Reading and Writing basics- The Alphabet

Learning Korean

I'm going to start with reading and writing because it just seems to be more.. tidy if I do...

So! To begin with... this is the Korean Alphabet. Now as you should know, there are some sounds/letters in the English language that don't exist in the Korean Alphabet such as R, F, Z and V. These letters are sort of replaced by another sound. 

These are the consonants

ㄱ (g)

ㄴ (n)

ㄷ (d)

ㄹ (l, r)

ㅁ (m)

ㅂ (b, v)

ㅅ (s)

ㅇ (silent)

ㅈ (j, z)

ㅊ (ch)

ㅋ (k, c, q)

ㅌ (t)

ㅍ (p, f)

ㅎ (h)

 

So these are the first parts to writing ONE syllable.

You might now be wondering 'Where are the vowels? They're the most important parts.' Yes the vowels are the second part of a syllable.

These are the vowels.

ㅏ (u) -like the u when you say under

ㅓ (o) -like the o when you say of.

ㅣ (I) -like the 'I' when you say... Illegal. ㅗ

(o) like the o when you say Oyster.

ㅜ (oo) like when you say noodle? -.-; sorry... can't think of anything better...

ㅡ (eu) like when you say euh! When something is creepy and disgusting

ㅠ (yoo) sounds as it looks

ㅛ (say your and stop before you say the r)

ㅕ (yoh)

ㅑ (yuh)

ㅐ (eh)

ㅔ (this also makes eh)

ㅒ (yeh)

ㅖ (this also makes yeh)

So this is the second part of writing a syllable. It can stop here or go up to a part 3.

Part 3 is like the end of a syllable. We use the same characters as the first part of writing a syllable. Yes when i say the first part, it means that we are bringing these back: ㄱ ㄴ ㄷ ㄹ ㅁ ㅂ ㅅ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎ So just remember that all the letters sound exactly the same except for the ㅅ and the circle. Which it ㅇ <- this thing. When you write it as a first part, it's silent right? That's silent because we use it if we want to write a syllable starting with a vowel. However! Since that was the beginning and this is the end, that little circle makes a 'ng' sound. You know what I mean right? You know the 'ng's in 'jumping', 'singing' and a whole lot of other words ending in 'ng'? Yeah. That's what it sounds like.

So for example. 종 is jong.

- the ㅈ is the j

- the ㅗ is the o

- the ㅇ is the ng

 

And the ㅅ.

So this character used to sound like a 's'. But now, it makes a 't' sound.

For example

빗 is bit

ㅂ- is the b

ㅣ- is the i

ㅅ- is the t

 

These are the basics so try and remember these and you shouldn't have a big problem when trying to read. The extention/advanced stuff shall come later~