Of Lost Opportunities

Days of Summer

“Yoo-hoo! Earth to Yoona.” Yuri snapped her fingers in front of Yoona’s face, making her friend jump.

 

“Sorry!” Yoona said, flushing a bright shade of red. “I was lost in thought.”

 

“What were you talking to Ok Taecyeon about?” Seohyun probed.

 

“What?”

 

“Ok Taecyeon, you know, our handsome and muscular head lifeguard. We saw the two of you talking and when he got up to leave you had this vacant stare on your face. You didn’t even see us come in the room. What did he say to you?”

 

“He’s a jerk,” Yoona stated, wrinkling her nose.

 

“Listen to that. Ok Taecyeon has our best friend in a tizzy.” Yuri feigned shock.

 

“Don’t tease me,” Yoona grumbled.

 

Feeling sympathetic towards Yoona, Seohyun said, “Maybe he made a rude remark. Did he? Did he make a crude pass at you?”

 

“All guys are crude,” Yuri interjected. “Except for my Minho. He’s an angel.”

 

“What did Ok Taecyeon say to you?” Seohyun persisted.

 

“He thinks I’ll be a ‘delicious experience.’”

 

“Whoa, that’s way out of line,” Yuri said. “We can have him reported.”

 

Yoona shook her head. “He didn’t mean it to be crude. It was more like a general comment, you know. Like an observation.”

 

“I think we need to dissect the whole conversation. Find out what this guy’s deal is.” Seohyun said.

 

Yoona eyed the wall clock and yelped. “Oh my goodness! My scholarship appointment is at noon and it’s already a quarter to twelve.”

 

“We can still make it.” Yuri consoled.

 

“Come on. We need to go.” Yoona rushed for the door.

 

“Unnie, your things,” Seohyun called.

 

“Bring them, hurry.”

 

“Wait,” Yuri called, scooping up her things.

 

Yoona was in such a rush that she tripped over her own feet. “Hurry! I’ve got to get to that appointment, my future depends on it.”

 

-

 

“I’m here! I’m here!” Yoona yelled, dumping her belongings onto the reception counter of the scholarship office at her university. She had told Yuri and Seohyun that she’d be walking the few blocks back to her apartment and that they should head out for lunch.

 

The lobby was cool and quiet. Yoona’s heart hammered in her chest. “Im Yoona,” she said to the prim and proper receptionist who motioned for Yoona to remove her stuff from the counter.

 

“It’s seems like you’re half an hour late for your appointment,” the receptionist glared.

 

“Yes, yes, I know.” Yoona said, gathering her things in her arms. “But could you please, please, please make an exception.”

 

“I’m sorry,” the receptionist said in a tone that said she was anything but.

 

“Please, you don’t understand how important this is to me. Can I reschedule?” Yoona was on the verge of tears.

 

“Nothing can be done. Listen, I’m doing you a favour by telling you this, but the scholarship you’re going for, they’ve already decided on giving it to another candidate. It’s set in stone.” The receptionist said before disappearing into the back room.


Once Yoona was alone in the room she sagged against the wall. Without the scholarship it would be almost impossible to pay for her tuition, even with all her loans. She knew she’d be spending a lot of time at her new summer job with a certain irksome head lifeguard. She conjured up Ok Taecyeon’s face and y grin. She wondered how delicious he’d find her if he knew about her real life. A life in which she was an orphaned student who was too poor to pay her bills.