Krisber.

Krisber.

This was the third time. The third time Kris ditched you to go out with Amber. You sat there staring at your phone. It was getting pretty late; you wondered when Kris was going to get home. You ended up falling asleep on the couch that night waiting for him.

———

Babe, get up”, Kris said, slightly shaking you.

Huh?”, you replied, looking around, still half asleep.

Come on, go sleep in the room. Why were you sleeping out here anyways?”, he asked as he picked you up.

I was waiting for you to come home”, you said groggily, rubbing your eyes.

You don’t have to do that. I’ll always come home back to you no matter what, and if I don’t—”, he said softly.

You fell back asleep before catching the last of his words.

———

You were watching random videos on YouTube and decided to look up Amber’s ideal type just for the hell of it.

Ahh, my ideal type? Lately, now a days, Kris from EXO haha

So Kris huh? That was somewhat unsettling. Okay, very unsettling. You regretted looking that up. You decided to text Kris to see where he was at. You haven’t heard from him all day.

You: hey babe, wyd?

No reply. About 30 minutes later, you still didn’t get a reply so you decided to text him again.

You: babe?

Still no reply. You just left it at that. You didn’t know where he was, but you definitely knew who he was with. There was no doubt in your mind he was with her…

———

You were getting ready for bed now. You still haven’t heard from Kris. You checked your phone one more time. Maybe he texted or called while you were in the shower. Nope. No texts. No calls. You went to bed alone that night.

———

You woke up, reaching blindly over to Kris’ side of the bed. No sign of him. Guess he never came home.

You walked outside to the living room, stretching and yawning. Your eyes were deceiving you right? You were just still sleepy right? You rubbed your eyes again and shook your head. It wasn’t a dream. You weren’t still sleepy. 

Kris and Amber were really sleeping together on the couch. She was curled up in a little ball, her head resting on Kris’ shoulder, with a blanket over her. He was slouching in a sitting position with his head leaning on hers. 

You stood there frozen, not knowing what to do. Then suddenly Kris moved. You hurried and tried to run away. You turned and stubbed your toe on the corner of the couch.

Owwww!!!”, you involuntarily shouted out.

Kris and Amber jerked up immediately. The three of you stared at each other. No one saying a word. Only an awkward, heavy atmosphere lingering.

U-uh, sorry”, you quickly apologized as you ran back into the room.

What were you apologizing for? Idiot. It’s not like you did anything wrong. You locked the door after running into the room. You sank to the floor immediately, resting your back against the door.

I-I think you should talk to her before she misunderstands”, you heard Amber say.

Yeah, I will. Do you think you could get home by yourself? If not, just wait a while until I’m done talking with her and I’ll take you home”, Kris said, his voice dripping with concern.

He was taking care of her and thinking of her until the end. As you listened to their conversation, you noticed it seemed like he was more concerned about Amber’s well being than about yours. You wanted to be mad at Amber. You wanted to so bad but it was so hard. She was such a nice and sweet girl. You couldn’t bring yourself to have ill feelings towards her. Kris on the other hand, you were mad at him. Mad and upset. You felt betrayed. He didn’t lie, but he didn’t tell you what was going on either so that was just as bad.

No, I’m fine. I can get home by myself”, she said.

Alright, just be careful. Call or text me when you get home okay?”, you heard him say.

Then you heard the door open and close. Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

Babe, open up”.

You didn’t answer him. You didn’t know what you’d say if you saw him right now. You didn’t know if you would curse him out. You didn’t know if you’d start crying. You didn’t know. You sat on the floor hugging your knees, resting your chin on them. You continued to listen to him knocking on the door and trying to explain himself.

Babe, what you saw…

It’s just a misunderstanding

We went out drinking and she drank too much

I didn’t want her going home by herself so I brought her over here. I knew you wouldn’t mind”.

You knew I wouldn’t mind? Yeah, I wouldn’t if you let her sleep on the couch and you came and slept in your own bed instead of sleeping out on the couch with her. If you did that I wouldn’t have minded”, you thought.

Babe, can you please open the door”.

After a minute of silence, you heard something that sounded like him leaning against the door and sliding down into a sitting position. He sighed heavily.

How long will it take you to forgive me?

How come when he talked to you, it sounded like it didn’t have an ounce of sincerity, like it was more of a burden, but when he was talking to her or about her, his voice was filled with concern and worry?

You never did open the door, and he never tried to pick the lock to come in either. You slowly got up and dragged yourself to bed, burying yourself under the blankets and pillows, taking in his scent. You knew he had to go to work the next morning, but you couldn’t bring yourself to open the door for him.

———

The next morning he was gone. You figured he slept on the couch and then left early. What should you do now? Just then your phone went off.

Hello?

Did you see the news yet?!”, your friend yelled into your ear.

Why are you yelling so early in the morning?!”, you replied irritated.

Go look it up right now!!!!

Alright, alright, hold on”, you mumbled as you grabbed your laptop.

Right when the homepage loaded up, the headlining article in big letters read “KRISBER?”. You dropped your phone.

Hello? Hello?!”, you heard your friend shouting from the phone, which was now laying on the floor.

You bit your lip and scrolled down. There was a picture of Kris and Amber holding hands, walking and laughing on the street. You scrolled down a little more to read a bit of the article.

"Recently, Amber stated that Kris was her ideal type. Just a few days ago, the pair was spotted together, holding hands…"

You didn’t want to read anymore. You couldn’t. You picked up your phone.

Hello?! Are you there?! What happened?! Are you okay?!”, your friend frantically asked, flipping out.

I’ll call you back”, you said flatly, hanging up on her.

You scrolled through your contacts and clicked on Kris’ name. You put the phone up to your ear. With each ring, you felt a lump start to form in your throat.

Hello?

Is it true Kris?

Silence.

…So it is huh?

…I-I’m sorry. There’s no way for me to explain myself. I’m really sorry”.

You didn’t expect him to just accept and admit it like that. It broke your heart. He didn’t even want to try to comfort you or stop the inevitable break up. He just accepted it. That made you wonder something. Since it was basically over now anyways, you had to ask…

Did you ever even care about me at all?