the face by overhanging branches as he tried to catch up. Taeil had to suppress a smile, he had walked these paths for years and had gotten used to the terrain. It seemed his city boy didn’t seem to have had the same training.

Jihoon came to a stop next to him, huffing loudly as he tried to catch his breath. “For such short legs you can really walk fast,” he gasped out.

Taeil rolled his eyes and started walking again, ignoring Jihoon’s indignant comments about walking slower. He had just turned a corner when all of a sudden there was no ground underneath his feet and suddenly he was falling headfirst down a hill.

Luckily it was not too deep but Taeil still landed hard on his shoulder, a small cry of pain escaping his lips. He pulled his legs close to his body, taking slow breathes as he tried to suppress the waves of pain and assess his wounds.

Jihoon was yelling his name and scrambling through the forest and soon Taeil heard a body land softly beside him. “Hey, are you alright?” He could hear the worry in his voice.

Taeil pushed himself up and Jihoon quickly grabbed his arm to support him. He sat there for a few moments, rotating his shoulder and wincing when it throbbed painfully. Other than his arm he could feel a few scratches on the side of his face and his palms where he had tried to catch himself, but otherwise he seemed fine. “I’m okay, just landed a bit hard.”

Jihoon still looked worried but Taeil waved his concern away. “Really, I’m fine,” he assured as he stood up and brushed his clothes off, moving his shoulder subtly to try and disperse the pain.

Jihoon didn’t look like he would stop worry anytime soon, no matter what Taeil said, but Taeil’s attention was drawn elsewhere, finally looking at their surroundings. “What is this…?” He asked in confusion, looking around. He had fallen down what seemed like a hill but instead it turned out to be more of a dip inside the ground. Over the rocky ground the inside was covered with twigs and leaves that had softened his landing and probably saved him from a broken arm.

Jihoon was froze in his spot, looking like he was trying to process something. Taeil started walking towards the middle of the circle where it dipped down the most. “Taeil…” Jihoon began but Taeil had already spotted something in the ground, white spots surrounding something dark that reflected the sun’s rays. He knelt down, ignoring Jihoon’s voice which was becoming increasing louder, and reached down into the dip. The ground was surprisingly soft and Taeil realized that the small white spots were actually feathers. Underneath the layer of feathers was something surprisingly warm.

His fingers tightened around it before pulling it from the nest of feathers. It was beautiful, with rounded layers that looked similar to fish scales, its surface smooth like polished rock. The rays of the sun glinted off the black onyx surface, turning the egg shaped rock purple.

It was only when Jihoon gasped that Taeil realized that was exactly what it was.

A dragon egg.

Jihoon suddenly let out a loud curse that in surprise Taeil nearly dropped the egg. Jihoon almost never swore. “That’s a dragon egg!” He gasped, pointing an accusing finger at the thing in his hands. “Taeil, give it to me.”

For some reason, instead of letting go Taeil’s fingers closed over the egg’s edges, pulling it closer to him and feeling the warmth seeping through his fingers into his chest. He could feel a faint thump coming from the egg that Taeil recognized as a heartbeat.

“Taeil,” Jihoon said, voice more forceful.

Taeil didn’t know why but he didn’t want to give the egg to Jihoon. He knew deep down dragons were dangerous and that anything related to them should be destroyed immediately, especially an egg that could one day grow up to become a threat, but Taeil couldn’t let this creature be destroyed that had done nothing to him except exist.

“No.” If Taeil was surprised by his own words, Jihoon was flabbergasted.

“T-Taeil!” Jihoon said, reaching a hand up to run it through his hair in frustration. “But that’s a dragon egg!”

“It hasn’t done anything to you,” Taeil countered, pulling the dragon egg closer to his body, feeling the warmth through his shirt. He felt strangely protective over it and the only threat right now was Jihoon.

“But Taeil, it’s a dragon!” Jihoon repeated, emphasizing his distress. “They kill people. They’ve destroyed towns, villages, families, even children! If that egg hatches it will just become another dragon that is a threat to all of us. Let me take care of it.” Jihoon reached out his hands gently to take the egg.

Taeil looked up at him, looking into his eyes and realizing that he just wanted to help. But he couldn’t. Taeil gave a small shake of his head.

Jihoon jumped back, letting out a frustrated sigh as he raked his hand through his hair again. Taeil had never seen Jihoon like this, he seemed much older and Taeil could see what many years of training had done to him. It made him sad to realize how much they had taken from him.

“Taeil please, just give it to me-”

“Wait!” Taeil held up a hand, eyes wide. He had sworn he had heard something in the distance. Jihoon seemed to have heard it too for he paused, leaning towards the source of the sound.

“It’s-”

“The alarm,” Taeil finished for him, eyes widening.

Forgetting his wounded arm Taeil was up in a flash, clutching the dragon egg to his chest. Jihoon made a move for it but Taeil dodged out of the way, placing the egg gently into his bag, cushioned by the herbs they had collected. He glared at Jihoon. “Later!” He snapped.

Taeil heard Jihoon let out another frustrated sigh but he was already climbing up the hill. Jihoon ran up it with ease, stopping at the top to help him up the rest of the way, being careful of his arm. Then they were running through the forest, this time Taeil being the one who was falling behind.

Taeil could smell the smoke before he saw it. He had smelled it many times before in previous attacks and more recently had sensed it numerous times it his dreams. He could feel his heart rate increasing, fear taking over his body.

No, it couldn’t be happening.

He could see the trees thinning out in front of him and he knew he was close. He sprinted through the last section of the trees, heart beat ringing in his ears, and then all he saw was fire.

It was like he had returned to his dreams again. There was fire everywhere, consuming his whole village. The smell of smoke surrounded him, making his head spin. The sound of the alarm going off rang in his ears and he could faintly hear the sounds of screaming underneath the smoke. A loud roar echoed in the distance and he felt a shiver go down his spine.

All of a sudden a hand grabbed his shoulder and yanked him back. Taeil nearly hit out at the person before realizing it was Jihoon. He gave another hard pull at his arm, trying to pull him into the safety of the trees. Taeil struggled in his grip, trying to escape.

“Taeil stop!” Jihoon cried, keeping his arms locked around Taeil’s as he struggled in his hold, trying to run towards the burning town. “There’s nothing you can do!”

“I have to do something!” Taeil yelled. He felt his elbow connect with Jihoon’s chest and the boy’s grip loosened with a grunt, giving Taeil enough time to squeeze out of his grip and launch himself down the hill. He had only gone a few steps before a large force knocked into him, bowling him over and sending them both sprawling to the ground.

“There’s nothing you can do,” Jihoon whispered close to his ear and Taeil felt all the fight go out of him, going limp because he knew what Jihoon said was true. His whole town was burning to the ground and Taeil could do nothing but watch. He felt wet hot tears slide down his cheek sand felt his body begin to shake uncontrollably. Jihoon gathered him into his arms and held tight while he cried into his shirt. “I’m so sorry Taeil.

“I’m so sorry.”

 

Taeil stood outside the burned down remains of his medicine shop. It had originally been his mothers, passed onto him when she moved to the capital, and had grown to become his second home, his pride and joy. The outline of the shop remained but the roof had collapsed and the walls falling to pieces. He shoved the door open and it fell from its hinges, hitting the ground with a loud groan. He paused for a moment before stepping onto the threshold.

The inside was no better. Boxes full of medicine had fallen over on one wall and all that remained of a collection of jars on another were the shards on the ground. His desk where he did his work had fallen onto its side, the drawers falling out and sending papers splaying across the floor. Taeil made his way carefully across, wincing at the sound of glass crunching underneath his bots. He went behind the desk and opened the door to the backroom. It seemed to be in the best condition. It had originally been a closet that had turned into storage and while the back wall was charred and its contents thrown around the room, Taeil found that most of it could still be usable.

Feeling numb, Taeil began picking things up that had survived the least damage. Jaehyo came a little later, picking up the bag of supplies that would be delivered to the healers the capital had sent. He gave Taeil a look of pity and had opened his mouth to say something but Taeil shook his head and walked away.

A knock came from the front door and Taeil nearly laughed because there was barely any door left. Jihoon stepped through the remains and looked around. He then turned to Taeil and offered him a small, kind smile. “I brought some of the things from your house,” he said, holding up a bag.

After the dragons had disappeared Taeil had carefully removed himself from Jihoon’s arms then they had walked side by side down the hill toward the village together. It was in shambles.

No one and nothing had been spared. Houses were burned down, some even unrecognizable. Dead bodies littered the streets, useless weapons abandoned on the ground. The survivors were dragging themselves out of the safety of their houses, cries of despair filling the air as people looked upon the remains of their home.

Taeil had set to work, helping as many people as he could stay alive before the group of healers sent from the capital had arrived. He hadn’t seen his mother but he hadn’t expected to. She was worth too much to be wasted on their small village.

Unable to help anymore Taeil had wandered the streets. He had passed his home but after seeing the crumbling and charred remains of his small house he had passed by without a word, his heart throbbing a bit more painfully in his chest. It was then that he found his shop and only a bit later he realized Jihoon had disappeared.

There was too much sorrow in his heart that he couldn’t bring himself to care.

With a silent word of thanks Taeil took the bag from him. Inside was a decent amount of clothes that smelled like smoke, the remainder of his stash of arrows, a small box filled with his own personal medicine collection and a few pictures of his mother and brother. He didn’t have to ask Jihoon what had happened to the rest of his things because he knew it hadn’t survived the fire. He didn’t have much originally but it hurt to realize that this was all he had left. He went to move his remaining possessions into his bag when his fingers touched something warm and he suddenly remembered the dragon egg.

It pulsed against his fingers, as if taunting him with its life and Taeil had the sudden urge to smash it to a billion pieces. He dropped the rest of his things, causing Jihoon to jump in surprise, grabbed the egg and raised it above his head.

It pulsed once in his hands, the warmth of the egg seeping through his skin.

He paused.

Then slowly lowered his hands.

Jihoon was watching him warily, as if he was an animal in a corner. Taeil surely felt like one. He realized that if he wanted to stop this war, this pain and hate and sadness, there was only one thing he could do and he knew he wouldn’t be easy. But it would have to be done.

“I’m going to make a deal with the dragons.”

 

Jihoon was quite sure Taeil was out of his mind. For a brief moment Jihoon had been sure Taeil was going to destroy the egg but then suddenly he had backed down and proclaimed he was going to find the dragons. Head spinning, Jihoon hadn’t been able to say anything before Taeil had launched himself across his shop into the backroom, emptying his bag with him. Jihoon followed him in a daze, belatedly realizing Taeil was pushing food and other supplies into the bag in a haste.

“You’re what?” Jihoon finally spit out, staring at Taeil like he couldn’t believe what he was doing. Which he couldn’t.

Taeil didn’t even look up from where he was preparing a box of emergency medical supplies. “I’m going to find the dragons.”

Jihoon gasped. He wondered if the fall had somehow messed with Taeil’s head. “Taeil, they’re dragons! You can’t just waltz up to their home and proclaim you want to talk!”

Taeil snapped a look at him, eyes narrowed. “Then what do you suggest I do?” His voice was icy.

Jihoon gulped and felt a shiver run down his spine. He had never seen Taeil so angry. He could see how determined Taeil had become and it scared him. “Nothing! Leave it to us, we’ll take care of the dragons.”

Taeil suddenly stood up and Jihoon instinctively backed up a step, for once intimidated by the elder. “I am not going to sit on the sidelines any longer and watch people die while the capital does nothing,” he snapped and Jihoon winced at his tone. “This war has gone on for too long and the king has done nothing to stop. Someone has to end this.”

“But why you? What can you do Taeil?” Jihoon asked, practically pleading with him. “The dragons will not spare you. They will kill you.”

“I can’t just sit back and watch the things I love fall to flames anymore, Jihoon.” Taeil said softly. He then gave him a small comforting smile that did anything but. “Besides, I have their egg, they won’t do anything to me.

But Jihoon just shook his head because he knew dragons and he knew Taeil’s mission was doomed.

 

Taeil hefted his bag over his shoulder before slipping his quiver over his back and making sure his bow was in easy reach. He turned back and looked at the village he had left behind. He could see small figures that marked the survivors, moving slowly around as if still trying to absorb what had happened. He could almost see the dead look in their eyes, the way they didn’t shine anymore, like their world had disappeared and Taeil’s heart ached because he knew the feeling. He looked over the remains of the village he had lived in his whole life, committing the sight to memory.

On his way out he had spotted Jaehyo and had quickly hid behind one of the buildings still standing. The man had been carrying a girl who was coughing weakly, whispering comforting words to her as he ran towards the medical station. Taeil had been tempted to stop and say goodbye but instead had stayed hidden, knowing his friend would try to convince him to stay. It was easier this way.

He did though feel bad for not saying goodbye to Jihoon. The boy had disappeared sometime while Taeil had been packing and he hadn’t wanted to stay any longer inside the village. He knew Jihoon had his best interests in mind but he had to do this.

Taeil was nearly at the top of the path near the forest when he heard someone call out his name, the sound of quick footsteps gradually getting louder.

Taeil turned around and was surprised to see Jihoon come running up the path, stopping next to him to gasp for air. “For short legs you really do walk fast.”

This time Taeil couldn’t suppress his smile. He quickly tried to smother it though, attempting to look chastising. “What are you doing here Jihoon?”

Jihoon caught his breath before straightening up, the bright smile back on his face that Taeil realized he had missed. “I’m going with you, of course.”

Taeil raised his eyebrows, surprised. “Why?”

Jihoon laughed and slung his arm around Taeil’s shoulders. “Who else is going to protect baby Taeil?”

Taeil rolled his eyes at the old nickname before shrugging Jihoon’s arm off his shoulders. Jihoon grinned at him.

Taeil glanced back down the valley at his home. From up high it looked how he remembered but he knew the damage that had been done would be irreversible. Things would never be the same. He could hear Jihoon breathing next to him and he lapsed in the silence for a few moments, letting his heart calm to the sound of one of the only familiar things that had survived. The warmth coming from his back from the egg snapped him out of his thoughts and he turned back to Jihoon, giving him a warm smile.

“Let’s go.”