IV

The Haksaeng & The Chaebol

I walk out of the library, gift in hand, and knock on the door only a few feet away.

There’s no answer, so I knock again. Still silent, I get irritated, why is he buying me a new tablet? Is it his job to buy me one?! No! It’s Minah’s place to do something about it, then I stop banging on his door and realise something… their engaged… so maybe it is his place to take responsibility for what Minah did?

The door opens with a loud thump as it hits the wall behind it, Howon yells. “What!” He seems irritated.

“I thought you weren’t in there…” I say slightly spaced out. When I look up to him and focus my attention a bit better, I notice he’s stood . Well he’s got a small towel around his waist, barely covering his… ‘man area’. “Yah!” I shout putting my hands up to cover my eyes. “Why are you ?!”

“I was in the shower when you starting your mad attack on my door?” He says calm.

I peek through my fingers and see his wet hair, and wet skin… “Oh, well I just came to give the tablet back!”

“Don’t.” he says simply.

I move my hands, and I’m determined to be serious and not worry about the face he’s currently . “Look, I don’t care that you’re taking the responsibility for your fiancé. I really don’t want anything to do with either of you… so just take—“

He frowns and says. “I’m not taking the fall for Minah, she’s a big girl… she can deal with her own problems, I brought this off my own back because I don’t want Halmeoni to be hurt when she sees yours is broken.”

I frown at him. I don’t want that either, but at the same time I don’t want to feel indebted to him. “I don’t want to owe you anything.” I finally confess.

He smirks and pulls me towards him, my hands ball into fists as I’m tight against his wet chest. “I won’t ask for much then…”

My heart starts thumping. “Yah, Chaebol… stop this now before I start getting angry.”

“Who’s the person that came to my room late at night whilst I was showering; I think you know what you wanted in return for that tablet.” He leans closer to my face and whispers. “My… lips?”

I look away from him and shout. “No!”

“Shhh… you don’t want to wake up the whole house and get sent back to the countryside for playing with the families second oldest sons feelings do you?” He chuckles.

I push him off me and say. “You’re disgusting, I’m not playing with you. You’re toying with me…”

“This isn’t one of those foot drama’s where the rich handsome guy falls for the poor and half pretty girl.” He shakes his head at me and then continues. “Don’t get your hopes up.”

Then the door is closed on my face… what the hell?! I didn’t even want that, he was the one who pulled me towards his wet, toned body and attacked me late at night?! What a ert.

I pull a sticky note from my diary and write down one word on it sticking it to his door.

‘Byuntae’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day and I’m a bit more ready for school, as in, I’m up and ready before it started for a change. The school day wasn’t as horrible today though, no one tried to bully me for being sponsored… I wasn’t socially accepted yet though. Still too poor to be associated with those kind of people. “Hey!!” Chorong calls out to me with a smile.

I smile back and say. “Hi, haven’t seen you all day… where have you been?”

“Uhh, crowd control?” She looks around awkwardly.

I frown at her. “What?”

“Hoya, he’s been gunning for you all day long… I’m glad you don’t know and haven’t seen him.” She makes a satisfied sigh and smiles to me.

“Hoya? Howon wants something from me?”

She shakes her head. “Something about his Halmeoni calling him a byuntae first thing in the morning and him over sleeping, and his halmeoni blaming the fact he ually abused you last night… I’m surprised you don’t know? The whole school has been talking about it.”

“Oh god.” I say with a panicked voice. “He’s going to spread some story about me wanting him and I’ll be sent back to the countryside and---“

“Don’t panic, by the sounds of it his Halmeoni is on your side.” She smirks. “She knows he’s an arrogant too.”

I nod and then there’s a crash through the door, the classroom was the only empty one I could find where I could study in peace… so I suppose since Chorong could find me. Howon could to.

“Oh, there you are. Because of you, Halmeoni has taken my bike away.” He yells coming closer.

Chorong gets up and says. “Hoya, leave her alone. You’re the byuntae who attacked her last night…”

“No I didn’t she’s the one who came to my room late last night and bugged me whilst I was in the shower. Tell her!” He looks to me.

I look to the floor and nod. “It’s true, he replaced the tablet Minah broke, but I took it to him telling him I didn’t want it last night, but he did—try to pull me against him and he was kind of .”

“I was trying to explain to her that her kind could never be with someone like me!” He shouts making me feel like .

But instead of showing my tears, I stand up and say in a stern voice. “Look, I don’t want you. I wouldn’t want you. I’ve got someone back in Damyang, who I like. Get it? I’m not so easy to forget about him when I see someone good looking.”

“You think I’m good looking?” He smirks.

I shake my head at him. “You really think you’re all that. Guess what Chaebol… the only reason I applied was because he was applying for sponsors too, but then he decided he couldn’t leave…”

“I bet he couldn’t get sponsored and that’s why.”

I get angry and shout. “He was always ranked at 1, and I was always 2. Explain that!”

“You’re pretty. Plus you’re a girl.”

I look around. “So?”

“So… as unfortunate as it is… sponsors pick young girls that could be the next big thing, they don’t want their name going on some lawyer or plain doctor. They want someone who is built for greatness… there’s obviously some potential inside of you my Hanabeoji saw, but you’re man didn’t make the cut.”

I lash out and slap him. “He was 1000x better than me.”

“Then why isn’t he here sunshine.”

I run out of the classroom and straight to the coach station located a few blocks away. “One way ticket to Damyang please.”