Where You Are

Love in the Rain

Jong Hyun pouted.

 

It had been three days he could not move from his bed. He could not even go to the bathroom to do his ‘business’. He was stuck to his bed like stamp on an envelope. He was bored to death.

 

TV shows did not amuse him anymore. Dramas were all the same. His interest in variety shows dropped down significantly; somehow he could not laugh watching them. And do not make him start on the hospital food. Nothing ever tasted as bland as the porridge he had been eating. The fruits were tasteless. He never missed his favorite pork soup this bad in his entire life.

 

He turned his head towards his hyung who was seating on the chair beside his bed. Boom hyung looked focused while reading a magazine, he did not realize that his brother from different parents was looking at him intensely.

 

“Hyung~” Jong Hyun called out.

 

“Hm..” Boom did not even flinch or showed any response besides that small hum.

 

“Hyung, I’m bored.”

 

“So sleep.” Boom flipped the page, acting like Jong Hyun’s nagging was nothing.

 

“But I’m not sleepy.”

 

“So watch TV.”

 

“It’s not interesting.”

 

“So read.”

 

“You know I don’t like reading.”

 

Boom hyung lost his patience as he closed his magazine and threw it to Jong Hyun’s face, “Such. An. Annoying. Little. Bastard.” He got up from his chair and walked out of the room, feeling frustrated.

 

Jong Hyun sighed as he looked at Boom Hyung closed the door. Even Boom hyung got tired from having to watch over him. Argh! He wanted to get out of this hospital so bad.

 

The 23-year-old boy then took his phone from his bed side table. He scrolled down his contact list, looking for names. He was thinking of calling somebody and asked that person to come here. Maybe Yong Hwa, his best friend and roommate from college. Both were from Busan and had known each other since high school, when they attended a music academy together.

 

Yong Hwa, that punk, had only visited him once since he was admitted to the hospital. It was about time he showed his loyalty to his best friend.

 

But as he looked at Yong Hwa’s name, he hesitated. What good would come from having that punk here? He saw him at home all the time. He would see him again every day when he got out from the hospital. He might as well have some peace before having to go back living with that choding again.

 

As he scrolled down his contact list, his eyes caught up on one particular name. She had not been paying him a visit lately. The last she was here was two days ago. Now, somehow, he kind of missed having her around.

Without thinking, he clicked her name and sent her a text.

 


 

She was super exhausted that day. Two photo shoots in a row, one for the cover of CeCi Magazine in a studio in Cheongdamdong, the other one is for a commercial spread in Seoul Tower. The CeCi shoot was quite okay since it was done in a studio, where it was warm and cozy. But the one in Seoul Tower was really tiring. It was cold outside. The wind was almost unbearable as she had to work outdoor.

 

If it wasn’t because she needed money to finance her final project in college, she would never do the outdoor event.

 

“I’m home!” She shouted to nobody as she was currently alone. Seohyun, her roommate, went back to her parents’ house in Jeonju for a few days.

 

Yoona threw her bag, coat, and herself on the couch. She closed her eyes for a little while, trying to sooth herself out of exhaustion, enjoying the warmth provided by the heater in the apartment. As she was enjoying herself, she felt her phone vibrated from inside her coat pocket. She took it out lazily, wondering who the heck contacted her in a cold night like this.

 

From: Lee Jong Hyun

Message: Are you sleeping?

 

Yoona did not understand why she was smiling when she read his text. They grew closer as she had spent quite some time in the hospital, so she could say that they were friends. They even talked in banmal already. And friends texted each other all the time, didn’t they? It was just a casual text, ultimately.

 

But something fluttered in her stomach. She knew exactly what it was. She wanted to run away but somehow, her heart did not want to move anywhere. She kind of enjoyed this feeling, even though she understood what reason that should have prevented her from having this kind of relationship with another boy. See, a matter of the heart was quite complicated, wasn’t it?

 

To: Lee Jong Hyun

Message: Nope. Just got home from work. What’s up?

 

She clicked the ‘send’ button after considering the substance of her message for a second. She did not want to seem desperate by replying the text immediately. But she also wanted to look like she was interested. Confuse? Yoona was confused too. She had not been doing this pushing and pulling thing with a boy in a while. So it was kind of difficult for her to make sure whether or not she was doing the right thing.

 

She kept looking at her phone for a few seconds, waiting for a reply. But instead of a reply message, her phone rang for another reason.

 

He called her.

 

“Yoboseyo?” said Yoona after she calmed herself. The phone call was so sudden. She kind of lost her breath for a second.

 

“Yoona-yah, annyeong!” He greeted her in glee. She could imagine his dimple as she heard his cheerful voice from the other side of the line. That imagination brought a smile on her face too, making her looked like a looney for smiling by herself.

 

She curled herself on the couch, trying to look for a more comfortable position while talking on the phone with Lee Jong Hyun.

 

She knew it would be one long phone call because three and a half hours later, she found herself still curling up on the couch, holding her cell phone which was being charged, talking with Jong Hyun about how We Got Married was a cruel program because it might cause damage to the couples’ hearts – should they experienced real feelings to one another.

 

And to her surprised, the smile did not fade.

 


 

Author's Note:

Hello, readers! Are you there?

I hope you guys are still there reading this story ^^

I know it feels awkward continuing this story since I paired Yoona with Jong Hyun, considering the fact that we all know she is currently dating Lee Seung Gi. Not that I'm against her dating him. In fact, I support her. She can date anybody whom she loves. Idols are human after all.

But for the sake of our imagination (which sometimes runs wilder than it's supposed to), let's continue this story. At least, if the Yoona-Jong Hyun pair isn't together in real life, let them be in our imagination.

Enjoy this chapter! I'll try to update as often as possible.

 

Cheers,

Noona2969