01

False Hope

Jieun’s POV

I saw him with her again. They are kissing in an empty hallway. I’ll be lying if I said I’m not jealous seeing them together. His gaze. His smile. And his affections towards her. Like how he used to do to me. That seductive smile and gaze that drove me crazy everytime. And his soft touches on my face. The hand that used to caress my hair. The arms that always embrace me anytime. But, all of that is now gone.

 

It had only be 2 days since our breakup. I wonder how he got over it so quickly. While I’m still struggling to live through the torturous days without him. It’s hard when he gave me the cold shoulder we we passed each other. I wonder if he was sick of me even before we broke up? I may seem okay on the outside but my heart is crying right now. But it’s okay, he met an even better girl than me. Seeing the girl, I remember the incident that happened 4 days earlier.

After English class ended, I went out outside the class and opened my locker to put it my textbooks and notebooks.

“Hmmm, are you Song Jieun?” I heard a quiet voice behind me.

“Oh! Aren’t you Seohyun from Class 3B?”I asked her. I recognized her. She’s the president of the class and also the shy girl of the class. And she’s also one of Kris’s admirer. Wonder what’s she asking me for.

“Kris. You know him right? You used to be his girlfriend, right?” Seohyun’s question made my eyebrows arched up. She continued on.

“Hey, I heard you guys broke up a few days ago. I’m so sorry about  that. But..”Seohyun bit her lower lip. “But what?”

“He asked me to be his girlfriend yesterday. I know I shouldn’t be saying this but thanks for letting him go. I promised you to love him like how you used to. You don’t have to worry.” She held my hand tightly. And those eyes, it showed so much sincerity and gratitude.

I was at the point of breaking down. I bit my upper lip to prevent my tears from flowing down. I don’t know which hurted more. Her words or the fact that Kris broke up with me without telling me beforehand.

“Hey, I have to go to class now. I’m already late.” I let go of her grip and walked on. I turned around only to see Seohyun still standing there. She looked at me too.

“Hey Seohyun. Please make sure you love him. Care for him when he’s sick. Always tell him that you love him. And also, Kris like to be hugged. Make sure you hugged him all the time.”

“I’ll make sure. I’ll never disappoint you.” Seohyun mouthed the words and flashed me a smile.

Instead of going to the next class, I made my way to the rooftop. My tears won’t stop flowing and I don’t want to go to class with a swollen face and puffy red eyes. I went to the rooftop everytime I’m having any problems or it is just for fun. The rooftop had a little garden and  I enjoyed looking at the blossoming flowers and the blue sky. It’s just the perfect place to calm myself. I closed my eyes and felt the cool breeze grazed my cheeks. I laid on a bench and dozed off.

“Jieun-ah! Jieun-ah! Are you dead?”I felt someone poking my tummy and then my cheeks while calling my name. I opened my eyes to see Chanyeol’s face just a few inches away from me. I pushed his face away from me. I hanged my head low. He can’t see my face and red eyes. He’ll be really worried.

“How do you find me here?” I asked him.

“Where in the world would you be if it wasn’t on the rooftop. You always come here when you want to hang out.” Chanyeol answered my question.

There was a silence between the two of us. Only the chirping of the birds filled the place.

“Hey, you skipped class. What’s the school’s best student doing on a rooftop and missing on a period? Having any problems? Girl, you can talk to me whenever you want to. You know I’m always here.”Chanyeol broke the awkward silence. I didn’t respond.

“Jieun-ah, are you okay?” He lifted my head but I smacked his hand.

“What’s that for? It hurts you know.” He rubbed his not-so-sore-and-hurting arm. He squatted down and looked at my face.

“What’s wrong with your face? Have you been crying? Why did you cry? Are you okay?”His many questions I just left them unanswered.

“I’m going to the next class.” I proceed to stand up but he pinned me down to the bench back.

“Not without telling me what’s wrong. Tell. Me. What. Happened.”He emphasized his last words and his voice sounded stiff.

“Chanyeol-ah, you’re scaring me.”I said.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.” He sounded more gentle now. He sat beside me and his hands held onto mine.

“Please tell me what happened. If it wasn’t for me, who are you going to talk about your problems to? I’m your best friend by the way. I deserved to know every little problems that you have. Don’t keep it to yourself. It’ll hurt you much more. You know what they said-friends shares and doubles your joy and divides your misery. Now tell me. Pretty please?”Chanyeol’s held onto my hand tighter.

I looked at him. He smiled at me, flashing his white straight teeth. “It’s okay, you can tell me.”

“Kris, he…”Just the mention of his name, tears started forming in my eyes. It’s torning me apart.

“Kris what? Did you guys fought? Eung?”

“No, he broke up with me.”With much effort to stop the tears from coming out, it eventually ran down my cheeks.

“The heck? What’s wrong with him?” I can see Chanyeol getting angry.

“I don’t know why. He broke up with me without telling me.cI hate him. Hate him to death.”Between the sobs, I told him.

“How did you know?”

“Seo..Seo..Seohyun. They are together now.” I felt like someone stabbed me directly in the heart. That’s just how much it hurts right now.

“You mean the class president of Class  3B. That girl? For like seriously?”

I just nodded. The tears just won’t stop falling. I cried harder.

“Hey. Stop crying will you? You are just wasting your precious tears for a jerk like him. Don’t be like this, please. When you cried, I cried too. Okay? By the way, you looked super duper ugly when you cry. You know you’re the most beautiful girl in the world when you smiled, right?” Chanyeol held my face in between his large hands. He wiped my tears away. In return for him calling me super duper ugly, I pinched his cheeks.

For no apparent reason, I felt better after talking to him. He made me felt like a huge burden being lifted from my shoulders. He made me feel light. That’s just how great of a friend Chanyeol is. He’s always there for me whenever I’m feeling down, sad or happy. He’s the one that I came running to when I’m having problems. He’s my problem solver and counselor. He’s the one who brought the sun into my gloomy days. Fits so well for his nickname as the “happy virus” in our school. Not even Kris made me smiled as much as Chanyeol did.

“How about we spend the rest of the school period here? Hmm?” Chanyeol suggested.

“I guess so.” I agreed.

“Your brain is going to come out from your  small head because it can’t keep your big brain inside. Your brain keeps getting bigger because you’re always studying. Even the smartest student in the school has to take a break from reading all those boring books. Right, Jieun Neutron?” Chanyeol’s joke made me laughed.

“That’s mean.” I hit his shoulder playfully.

“Your ears keep getting bigger because you’re always listening to my problems. You can fly like Jumbo with those big ears of yours already. Even Jumbo would lose to your ears already.” I made fun of him. I smiled at him and he returned it with a bigger smile.

“Now that’s prettier.” Chanyeol patted my head.

“Ya! I’m not a dog you know?”

“You’re even cuter than a puppy. Haha.” Chanyeol’s compliment made me blush. Then the school bell rang, indicating that it’s already time to go home. He walked me home today. It’s always Kris the one who sends me home but I guess he didn’t come to school today. I don’t see him waiting for me near the school gate. Even if he’s waiting for me, I don’t even want to see his face.

We arrived at my home. Chanyeol said his goodbye and hugged me for a short while. I didn’t feel awkward at all. He had hugged me so many times. I mean, we’re best friends since kindergarten. Best friends hugging each other isn’t awkward, isn’t it? He broke the hug.

“Jieun-ah, call me whenever you are alone or you just need a company. I’ll come running to you. And please don’t cry, you look ugly if you cry. Our Jieun is the prettiest when she smiles.” Chanyeol hugged me for the second time. This time, I wrapped my hands around him.

We bid our goodbyes and he ran off to his house which is only about a block away from mine.

“Chanyeol-ah, thank you.”

 

Hi guys~! This the first chapter!! How do you like it? Is it okay? Well, I hope you enjoy the first ever chapter of the story :)) And thanks to my first 5 subscribers~~!! I love you~! This is my gift to you :333