Letter 9

[EDITING] Letters of Reminiscence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The new school year seemed to pass by even faster, what with the days filled with studying and spending time with friends.

But eventually, a day of significance dawned on the world, and Sarang awoke in good spirits to the smell of the seaweed soup her mother was cooking for her birthday. Rubbing her eyes with a sleepy smile, she grabbed her glasses and climbed out from under her covers, trudging out to the kitchen. She was most surprised to see her mother still there, contrary with other mornings when her mother had already left for work.

But nope, there she was, stirring a steaming pot of seaweed soup while humming a happy tune. “Good morning,” she greeted Sarang with a small smile, “and happy birthday.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Sarang grinned with dewy eyes. Her mother had never been home long enough to make her seaweed soup for her birthday, and she couldn’t deny that it felt nice. “Don’t you have to get to work?”

“I had enough vacation hours to be able to take a couple today,” she replied, kissing the top of Sarang’s head. “Seaweed soup tastes best when it’s fresh.”

Agreed. Sarang was served a bowl of fresh seaweed soup with rice and several other extravagant side dishes, many of which were her favorites. Her mom reached into one of the cupboards and produced a small box wrapped in brown paper, which she pushed towards Sarang across the table. “Here you go.”

Sarang blinked. “What’s this?”

Her mom gave her an absentminded smile. “It’s a surprise.” She stood and went to her room. “I’m going to get ready for work, all right?”

Once she’d disappeared from sight, Sarang carefully pulled open the wrapping and saw the box for a white Samsung Galaxy S3. Wide eyes with incredulity, she raced to her mom’s bedroom and threw her arms around her. “Thank you so much! Thank you, thank you, thank yo—!”

“Sarang, please,” her mother interrupted with a frown and a raised palm. “I’m on the phone.” She gestured towards her own cell phone—an older Samsung that lacked the latest features and could barely keep up with modern advancements—and freed herself from Sarang’s vice-like grip.

“Oh.” Sarang watched as her mother walked towards the bathroom and shut the door behind her, a quiet click emphasizing that Sarang wasn’t welcome in her presence at the moment. An all-too-familiar pang of hurt attacked her suddenly-hollow chest, and she stayed rooted to the spot, staring at the closed door for a moment. But the ringing of the clock in the living room reminded her that she was running on a time limit, and she hurried to get ready.

After all, she had a whole day to spend with Luhan. And who knew what fun activities he’d suggest for her birthday?

With an influx of renewed excitement, her mother’s brisk dismissal was quickly pushed to the back of Sarang’s mind. She left the apartment, shouting a “I’m leaving!” over her shoulder, and knocked on the door of Luhan’s.

The raps of her knuckle against the decaying wood was answered by not Luhan, but his mother. “Oh, Sarang!” She looked surprised to see her.

“Hi, Mrs. Lu,” Sarang greeted, peeking around her. “Is Luhan oppa ready?”

“He left some time ago, actually,” she replied, looking confused. “I thought you two had already met up.”

Thunderstruck, Sarang couldn’t formulate a response.

“I’m sure he’s waiting for you at the bus stop, dear,” Mrs. Lu said with a comforting smile. “And happy birthday; Luhan wouldn’t stop talking about it last night.”

This cheered Sarang up slightly. He hasn’t forgotten!

Thanking Mrs. Lu, Sarang speed-walked to the bus stop, convinced that Luhan would be waiting for her there, but a small part of her doubted it. And true to her suspicions, the bench was empty. Acquiescing that he’d gone off without her—although she couldn’t figure out why—Sarang dejectedly went to school on her own for the first time since she’d become bus buddies with Luhan. What is going on?

The strange events didn’t stop there. At school, Eunji sat several seats away from where she normally sat (next to Sarang,) and Sehun and Jongin didn’t even acknowledge her existence. Heck, even Hwan didn’t stop by her locker before lunch to say hi.

A despairing Sarang felt her heart sink every time her friends caught her eye and looked away like they didn’t even know her. But the fierce optimism that Luhan had instilled in her heart refused to give up hope. Maybe Luhan oppa will be another story. Despite how unrealistic her expectations were, she forced herself to anticipate math class.

But even when he sat right next to her…he didn’t even spare her a single glance.

As the hours passed, it became more and more evident that he didn’t want to talk to her at all, and Sarang began to shrink more and more into herself again. What’s going on? And why does it have to happen on my birthday?

She withheld tears for the rest of the day. After the encounter with her mother this morning, this was just the cherry on top of her “Have a Miserable Day” cake.

To make matters worse, her classmates’ whispering seemed even worse than usual.

“What’s up with Luhan and his friend?”

“Maybe they had a fight.”

“She looks more affected by it than he does.”

“Or maybe he just went off to find better friends,” snickered the particularly malicious ones.

And slowly but surely, Sarang felt her resolve to stay happy and keep her chin high dissolve under the mean comments.

Once school was let out, Sarang walked to the bus stop alone, feeling down. This wasn’t how she’d pictured her birthday to be like, now that she had real friends to celebrate it with. I thought they cared.

By the time cram school classes were let out, it was dark out and Sarang was on the verge of tears. I didn’t know my birthdays could get so much worse. At least in previous years, I didn’t have anyone to hold hope in.

Suddenly, the screen of her new hone lit up with a notification of a text message, and she stared at the neatly-printed font.

Come to the playground right in front of your apartment ASAP.

Huh? Sarang glanced around her surroundings. Who could have my number already? I didn’t give it to anyone, and this isn’t my mom’s number either.

Nevertheless, she headed towards the playground with little hope for what lie ahead. My birthday couldn’t get any worse, so I may as well check it out.

The playground was dark and empty, like it always was at this time of night.

“Hello?” Sarang called out dubiously, doubtful that anyone would answer. After about a minute of standing there in the dark, alone, with no response, she began to give up hope. Of course someone would play a prank like this on me, especially on a special day like this. About to cry, she turned to leave…

…when the playground lit up like Champs Elysees at night.

What the—? Sarang turned around to face the playground again and finally saw Sehun, Jongin, Eunji, and Hwan emerge from their hiding spots. “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!” And Luhan emerged from behind the slide, holding an ice cream cupcake that was melting lopsidedly with a candle burning in the middle of it.

“You guys…” Sarang trailed off, so immensely touched that closed and prevented any further noise. She just stared at her circle of friends. “Is this why you all avoided me in school today? I thought you all began hating me!”

Hwan shot a look at Luhan. “I told you that part was a bad idea!”

“Hey, but the surprise is that much better because of how horrible she felt all day!” Jongin scoffed and Sehun smacked his forehead with the palm of his hand as if to say, “I cannot believe you.”

“That sounds horribly sadistic, oppa.” Eunji rolled her eyes. “Do you know how guilty I felt when I watched Sarang slug through the day?”

“No, it’s okay, guys, really,” Sarang laughed. “I’m just so relieved that you guys don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter