Of Delicious Experiences

Days of Summer

Yoona felt the ever-familiar flush of red creeping up her neck and across her cheeks. “I—I don’t know what you mean.”

“Of course you do,” Taecyeon said. “You haven’t given me a single smile since we started out today. And I’m positive I tried to get several out of you. I feel rejected and I don’t know why.”

She gave him a vacant stare, unsure of how to respond. His words reproached, but his dark eyes teased. Was he flirting with her? Sure, boys flirted with her, but never when her two best friends were up for grabs too. They flirted with Yuri, who was gorgeous but who had a boyfriend so was never interested. They flirted with Seohyun, who giggled and acted like a kid in a candy store. But Yoona? Well, she was the last resort.

As her silence lengthened, Taecyeon sighed. “Why don’t you take this ale before I drop it.”

“I—I’m not thirsty.” Liar, said her inner voice. She was parched. Or she had been parched up until he had come over to her. Where were her friends, anyway. Now, come to think of it,  the four other lifeguards seemed to have vanished from the room.

“Come on, drink it while it’s still cold,” Taecyeon sat down onto the arm of the sofa.

“You sound like my mother,” she blurted.

“Well, I’m positive I don’t feel like your mother.”

She blushed and said, “You definitely don’t look like my mother either.”

“Glad we settled that,” he grinned. “So let’s start with something simple. Like, where do you go to school?”

“Dongkook University. How about you?”

“I’ve been around. I’m not really anywhere as of now.”

“Oh. That’s cool.” What a lame thing to say. She’d never been good at small talk.

He took a sip of the ginger ale. “I’m not exactly what one would call an outstanding student. But then again, I don’t really care. But I’ll bet you are, aren’t you Yoona-ssi.”

The way he said her name sent shivers through her entire body. “There’s absolutely nothing wrong with making good grades.”

“Right.” He measured her with his y brown eyes. "You sure you don't want the ale?"

"Positive," she glared. "You've contaminated it with your man germs."

He smirked. “So why’d you apply for this job? Because you want to meet hot guys?”

“No. I joined because my two best friends forced me.”

He laughed, a low throaty laugh. “I like your honesty, Yoona-ssi.”

“What about you? Are you really into this whole saving drowning people thing?” She almost added, “Because you sure don’t look the type,” but immediately thought better of it. He had probably joined just to meet girls.

“No way. I either wore an orange jumpsuit and picked up trash alongside the highway in Boston, that’s in America, or became an unpaid employee here.”

“Her eyes widened. This guy was some sort of criminal from America? “But how—?”

“Friends in high places,” he said, leaning so close that she smelled cologne on his skin.

He body tingled, “Oh.”

He straightened. “My parents are both neurologists in Boston. My older sister is starting her medical residency on a Mercy Ship heading for Africa, and my uncle is the CEO of a conglomerate in Seoul. You might say that the Ok clan is steeped in good deeds.”

Yoona heard an undercurrent of bitterness in his voice, recognizing it because she had experienced the emotion herself. “So what do you want to do profession wise?” She was being sarcastic, and Yuri had warned her more than once about being sarcastic. 'Guys don’t like to be put down.’

Her comment didn’t seem to have any affect on him though. “Who says I have to find a job?” he asked.

“Why wouldn’t you want to? It’s what people do.”

“Getting a job is highly overrated and a lot less fun then I’m having now.”

“Including picking up trash in an orange jumpsuit along a highway in Boston, was it?” He was infuriating her. With doctors for parents, a thrown away education, and his manly good looks, he seemed to be arrogant.

“Would you fall for a guy who wore orange?”

“I would never ever fall for a guy remotely like you.”

“Ouch,” he said, slumping over with his hand on his heart, as if he’d been shot in the chest.

Her face got extremely hot.

He straightened and looked her directly in the eye. “You know, Yoona-ssi, I think I’m going to have a much better time this summer than I was hoping for.”

“And why’s that?”

His y grin emerged once more. “Because I’ve never met a girl like you before. And from my point of view, I think you’re going to be a delicious experience.”

To stunned to respond, she watched him slip off the sofa, toss his empty ginger ale can into the trashcan, and walk down the narrow corridor that led to the innards of the cabana.