Laying Plans

The Art of War

The Art of War

Part I

The Bridge

 

 

The room was painted in soft cream, adorned with green jades in lower wall and the cold white marble floor. Wine-coloured rugs covered almost all the room, while hundred of shelves stood proudly, displaying the depth knowledge of Astorian Private Library had collected over hundred years.

Dark orbs narrowed in unusual seriousness when she saw her eldest daughter read and analyzed some scholar problem. It wasn’t such a big secret that her not-so-little daughter only held three important things in highest regards, science, her sisters, dancing and singing.

Her brother had influenced his weak husband for the prospect in alliance with Russia.   

“You realize that your father had prepared arranged marriage for you since the beginning, dear Sophie.”

The woman finally stood, her knee-length hair cascaded like waterfall, with only platinum lily-shaped hairpin pinned her ebony locks, framed her pure aristocratic features. She elegantly marked the page and closed her book before facing her mother.

“I will marry Tsesarevich, Mother.”

Her tongue was perfect when she pronounced the word Crown Prince. All of her daughters had penchant for languanges.

Those chocolate eyes were suddenly burning, roaring like the breath of the hearth and flaring the rage of thousand suns. The innocent and childish smile suddenly turned into a shark smirk for a second that made the Queen froze in fear. She really needed to consult to her brother soon. What if they were accidentally awoken another Dragon of Astorian? 

“I will become the Empress of Russia.”


Her straight nose inhaled the scent of fabrics that were presented around her. Lilac, lavender, lemongrass, and other unique scents they used for the silk, satin and taffeta, the favourite fabrics of her eldest sister.

With easy, she pointed the Japanese white silk and lavender brocade. She also planned to use the rare fur that the Crown Prince gave her sister as a gift. The seamstresses nodded at her command. She would use the pearls of Rhein, treasures of her House, her own gift as younger sister and Grand Duchess of Rhein in the wedding dress. No doubt, her little sister would make the darkest heart of Astorian, a stunning dark blue diamond that rivaled French blue into an equally stunning necklace.

Her blank smile turned razor sharp for a moment.

Mother and Uncle were foolish if they hoped that they could dispose her eldest sister by throwing her into Russian’s arm. Maximillian was a cold person, someone who was in the same level of arrogance with her, especially considered with his upbringing. Being underestimated as spare, yet the eldest son carelessly refused to jump into politic, made his education severely lack and he was scorned as a crown prince. With his own genius level of intellectual, he rose to power, made himself a more than a worthy heir and most favourite for his father and Russian people.

She snorted, if her Uncle planned that to discredit and mocked Russian by giving them weak Empress for the young Emperor, then he must prepared to fail.

“Amber, I want to rest.”

Her cold voice echoed through the vast room. Soon, a bronze haired butler in black blazer, crisp white blouse and black slacks came, followed by nine maids. Two prepared her bed, two were changing her current attire into her favourite light blue sleeping gown, one combed her long golden hair others were cleaning her room and bringing her tea.

As she comfortably lay in her soft bed, she mused.

For all the enemy, the innocent smiles was the one you need to be wary of.


Marcus grew tired of Theodora’s rants. When that woman opened , all she could talk was clothes, diamonds, make-up and whatever the latest gossips she could get on those manicured fingers of hers. Yes, Theodora Seo was intelligent and could achieved whatever she wanted since she had the money, the brains and the beauty. She was educated as a very definition of prim and proper lady. However her sheltered childhood would be a hindrance for him. She never saw the black, ugly and twisted underworld.

He needed someone who held political power and true experiment if he wanted to rule the United Kingdom and Commonwealth realms and prevent his chivalrous-righteous stupid elder brother to sit on the throne.

His eyes wandered at the attendances. Long black hair, contrasting with the alabaster skin and yellow dress that hugging her perfect figure.

His smile became predatory as he walked towards the beautiful candle that catching his eyes.

One, she was extremely different from the rest of ladies. Her appearance had certain air innocence many that they lacked, however he had no doubt of the brilliant mind that shone through those eyes.

Two, she danced and conversed easily with Caesar Casey Christian, Danish ruler who was famous for his sharp tongue.            

Three, when the handsomely Crown Prince of France and Navarre, Frederick Louis kissed her cheeks and her hand which the blue diamond rested at the princess’ ring finger known for everyone eyes, Marcus grinned triumphantly.

Here he decided, Vivienne Vincent Auguste nicknamed Pumpkin by her brother, madame royale would become his bride to aid his succession to his right place, the British throne.


Golden hair flowing into brilliant curls, put into a simple and elegant bun. The petite, middle Princess of Astorian wore an unusual white piece of brocade dress, one that ended in her knees, surrounding her shoulder with the beautifully sewn lovely green and pink pearls. The brilliantly cut and famous French blue diamond adorned her neck. With a grace of a queen, she danced slowly with her fiancé, Dauphin of France, Frederick Louis.

Not too far from her, the eldest Princess of Astorian, the one that inherited the prestigious title the Electress of Llelewyn was also enjoying the dance with her betrothed and also his younger brother, Tsesarevich Maximillian. The couple would be married in two months. While the Crown Prince appeared to be bored and cold, the Princess still danced enthusiastically, with an elegance of a swan in that modest yet beautiful dark purple long dress.

Almond shaped copper orbs were staring at him in fraction of second, clearly challenging him.

Ivan Jae James, Velikiy Knyaz of Russia looked at the light green summer dress with jade carved of Chinese dragon that pinned to show off the youngest Princess’s slim waist before smirked. His angelic beauty marred for a moment, allowing his devil façade came to live. Inwardly, he cackled in sadistic glee.

Oh, those ladies of Astorian! He would enjoy breaking them one by one!

 

 

 

AN:

Unless he isn't obvious enough with his english name and sharp tongue.

Caesar Casey Christian, King of Denmark : Casey Kim, Heechul.

And also he is.

Marcus Marc William, Duke of York : Marcus Cho, Kyuhyun. 

And these fellows.

Vivienne Vincent Auguste, madame royale : Vincent Lee, Sungmin

Theodora Seo Anna of Savoy : Seohyun. 

Frederick Louis, dauphin of France : Andrew Choi, Siwon. Because Andrew wasn't a French name.

 

Terms used in this chapter :

Dauphin of France : The Dauphin of France (FrenchDauphin de FranceIPA: [dofɛ̃])—strictly The Dauphin of Viennois (Dauphin de Viennois)—was the title given to the heir apparent to the throne of France from 1350 to 1791 and 1824 to 1830. The word is French for dolphin, as a reference to the depiction of the marine mammal on their coat of arms.

Madame Royale : Madame Royale (French pronunciation: ​[madam ʁwajal]Royal Lady) was a style customarily used for the eldest living unmarried daughter of a reigning French monarch.

Velikiy Knyaz      : Grand Duke, Grand Prince, any sons of Tsar. 

Tsesarevich       :  Heir Apparent of Russian Empire

An Electress (GermanKurfürstinLatinelectrix) was the consort of a Prince-elector of the Holy Roman Empire, one of the Empire's greatest princes.

The Golden Bull of 1356 established by Emperor Charles IV settled the number of Electors at seven. However, three of these were Roman Catholic archbishops, and so had no formal consorts; while of the four secular Electors, one was King of Bohemia, and his consort was always known by the more prestigious title of "Queen of Bohemia". The consorts usually referred to as Electresses, therefore, were:

To these were added, in 1623 and 1692 respectively:

In this story, The Electress of Llelewyn was created at the same time with The Electress of Palatinate, Saxony, and Bradenburg.