Tactical Disposition

The Art of War

 

Interception : First Fallen Star

 

Dans un petit jardin, tout rond, tout rond, tout rond, Il y a des poireaux, des carottes, des radis, des tomates, des pommes de terre, Et une petite rivière qui coule, qui coule, qui coule!

 The traditional French nursery rhyme was humming in the air, like a tingling bell from the tower, happiness and sun beamed through the palace windows. The sound of laughter brimmed in the long corridor.

News traveled faster than bullet in the air. Servants and maids were crazy polishing the surface, cooks prepared the most exquisite dishes; even the people were restless.

 

For the young Crown Prince of France, it was an amusing sight. Louis who spent his time in diplomatic table and court had seen his fair share of beautiful women. Still he saw nothing special for the girls that will be his queen a few years ahead.

 

Oh, yes. He had seen their photographs. Some of them were truly stunning, another dozens were the princess he’d known and even talked while the others were unfamiliar.

 

“Still thinking about your would be fiancée?”

 

The soft voice of his elder sister greeted him. Claded in soft orange t-shirt and white jeans, she sat on the couch next to him. One of the maids hurriedly brought a bowl of fruit and yoghurt.

 

“It’s not eating time, yet. It will spoil your appetite.”   

 

He reprimanded her gently. French deeply ingrained tradition and habit wasn’t allowed people to eat snack except goûter which was eaten around 4 P.M.

 

She stopped eating for a moment before snorted unladylike.

 

“Thanks. I certainly am still hungry the moment dinner comes. I hope those delegations won’t late for the banquet.”

 

She narrowed her eyes, remembering some occasions when foreign people were late and made the dinner delayed.

 

It was so polite of them.

 

“I hear Jerome’s coming.”

 

He hoped to distract her by mentioning her old crush and smiled triumphantly at the blush that adorned his sister’s cheeks. The heir of Parma, only son of the Astorian King was so shy around his eldest sister the last time he visited.

 

“Yah! Frederick Louis Roi! What do I say about mentioning him so carelessly?!”

 

Shrieked laughter and ten pillows later, both of them lay tiredly together on the grass with Philippe and Beatrice exasperatedly watched them while enjoying the sight of oranges and flowers.

 


 

Louis Roi and Maria Reine. Two different names that was fated to be together. Dauphin that carried the name of the Ruler and her name that linked for the Queen.

She set her lips in one line, recalled how her own sister thrown them from the family.

 

How the mighty House of Habsburg disowned three daughters from her late mother and chose the half sister to be their heiress in the journey towards French banquet.

 

She watched her helplessly half brother tried to protest. Jerome was kind but he was just another weak pawn that wasn’t worth anything.  

 

Her blood boiled whenever the name was spoken, the sheer humiliation that they were suffered, the filth daughters of Habsburg, a title that certainly weren’t them since they were the legitimate ones.

 

Crystal. Your heart wasn’t as pure as your name.

 

Hands smoothed her blue silvery gown, the sight of her elder sister worrying them. Rex, the youngest and most diplomatic but not levelheaded had sent a panic message for their father. Hopefully His Majesty would send his aid, for the King still loved his children even with his new marriage.

 

“Don’t worry Jesse. We’ll be okay.”

 

She noticed the little tremor that her sister desperately trying to hide. The fireplace wasn’t warmth enough for all of them. Sophie and Rex were particularly sensitive towards the cold air. Despite her age of fourteen years old, Rex was still a little girl in the sisters' eyes.

 

The loyal maids were working relentlessly, hoping to convert more body warm. The rest of the guards were patrolling around.

 

Jesse linked their hands together in a rare display of affection, both of them were seated on the high chair while Rex was carefully composing letter for the King of France and Navarre.

 

She focused her eyes at the white porcelain bowl with carved dragon, it with soft touches.

 

“We will become Queen.”

 

A strong voice echoed through the rooms, prophetic sound that fulfill a long lost forgotten promise, carried dreams of three princesses towards the sky.

 


 

Guests filled the Ballroom. The guards announced the delegations and their heiress and princesses.

Both Duke of Anjou and the Dauphin were carefully walking together, eyes trained at them, searching flaws that were hidden from the body languages.

 

“The heiress of Habsburg looks fantastic.”

Philippe suggested in low voice.

House of Habsburg was the King of Astorian’s house from His Majesty’s mother’s side. An old Royal House which produced many Kings through Europe. As the sole heiress, Princess Henriette carried the title and gave the Dukedom of Habsburg for her son and heir, the now King.

 

Although having several children, the King wasn’t in hurry to name them in the Astorian House; as Astorian law stated, children of King just carried the title as Heirs of Habsburg but not as the Royals of Astorian.

 

Only the Prince and Princess of Astorian, title that was approved by the King could enter the court and made political and important international moves and decisions.

 

Still, the candidate of Astorian Royal family was a fantastic label, since the country was wealthy and well beloved by the people; they had the prestigious Electorate of Llelewyn and having one of the strongest army in number, weapons and loyalty in the world.  

 

 
Both brothers were never engaged in conversation with the heiress of Habsburg before.

“Careful, Louis. She’s Max’s.” Vincent suddenly said; stopping her brother attempt to greet the heiress and the Duke of Anjou winced.

 

“What’s she doing here then?”

He whispered furiously.

 

Louis hated liar and lying. Cheating and cheater. No way in the name of Hades he would marry a princess who had dedicated herself for another man. Lover may be, but paraded herself with the other candidates of dauphine of France? And becoming the Queen? It would not happen. Not now and certainly not in another ten thousand years.

 

Before he could make a scene, a frantic Beatrice intercepted him, dragging him back to his siblings.

 

“They’re not here.”

 

Vincent paled, stepped out of the room faster than wind.

 

“Which ones is not here, sister?”

 

“Heiresses of Habsburg. I’ve heard that they arrived two weeks ago but I see none of them.”

 

“That’s her.”

 

Louis sent a pointed look towards the soft pink dressed princess; an action which was mirrored by his brother.

 

“That is not the Heiress of Habsburg.”

 

The frigid voice that never been used by his sister reverberated in the vast room. Heads were turned to the rare sight of enraged Madame Royale who walked swiftly to the center of the room and facing the Austrian, spoke mockingly.

 

“Is the House of Habsburg trying to lower House of Bourbon by sending a filth of the House for France's bridge and future Queen? The House of Bourbon would never acknowledge the illegitimate child that wasn’t born from the womb of Princess Marie Sophie, granddaughter of France and the late Crown Princess of Astorian as Heiress of Habsburg. ”

 

Crystal glared at the eldest daughter of the King while people muttered about Duke of Habsburg scandal that caused an uproar with an American trickster woman fifteen years ago.

 

“And neither are we.”

 

Young and melodious sound resonated in the winter air. Three figures stepped in, dressed in immaculate gowns of silvery lavender, earthy red and ocean blue silks. Guards announced their arrival.   

 

“Alexandrina Ciel, Maria Reine and Sophie Auguste. The Heiresses of Habsburg and the Princesses of Astorian have arrived.”

 

No!”  

 

AN:

Characters in this chapter, if you’re not familiar with them:

Frederick Louis Roi, dauphin of France : Andrew Choi, Siwon.

Vivienne Vincent Auguste, madame royale : Vincent Lee, Sungmin.

Beatrice Boa Leonore, madame seconde: Boa, Kwon.

Philippe Louis, duke of Anjou:  Zhou Mi

Jerome Juan Carlos of Parma: Jerome Kim, Yesung.

Caroline Crystal of Austria: Krystal Jung, Soojung.

Alexandrina Rex Ciel of Astorian: Junghee/Jonghyun, Kim.

Maria Jesse Reine of Astorian: Jessica Jung, Sooyeon.

Sophie Auguste of Astorian: U-Know, Yunho.

 

Reine literally is Queen in French while Roi means King. That’s why their names linked. Both carried the Ruler title while still a Prince and Princess.

 

Terms used in this chapter :

While Crystal was children of the King, she was technically one of the Heiress of Habsburg. House of Bourbon didn't acknowledge her because her mother wasn't a legitimate wife of the King and the King's first wife was granddaughter of France, member of French Royal Family.

Jerome in the other hand was acknowledged as the Heir of Parma and Heir of Habsburg because his mother was the King's second wife, the Duchess of Parma.

Prince and Princess of Astorian only became ones if the King approved them to enter the House of Astorian. Thus, the King could have many children but only a few handful of them could become the Prince/Princess.

Astorian didn't follow Salic law, women could reign, especially if their name were registered as Princesses of Astorian. That was why Jerome wasn't the Crown Prince, even if he was the only son the King had.