2

Is It Wrong To Love You

Kaeun was confused. Her best friend had just confessed to her and she didn't know what to say.

"I.. Uhm.." I stared at the floor.

"You don't have to say anything, I know you don't feel the same way.." E-Young mumbled, then she stood up. "I'll just go home."

"No! Don't go.." Kaeun grabbed E-Young's leg. "We can just pretend this never happened.."

"I can't pretend. I've felt more than just a friendship for a long time." E-Young helped Kaeun up.

"H-How long?" Kaeun asked.

"Since we were eight.." E-Young mumbled.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Kaeun sighed. "You can't just hide these things from me for so long.."

"I was scared.. You don't feel the same though do you?" E-Young asked, looking up at Kaeun.

"I don't know how I feel.. People will think we're weird if they find out.." Kaeun mumbled. "I need to think about it. Let's just go back to sleep." She pulled the older girl back to bed.

After a while, Kaeun knew she wouldn't be able to sleep. She heard E-Young's soft breathing next to her so she knew she was asleep. She tried her best not to move but she was becoming restless.

"Do I love her.. I've never really noticed any feelings for her apart from friendly. I don't want to let her down though, it might ruin our friendship.. People might think we're weird.." Kaeun thought to herself.

 

The next few days were the most awkward days of their entire friendship. They wouldn't even look at each other properly and their conversations were usually small. They were walking home together when Kaeun stopped.

"I can't do this anymore." She said.

"What do you-" E-Young started.

Kaeun pulled her behind a tree and kissed her softly.

"I made my mind up.." Kaeun mumbled, grinning slightly.

"You d-don't have to do this.. I don't want to force you.." E-Young said.

"No.. I want this.." Kaeun said, hugging her tightly.

"So.. Am I yours now?" E-Young asked.

Kaeun nodded. "And I am yours."

E-Young smiled and they carried on walking.

 

Three years later..

The two girls were now eighteen years old. They had moved in together and were trying to find a job, but they weren't having much luck. They graduated with good grades but they didn't have enough money to continue their studies.

"I found us a job.. But.. It's not exactly the nicest of jobs.." Kaeun mumbled.

"What is it?" E-Young asked.

"Serving drinks." Kaeun said. "We get trained for a few months and we get paid a lot just to serve drinks. It's either that or we work as cleaners for a public train station and barely get paid."

"I.. I don't know.. It's risky.. Those clubs are dangerous.."

"It says there are bodyguards and stuff around the bar." Kaeun said.

"I'll have to think about it." E-Young said.

"Don't worry, we can stay together there." Kaeun said, wrapping her arms around E-Young.

"I'd rather have a different job.. I've never really been good at even pouring drinks, let alone serving them to people." E-Young sighed.

"They'll teach you.. Please.. It's the most highest paid job I've seen so far.." Kaeun begged.

"Fine.." E-Young mumbled.

Kaeun smiled and hugged E-Young tightly. "I'll make sure they treat you really nice."

 

Two years later...

After only spending a year in their new job the two decided they didn't like it and quit. They managed to get enough money to move to a bigger apartment in Seoul. One late afternoon, Kaeun and E-Young were watching TV when Kaeun gasped loudly.

"I know what to do!"

"Jeez, don't do that to me!" E-Young groaned.

"Sorry.. But I know what we can do!" Kaeun said.

"Please don't yell about it though.." E-Young mumbled.

"Get your guitar, we're going to Hongdae and you are going to play your guitar whilst I sing." Kaeun said.

So after E-Young insisted Kaeun wore the coat instead of her they made their way to Hongdae. The streets were quite busy so they set up somewhere and started. They performed for a few hours and got a crowd too. Just as they were leaving,  they were approached by a man.

"You two have a lot of talent. Are you looking for a job in this kind of skill?" He asked.

The two looked at each other then nodded. "This is our first time performing on the street though."

"Well.. We're looking for apprentices in our school who are willing to help with music.. I'll give you a business card, feel free to drop in when you have the time." He said, then he handed them a business card, bowed and left.

The two girls began to walk home.

"Do you want this job?" Kaeun asked.

E-Young nodded. "It seems interesting."

Kaeun smiled and hugged E-Young tightly. "I think this is the perfect job for us."