Letter 13

[EDITING] Letters of Reminiscence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunji and Jongin are bickering over something when Sarang reaches her locker; Jongin has, as usual, joined Eunji at their lockers to squeeze in some time to hang out before classes begin. When Sarang gets closer, she hears the topic of their argument:

“Take it back.”

“Why should I?” Jongin snorts. “I’m not wrong.”

“You sure as hell are wrong,” Eunji retorts, narrowing her eyes. “Big Bang doesn’t deserve that kind of treatment from a boy who’s accomplished nothing so far.”

Jongin rolls his eyes. “I’m in middle school. Of course I haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

“By the time Jiyong oppa was your age, he was composing three songs a day as his training,” Eunji responds defensively. “There are people out there who are making something of themselves while you’re sitting here and playing games on your phone all day. And you have the gall to look down on my oppas?”

“Big Bang?” Sarang interrupts. “Isn’t that the new idol group?” She’s only aware of who Big Bang is because, contrary to what their name suggests, they have turned out to be a smaller hit than projected.

Eunji must be able to read her mind because she turns her disapproving gaze on Sarang. “They’re new. Give them a chance to find their own sound and style, and mark my words: they’ll be sweeping all the charts within a few years!”

Jongin and Sarang don’t look convinced, and Eunji huffs in frustration.

“Why am I trying to convince a couple of doofuses who can’t recognize true talent?” she grumbles, stuffing her earphones back into her ears. “Leave me alone. I don’t have time to entertain peasants.”

Laughing, Sarang opens her locker to deposit her books for the day. “Have you guys heard of Sehun’s old friend who’s transferring to Anyang today?”

Jongin nods. “Yeah. I’ve met him a couple times before he moved away, but I don’t remember what he looks like. But according to Sehun, he’s really nice.”

“Hey, guys.”

All three friends turn to see Sehun, who’s accompanied by a stranger flanking his right. Sarang looks at him curiously. That must be his friend.

“This is Jackson,” Sehun introduces, placing a hand on Jackson’s shoulder. “He was born and raised in China, but he’s lived in Korea for a while now. He can speak Chinese, English, and Korean.”

Jackson holds up a hand and his face splits in a grin that contrasts how intimidating his resting expression is. “Hello.”

“And these are my friends Eunji and Sarang. You’ve met Jongin.”

Jongin and Jackson blink at each other, and Sarang bites back a smile at the utter absence of recognition in both their faces. Nevertheless, they exchange a fist bump that’s become normal between boys greeting each other.

“Nice to meet you, man,” Jongin says, and Jackson nods.

“You too, dude.”

“What classes are you in, Jackson?” Eunji asks, having taken one earphone out to listen to the conversation.

Jackson holds out his schedule, which looks freshly printed out from the office, and the four friends lean in to take a look at it.

“We have gym and writing together,” Jongin says with a satisfied nod. “Nice.”

“Math, world history, and biology.” Eunji grins. “Hey, Sarang, that means you’re with us in those too!”

Coincidentally, those are the three classes Sarang shares with Eunji, and in addition, Sarang is also in literature with Jackson. She gives him a small smile. “I hope we become good friends this year.”

Jackson turns his dimpled grin on her. “Likewise.”

For second period, Sarang is in biology with Eunji and Jackson. When she arrives in the classroom, the two have already found seats beside each other, and Eunji waves Sarang over to join them. “You’re lucky you’re in this class with us,” Eunji notifies Jackson. “Sarang’s really good at biology, so she can help us a lot with homework.”

“Don’t exaggerate, Eunji. You’re just as good with all your classes.”

“You say it like I can pass without your help.”

Sarang turns to Jackson. “What’s your favorite class?”

Jackson doesn’t hesitate to answer, “English. Or lunch.”

“No wonder you’re friends with Sehun,” Eunji laughs, “and you’ll get along with Jongin just fine.”

“How’d you meet Sehun?” Sarang asks while setting up her desk for note-taking.

“We used to live in the same apartment building before I moved,” Jackson answers. “He was a quiet kid, always playing alone on the playground, and I bugged him into playing in the sandbox with me.”

Sarang laughs in amusement. “Did you keep in touch all these years?”

“We found each other on Facebook and messaged back and forth every once in a while. What about you guys?”

“Sehun was friends with Sarang’s best friend,” Eunji explains, “but he graduated middle school and goes to Inha High now. I became friends with Sarang, and Sehun just kinda came with the package.”

Jackson chortles. “Inha High? Isn’t that the famous high school that has a great athletics program?”

I don’t know, but if Luhan oppa went for soccer, then I suppose it is. “I believe so.” Sarang nods. “Do you do sports?”

“Fencing. My dad’s really into it, so he had me start from a young age.”

“Really? That’s so cool!” Eunji’s eyes are wide. “Do you do club fencing outside school then?”

“My dad and I are still looking for a club to join in the area, but I probably will soon.”

“Doesn’t Inha High School have a top-rated fencing team?” Eunji asks, turning to Sarang, who shrugs.

“Yeah, they do. That’s why I transferred to Anyang; it feeds directly into Inha High, even though it’s a further bus ride away than Youngnam Middle School.”

Conversation continues until the teacher arrives to commence class. The whole group reunites at lunch, where Jongin learns about Jackson’s fencing and asks him to teach him sometime.

Just as Jackson and Sehun are telling a story from their childhood, Sarang receives a video call request from Luhan. Eyes wide, she picks up without a moment of he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter