Brushes and Keys

Blending Harmonies

I am so sorry for such a long wait for an update. I was really thinking hard on how to write this story because I loved it's prequel's plot so much. Here's the update and I hope you enjoy!!!


 

One month, four days, and 2 hours has passed since his and Hyukjae's "meeting". Two weeks, one day, and 12 minutes after, Hyukjae asked Donghae out on their first date and five days, four hours, and 14 minutes since Hyukjae asked him to be his boyfriend. And now, two minutes until they can go on their first date as an official couple. Donghae wasn't keeping time. He was just………He didn't even know why he kept time.

 

"What is going on with me? Every time I think about him, my heart just wants to jump out of my chest," Donghae thought as he rubbed the spot where his heart was beating erratically.

 

Donghae nearly screamed as the sound of his doorbell sounded through his place. "Is that him already?" Donghae asked himself and checked his watch. Yup. It was Hyukjae. 3:00 on the dot. Donghae scrambled off the couch and ran towards the door, pausing with his hand over the knob, his heart practically in his throat, and opened the door. 

 

There he was, just standing there, gorgeous and perfect. "Hey," those plump lips said but Donghae didn't hear it. All he heard was his own heartbeat as he stared into Hyukjae's beautiful, almond-colored eyes. Only when Hyukjae waved his hand over his face that Donghae snapped out of it.

 

“H-hey!! S-sorry………. Ummm, come in.” Donghae stepped aside and watched the other stride past him and into his apartment. Donghae closed the door and tried to breathe as he his heart nearly leapt out of his chest. He turned and met with those same eyes again.

  

“Hae? Are you okay? You seem sort of out of it today.” Hyukjae walked closer and put his hand gently on Donghae’s forehead, feeling for a temperature. When he didn’t feel anything, he released a sigh of relief before putting his hand on the Donghae’s cheek, on which Hae leaned towards the touch and smiled at the sweet gesture.

 

“Yeah. I’m okay. Just tired, I guess.” Donghae sighed and looked up to meet with Hyukjae’s eyes. Hyukjae smiled and leaned forward to brush the tips of their noses together, earning a blush from the other.  Both parties smiled before doing what they haven’t done in three hours, five minutes, and 47 seconds. It was just a kiss with lips but the intensity and passion between such a simple exchange was enough to send hearts soaring.

 

It was only a minute but it felt like an eternity before the lips parted with smiles of happiness. The two men kept their close distance and Hyuk was the first to break the silence. “You ready?” A nod came as a response and Hyuk smiled before pecking Hae’s cheek. “Let’s go then.” With hands clasped together, Hyuk lead Hae out of his apartment and to his car where they were to get ice cream before seeing what Hyuk’s surprise was.

 


 

The car ride was a pleasant exchange of shy smiles and snuck-in glances at one another.  Donghae was tapping out the beat to whatever song playing on Hyukjae’s radio and Hyukjae felt every tap send electricity throughout his body. He smiled at the thought of having someone like Hae so close to him, to call the singer his to have. Never has he felt something like this so clear and strong towards someone else.  The encounter in the auditorium was something that he will never forget and every moment with after that with the male next to him was even more treasurable. Hyukjae just hoped that Donghae felt the same.

 

 The ice cream shop was even better.  Donghae picked their table in the darkest-lit corner while Hyukjae went to buy the ice cream. He bought one bowl of chocolate ice cream with fresh strawberries on top for Donghae and strawberry ice cream with chocolate chips on top for himself. As they sat in front of each other in their own island of content smiles and an occasional laugh from a funny story being told, the couple had to force themselves to eat the melting ice creams in front of them.

 

Two empty bowls in the middle of a table were left as the two lovers got up and left the shop and its occupants to once again enter the seclusion of Hyukjae’s car. In the five days, four hours, and 56 minutes of their relationship, Donghae will be the first to witness what goes on behind the closed door of the painter’s apartment. Will there be paintings on the walls that their creator has kept for his eyes only? Will there be canvases everywhere, all with unfinished brush ? Donghae sighed as he snuck the 107th glance to the said male at the thought of being one of the few privileged people to see the possibilities of future works from the painter and it had him biting his lips to prevent a wide smile from crossing his lips.

 


Author's Note:

This has turned into more than one chapter because I wanted Hyukjae's surprise to have it's own light and because I've been thinking about it so much and the surprise has had me smiling to myself like an idiot in public. I'm not very good at fluff but I do hope you like this. Please comment and subscribe!!!! I would gladly appreciate it. Thank you for reading my story!!!