The Ebbs and Flows

Blending Harmonies

The atmosphere on the elevator was filled with excitement. Donghae was jumping up and down slightly and it made Hyuk dizzy so he ended up leaning against the wall with Donghae in front of him, hugging the singer close to his chest. On their way up to the top floor, where Hyuk’s apartment was located, their hands found themselves intertwined and Hyuk’s head rested on Hae’s shoulders, breathing in the vanilla shampoo he loved.  Donghae smiled as he hummed along with the elevator music that kept repeating itself over and over again.

 

Hyukjae couldn’t help himself. God knows how hard he tried but he couldn’t do it. He ended up turning Donghae around, wrapping his arms around the other’s hips, and pulling him closer, their chests touching. Donghae put his hands on Hyuk’s chest and tilted his head, slightly concerned at the other’s action and was only answered by a smile by the painter before their lips found themselves reacquainted. Donghae smiled at this and kissed back, wrapping his arms around the taller male’s neck. It was a slow kiss, only involving lips, but every once in a while a bottom lip would bec tugged at teasingly. The duo would have continued had they not been interrupted by the ding of elevator, indicating that they have reached the destination.

Hyukjae lead him to the door that hid his surprise and pulled the keys out. His hands were shaking from excitement and he found it difficult to focus on finding the right key when Donghae wrapped his arms around his waist and rested his forehead on the painter’s back. Finally finding the right key and pushing it through the keyhole, Hyuk pried Hae’s arms from around him, turned around and placed the arms over his shoulders.  Wrapping his arms around Hae’s waist, forehead resting on the other’s, Hyuk whispered, “You ready?” and smiled when he got a vigorous nod from the other.

 

Donghae walked through the door, not expecting the surprise to be so big. He didn’t even know how Hyukjae had it brought to his apartment, considering the surprise’s size and Hyuk’s apartment was on the top floor of an 8-story apartment complex. As soon as he saw it though, tears brimmed his eyes and the biggest smile crept onto his face.

 

There, in the middle of Hyukjae’s living room, was the most beautiful grand piano he has ever seen.  But it wasn’t the shine that captured Donghae’s eyes nor was it the piano’s size that pulled at his heart. It was each delicately, hand-painted swirl and curve that were on its black surface. Donghae covered his mouth with both his hands and turned around to meet the piano’s artist.

 

“It’s… It’s beautiful!!” Donghae managed to say between his sobs. Tears flowed down his cheeks as he ran to Hyuk and embraced him. The painter laughed at his boyfriend’s state and hugged him back, rubbing his back and kissing his hair. Donghae cried into his boyfriend’s chest, uncaring of the tears staining the leather jacket.  Hyukjae didn’t care though. He loved doing things for Donghae and he couldn’t even count the number of songs Donghae wrote for him.

 

Hyukjae pulled back and smiled at his boyfriend’s tear-stained face. Using his thumbs to wipe away the tears on Hae’s cheeks, Hyuk leaned in and kissed him softly. “I saw the piano and thought of you and I knew it was missing something.” Hyuk kissed Hae’s forehead before grabbing his hand and led him to the piano. Sitting down, he pulled Hae to sit on his lap. “I only meant to paint the keys but… I went a little crazy.” He lifted the wooden cover to reveal that the keys were also painted with swirls and curves with an occasional music note or heart. This only caused Donghae to cry harder and to bury his face in his hands even more.

 


After a good hour or so of trying to stop his boyfriend from crying a river and nearly crushing him in a hug, Hyukjae succeeded in getting Donghae to sit on his lap, eating strawberries, and laughing over a show that they’ve been watching. Only Hyukjae wasn’t watching. He was too busy admiring and falling for the man currently on his lap and strawberry juice dripping from his chin. Hyuk wiped it away with his thumb and Donghae smiled at the action which earned a peck on the cheek for Hyukjae.

 

            Seven episodes later, Donghae was in his boxers waiting for Hyukjae to finish with a shower and throwing a pillow in the air.  Once he heard the door open, he immediately held the pillow to his chest and “hid” from his boyfriend. Hyukjae smiled at the adorable playfulness of Donghae and played along. He crawled onto the bed and grabbed the pillow, pulling it down so the two could only see each other’s eyes. Even as they gazed at each other, they couldn’t help but drown in each other’s eyes. A smile crept onto Donghae’s face as he pushed the pillow aside to pull Hyukjae in a hug.

 

            The couple lied in each other’s arms, hands clasped together and breaths mingling as one.   Neither wanted to fade into slumber but as eyelids were beginning to become harder to keep open, Donghae finally breathed out the words he’d been longing to say. “I love you” was what ghosted over the skin of Hyukjae’s neck and the painter only smiled as he pulled the other closer and kissed the sleeping singer on the temple and whispered back, “I love you too” before slipping into unconsciousness. 

The End


OMG!!! I am so sorry it took me so long to update this fic. I hope you guys enjoy this since this is my first fluffy fic. Please do comment your critiques. I promise I won't get mad. I'll actually feel flattered that you took the time to read this and even more to comment. I love you all!!!