Lowest of the Low

Lowest of the Low

You loved him. You really did but somewhere along the line you two had lost one another. Instead you had found someone else. Maybe it had happened during all the time he had spent away from you on tour, maybe it had happened during all the time you had spent away from him studying.

Maybe it had just happened.

The worst things was that he still stayed by your side. He waited for you even though he knew you were with another; he only had eyes for you though he knew you looked at another. He called you to check in with you, he still texted you throughout the day just to bring a smile to your face but you could see it was starting to wear thin. He didn’t hold you like he used to. He didn’t kiss you like he used – you couldn’t even remember the last time he told you he loved you. And it hurt.

Today was just like any other day; you went to work in the morning and came home late in the evening.  You came home to Youngbae sitting at the dining table, his chin resting on his hands while deep in thought. He looked up at the sound of you coming in and pierced you with a withering stare. You threw him a nervous smile, unsure of what was going through his mind but he didn’t return it. Instead he pointed at the seat opposite him. You listened dutifully and sat across him.

“I want to stop playing around. We both know what’s going. I just want to know why?” he said the second you had sat down. You sat there silently with your heart in your throat. You had never expected to have this kind of conversation with Youngbae. He was so understanding and kind that you would have never thought he would confront you. When you didn’t answer he carried on. “You would lie to my face and go to see him. Was I that horrible to you that you had to run into another man’s arms? You would go kiss him and then come back to me.  Was I really worth that little to you?” he asked growing increasingly angry.

You had never seen this side of Youngbae and quite frankly he was starting to scare you a little bit. You finally appreciated that you had taken full advantage of this kind natured man and now, to put it mildly, it was coming back to bite you in the . You swallowed, trying to suppress the tears that were trying to fall free.

“I-I’m sorry Youngbae, I don’t have an exact reason for why it started but it did. I wish I could take it back. I’m so sorry.” you murmured softly as you looked at the table. You were scared to look into his eyes, scared to see how much he hated you. You were startled when he banged his fist on the table and you looked up at him. Tears were running down his face and only then did it hit you how much you had hurt him. How you had toyed with someone’s heart because of your own pathetic selfishness.

“I can’t do this anymore. I’m tired of pretending that it doesn’t bother me when it breaks my heart every second I look at you. I’m tired of pretending I’m fine every day when all I wanna do is just break down. I’m tired of it all.” he whispered brokenly. Your hand flew to cover your mouth in an effort to contain your own sobs.

“I’m so, so sorry…” you whispered again.

“I can’t anymore. I want you to leave and never come back. I don’t want to see you ever again.” he told you firmly as he wiped his tears away with the back of his hand. He got up, walked around the table and held the door open for you. You simply nodded and grabbed your purse too ashamed to say a word, let alone look him in the eyes. You were lucky since you knew you deserved much worse than he was giving you. You were the lowest of the low, you were a cheater. As you walked past him he grabbed your shoulder and turned you around. His handsome face was twisted with pain and heartache and it hurt you to know you were the one that caused it. It hurt you that this would be your last memory of him.

He only gave, gave, gave. He never asked you for anything expect to look only at him.

Only him.

“Just promise me that you’ll stay true to him… I wouldn’t wish this pain on my worst enemy so please just stay true to him…” he told you in a low voice before he let go of you. You nodded yet again and crossed the threshold hearing the sound of the door closing behind you.