III

The Haksaeng & The Chaebol

We leave the assembly hall and I’m swarmed by a group of girls. “Wow, usually our sponsored students end up in class F… how did you make it to Class A?”

I sigh and just try to walk past them, but I’m pushed back into my place and I end up yelling. “Yah!”

They scoff at me and then poke my bag, you know the one that was also sponsored. “Wow… you’re sponsors must me big, since that bag is the latest range from Dolce, but then you probably wouldn’t know that.” One says with a smirk.

She’s right I didn’t know that.

“So go on, tell us who you’re sponsored by…” Another asks.

I roll my eyes and say. “I really don’t know, I’ve only ever had contact by mail.”

I pull out my phone and try to type a message to Mr. Jang… but this is proving difficult for someone who has never owned a phone. “Wow. The latest Samsung too… don’t tell me that’s also sponsored.”

“People in Damyang own phones too.” I say, a little unconvincingly.

Once again I try to walk past them instead my bag falls, I start to panic. My new tablet and camera are in there. I let out a sigh and bend down to check it.

One girl leans over me, patting my head. “That’s it, this is your place.”

I look up to her and pull my new tablet, with its cracked screen out of my bag. “This is your fault; you have to pay for it!”

“Why would I have to compensate for that! You shouldn’t have bumped into us!”

I feel my eyes start to well up, I’ve had this for a day! “This is your fault, all because you want to put me into my place? Well guess what, I’d rather be in this place then yours. You think you’re so great because you have rich parents and nice clothes and handbags! I don’t need any of that crap if it turns me into a horrible, spoilt brat like you!”

“Girls!” We turn to see a teacher, stood with Howon of all people, staring at us. “What happened here? Who is to blame?”

One of the crazy, rich girls ran towards the teacher and pointed at me with a stern finger. “That crazy threw her own tablet on the floor to try and blame us!”

“Really?” The teacher says with a convinced look. “Wow, these sponsored kids really don’t appreciate what they’re given anymore.” He sighs and points down the hallway. “Let’s go to my office, for your punishment.”

“Punishment?” I repeat. “Why do I have to be punished? Even if I did throw it, it’s mine to throw?”

He shouts at me. “Because, you have caused a commotion and ruckus in my hallway!”

“That’s right, it’s not like we were looking for someone to pick on.” The girl says then she walks next to Howon and says. “Good thing you’re here honey, this really needs to be made a show of.”

Howon sighs and says. “Is that right? I’m sure you’re not innocent Minah?”

The girl looks to him with a hurt expression. “Yah, if we’re to get married when we graduate you have to be nice to me?!”

So he’s engaged, they really do have these arranged marriages here… but then again they could actually be dating, they suit each other well. Both evil.

“So to get out of this marriage I just have to be horrible?” Howon responds. “Great, Sungsaengnim, look I know Namjoo looks in the wrong here, but I can honestly say Minah is the real troublemaker, and as much as her family may pay into this school just so she can be comfortable, my family pays a lot more. Like for the teachers vacation during the summer time? Where was it my Halmeoni paid for last year, Bali?”

The teacher begins to fidget and I have to supress my smile.

“What are you smirking at peasant!” Minah shouts. “Hoya! I’ll make sure to tell Halmeoni about this!”

He smiles and says. “Go ahead.” The he leaves, along with the teacher and I’m not in trouble. Before that dreadful girl Minah has time to attack me again. I walk back to the classroom and see a girl sat on my desk, the room is empty and I sigh knowing she’s probably going to be the same as Minah.

“Please if you’re going to try and ruin me, break my phone… since someone else has already taken care of the tablet.” I say moving closer to the desk.

She giggles and says. “It’s not like that… I want to be friends.”

“Oh please.”

She pouts and gets her phone out, and then she shows me a picture of her and Sungkyu cutely posing. “I’m on your side.”

“Are you dating Sungkyu?”

She shakes her head shyly. “No, I wish… I have the biggest crush on him but—he doesn’t really see me as that. I’m a friend of their family, I knew about you a long time ago.”

“Right well, I suppose you have to keep quite too.”

She puts her phone away and says. “It’s okay, you don’t have to keep quiet, and Hoya doesn’t make the rules. Tell everyone what family you’re staying with Minah won’t lay a finger on you if you’re sponsored by her ‘so called’ fiancé’s family.”

“How did you know it was Minah that did this?” I say putting my broken tablet on the desk.

“Who else would it be?” She sighs and introduces herself. “My name’s Chorong. Trust me, not everyone is like Minah.”

I nod and it in my seat staring at the tablet. “I need a part-time job, do you know where I can go to get one?”

“Why would you need one?”

I point at the tablet. “I can’t not replace it, it’s broken.”

“Ask for a new one, tell them about Minah.” Chorong says with a scowl.

I shake my head. “No, I don’t want to depend on them too much.”

Chorong pats my shoulder then takes my phone and types her number in. “You only have my fathers’ number in here?”

I pout. “You’re father?”

“Yes, Mr. Jang… the driver is my father.” She smiles.

I nod.

 

 

 

School is over and I’m back in my expensive room, I feel bored and decide to go to the library. “Hello…” I call out as I open the door, I don’t know why I did that—just in case I saw an evil Chaebol around I suppose. I move in the large room and grab a book that caught my attention this morning; I sit on a big arm chair and start to read. Soon the room becomes dark and my eyes become heavy… long day being insulted for being a ‘peasant’. I close the book and put it on my lap, when I look up I see Howon stood there. “How long have you been there?”

“Long enough to know I could probably tattoo your forehead while you read?” He smirks.

I touch my forehead then stand up dropping the book.

“God, you’re clumsy.”

We lean down to pick up the book at the same time, and we look at each other… our faces are close, then I realise his hand is over mine which covers the book. He coughs and looks at his hand; he doesn’t remove it so I move mine. Then I sit back onto my . “I’m not clumsy…”

He scoffs and pulls a box out of his bag, it’s wrapped all pretty and posh. “Here.”

“You got me a gift?” I look away and push it away. “No thanks, it’ll probably kill me.”

He growls and grabs my hand putting the box into it. “Just take it, I’m trying to be nice here… and it’s not a gift. The shop owner gift wrapped it on his own accord.” Then he stands up and leaves the library.

I grow curious of what could be inside the box. So I open it, it’s a brand new tablet… exactly the same as what was destroyed earlier by his fiancé Minah.