Forever

Forever

Taeyeon POV

 

            I’m in a very good mood today. Usually, I would keep whining about how much work given to me. But, today I am different. I’ve just finish doing and arranging my work files. I lean my back on the comfortable chair, staring outside where I can see the town’s view. Then, my hand reaches for a certain frame on my desk. A smile appears whenever I look at the picture. It’s a photo of Sunny and me when we first move into our very own house.

 

            Lee Sunny is my beloved girlfriend since we’re eighteen. We were actually best friends but I guess we always meant to be more than that. I can never forget the day when she asked me to be hers’ on that rooftop. She sings a song that she writes herself while playing the piano. It’s certainly one of the most beautiful nights in my life.

 

            Our parents never agree to our same gender relationship. So, we left to Seoul to start a new life together. She has always been the one who works the hardest. She keeps flying back and forth from Korea to Japan for business. So, we won’t see each other so often. When she gets back, she will always be tired so I didn’t bother to make her go out to dates. Sometimes, she told me she feels guilty for not spending much time together like we used to. Yes, it is true. But, I never care because I know she’s doing for us. That’s why my heart is always loyal to her. Sunny might be a girl but she’s the ‘man’ in our house.

 

            I put back the frame when someone knocks my office door. “Come in.” I say. Tiffany walks in with more work files in her hands. Ugh, this company makes me crazy with overload works. My assistant put the files on my table along with a cup of warm coffee for me. “Thanks Tiff.” I smile at her before taking a sip.

 

She smiles back. “Welcome, Tae. By the way, I heard Sunny’s going back today.”

 

“Yeah, I think she’ll arrive here by tonight. She still has some works left there.”

 

“Wow, she must be tired going back and forth.”

 

“Of course, but she’s doing this for us. That’s why I love my Bunny so much.” I proudly confess my feelings. Tiffany rolled her eyes and shook her head.

 

“I know. You don’t need to mention that. I’m a single woman, okay?”

 

I laugh at her. “Yah, didn’t you told me there’s a flower shop owner has a crush on you? Y-Y-Yoona, Yoona, that’s her name.”

 

“That Yoona girl? Tae, I don’t wanna offend you. But, I’m not a lesbian. I’m straight and I’m looking for a real ‘man.’”

 

“Tch, I used to say the same thing years ago but now look who I fall in love with. Tiff, it’s never impossible. Maybe you’re like us too?”

 

“Nope, I am pretty sure I like boys and not girls.”

 

“Okay, okay, whatever you say.” I grab one of the files and start doing my work again.

 

“What about you? When are you going to marry Sunny?”

 

My hand stops writing as I fall into silence for a moment. “I-don’t think I wanna get marry with her in such a hurry.”

 

“What? Seriously, you two have been together for...6 years now and she hasn’t even proposes to you?”

 

“Hey, come on. Sunny has been working hard to earn money for our marriage. She told me she wants our family to have a comfortable life.” I explain.

 

“I get it, Tae. But, don’t you think 6 years is long enough? I mean, did you even ask Sunny if she wants to marry you? Did she even talk about it?”

 

I can’t take this anymore. I look up at Tiffany with a smile. “Hey, where did you buy this coffee? It’s delicious. Can you get one more for me, please?” I use my aeygo skills a bit because I know she hates it and she’ll leave me alone.

 

“Okay, Taeyeon. Just stop with the aeygo! It’s not cute at all.” Works every time. Tiffany then left the office to get me another cup of coffee. I sigh in relief. I wanted to continue my work but her words keep bothering me. I mean, did you even ask Sunny if she wants to marry you?

 

           Although I don’t want to admit it, but Tiffany’s right. To be honest, I’ve been waiting for Sunny to propose to me. When we talk, she never says a word about marriage or having a family. Sometimes, I feel like she doesn’t want to be with me anymore. As if there’s someone else in her life that’s more important than I am. No, don’t think that way, Kim Taeyeon. That girl has always been loyal to you for years and now you’re thinking that she’s cheating on you. What a bad mind you have!

 

            I once again let out a sigh. I look at my phone and there’s one un-read message. A small smile appears on my face when I read it. “Babe, I’ll be home tonight. Cook something delicious. IMY so much!  Love you, my cute dork. ^^”

 

“Yah, I’m not a dork.” I laugh. I continue doing my work so I can go home early today to cook up a delicious dinner for my love. It’s extra special tonight since it’s our sixth anniversary.

 

***

 

AUTHOR’S POV

 

“Bye, Tiff. Don’t go home so late.” Taeyeon says to her best friend who’s busy with her un-finish works.

 

“Sorry, I’m planning to go home late today so I won’t have to walk home with that flower girl anymore.” Tiffany takes a sip of her third cup of coffee.

 

“Yoona? Why? I think she’s nice. I mean, she waits outside for hours just to talk to you.”

 

“Ugh, great job, Tae. Now you make me feel guilty.”

 

“Tch, just be nice to her once in a while. Try to be friends and get to know her first.”

 

“Fine, fine, just go already. I have worked to do.” Tiffany gestures her hand signaling the danshin to leave. Taeyeon can only roll her eyes and goes to the parking lot. She drives towards the supermarket to buy ingredients to cook tonight. After finish buying all the things in the list, she hurriedly gets back home to start cooking.

 

            Taeyeon look at her phone, there’s no messages from Sunny so she still must be inside the plane. She cooks her girlfriend’s favorite foods for dinner and even set up the table to make it look romantic. She even buys fresh flowers that Sunny loves from Yoona’s flower shop. “Ouch!” She groans in pain after she cut herself for the third time. She looks up at the clock and she only has four hours left. She quickly washes the blood from her finger and continues cutting the vegetables.

 

            She didn’t care how many times she hurt herself. She wants to make the best for Sunny no matter what. Suddenly, she remembers about what Tiffany said to her back at the office. “Don’t you think 6 years is long enough? I mean, did you even ask Sunny if she wants to marry you? Did she even talk about it?” Taeyeon puts down the knife and leans her back on the sink to think for a moment.

 

“Maybe-I should ask her about this.” She nods her head.

 

            Few hours pass, Taeyeon has finish cooking dinner and set up the table for tonight’s event. She feels proud seeing all the food that she had cooked. Sunny must be happy when she sees what she did for her. She looks up at the clock on the wall. She still has two hours to shower and get ready for dinner. She hurriedly takes off her apron and runs cutely to the bathroom. Thirty minutes later, she walks out wearing blue rob while drying her hair with a towel. She sits on the bed and founds out there’s a message from her girlfriend.

 

Tae, I think I’ll be late for a few minutes. I still need to see my uncle after I’ve departure. I’ve buy a gift for you from Japan. So, wait for me? ^^

 

“Tch, she doesn’t even mention about our anniversary. Guess she forgot-again.” Taeyeon sighs and replies the message before lying herself on the bed. She stares at the empty ceiling. Her eyes start to feel heavy. She hasn’t rest since she comes back from work. She looks at the clock on the table.

 

“She said she’ll be arriving late. I guess I’ll take a quick nap.” She yawns cutely and closes her eyes, slowly drifting to sleep.

 

Give me to me love baby, I love you~

 

Taeyeon slowly open her eyes and stretch her not-so-long body. She lazily picks up her phone lying next to her. “Hello?” She rubs her sleepy eyes.

 

“Hello? Taeyeon?” Taeyeon immediately shoot up from the bed when she hears the familiar voice. “S-Sunny?” She looks up at the clock and she realizes she just slept for an hour. Now, she only has 30 minutes to get ready.

 

“Hey, baby. I’ve just finish my business with my uncle. I’m inside the car. I’ll be home soon.”

 

“No! Don’t go home yet!” She shouts causing Sunny to feel confuse.

 

“Why? What’s wrong?”

 

“Mm, n-nothing. It’s just that-err, I want to drink iced coffee so badly! Can you buy for me? Please~”

She uses her aeygo voice. Sunny chuckles, imagining how adorable her girlfriend is right now.

 

“Okay, I’ll buy you on the way home.”

 

“Thanks, baby. See you later. I love you.”

 

“Alright. See you later.” Sunny ends the call.

 

“Tch, she didn’t even say I love you back.” Taeyeon pouts her lips. She stands up from the bed and quickly gets dress. She only puts on light makeup because she knows Sunny likes her natural looks better. After making sure her face looks good, she goes out to wait her girlfriend’s arrival. It wasn’t long until she heard a honk outside; she quickly stands in front of the door with flowers in her hands, ready to greet with her brightest smile.

 

CLICK~

 

            The door opens and Sunny walks inside the house, she almost fall when she greet by a surprise hug from Taeyeon. Thankfully, she manages to hold on the doorknob. She laughs when she receives kisses all over her face. “You miss me that much?” She shows her smiling eyes. Taeyeon nods cutely and kisses her on the lips. “Missing you like crazy.” She says.

 

“By the way, here’s your coffee.” Sunny notices Taeyeon’s wearing a dress. “Wow, what’s the occasion?”

 

“She forgot about our anniversary again.” Taeyeon thought. Although she was disappointed, but she don’t want to ruin the romantic dinner. Besides, she hasn’t seen Sunny for weeks now.

 

“Nothing, can your girlfriend dressed beautifully for you?”

 

“Tch, of course you can.” The blonde pinches the older girl’s cheek.

 

“Come on, let’s have dinner. I’ve cooked dinner for you.” Taeyeon holds Sunny’s hand and brings her towards the dining room where she has set up a romantic dinner for them. Sunny smiles and sneaks her arms around Taeyeon’s waist, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Thank you, Taeyeon. This is amazing.”

 

“Wait until you taste the food!” Taeyeon excitedly drags her girlfriend towards the table. She pours a glass of wine and gives it to her girlfriend.  “Cheers to my Sunny. Welcome back home.” She said cutely. Sunny chuckles and they did a toast before gulping down the wine. Tch, heavy drinkers.

 

“Try the food, Sunny.” Taeyeon gestures her hands signaling the blonde to eat.

 

“Okay, I’ll try.” Sunny cuts a small piece of the steak and puts it inside . “Mm, delicious!” She smiles brightly and digs in. Taeyeon feels happy that her girlfriend loves her cooking. She would totally be a great wife. Then, she suddenly remembers about Tiffany’s words in the office.

 

“Did you even ask Sunny even she wants to marry you?”

 

“Should I ask her?” She mumbles.

 

“Did you say something, Tae?” Sunny looks at her girlfriend. Taeyeon shook her head. She’s not ready to ask the marriage question yet.

 

Maybe I’ll ask her after dinner.

 

            They both eat their dinners while talking, asking about their works and stuffs. Sunny would always laugh and smile whenever Taeyeon acts dorky and do jokes. How she misses her girlfriend. Whenever they video call at nights when she’s in Japan, she always feel to pull Taeyeon and hugs her in her arms. Sometimes, she did feel guilty for being too busy with work. “I’m full!” Sunny says and leans her back on the chair. Taeyeon feels touch that she finishes all the food she cooked.

 

“How bout you go and rest? I’ll help you with the dishes.” Sunny was about to clean up the table but Taeyeon stops her.

 

“Nope, you just came back home. You’re the one who needs to rest. Besides, you stink. You should take a shower.”

 

“I do?” The blonde smells herself. “Yes, I do. I’ll go take a bath. Maybe next time we can shower together.” Sunny winks causing Taeyeon to blush madly.

 

“Yah, go to bath, stinky!” She pushes the blonde away and turns away to hide her red cheeks.

 

“Okay, after this, let’s sleep together. I’m tired.” Sunny kisses the back of Taeyeon’s head before going to take a bath.

 

“Cheesy Soonkyu.” Taeyeon says and carries the dirty plates to the sink. After finish washing all the dishes, she cleans up the table. She didn’t want to waste the flowers so she puts it inside a vase fill with tap water. “All done!” She wipes the sweats on her forehead. She walks to the bedroom to change her clothes when she hears Sunny’s phone ringing.

 

Naege pabo gataseo~

 

“Hm? Must be a call from the office.” She walks towards the bed and picks up the call. “Hello?”

 

“Hello? Is this Soonkyu?” An unfamiliar deep voice asks.

 

“Mm, nope, this is Kim Taeyeon. I’m her girl-I mean, I’m her friend. May I know who this is?”

 

“Oh, my name is Lee Sungmin. We work together in Japan.” Sungmin answers.

 

“I see. Sunny is somewhat busy now. Do you want me to deliver any messages to her?”

 

“Oh, yes. Ask her to text me if she’s free tomorrow. I want to meet her for lunch tomorrow. We still need to discuss about the marriage.”

 

At that moment, Taeyeon feels her heart got stab by knife. She never thought the girl who she’s deeply in love with, the one who promised they would always be together no matter what had betrayed her all this time. Tears start flowing on her cheeks as her legs becomes week that she kneels down on the floor. No words can describe the pain she’s feeling right now.

 

“Hello? Hello? Hello? Taeyeon, are you still there?”

 

“I’ll deliver your message to Sunny. I hope you two will have a happy marriage life soon.”

 

“What? No, wait!” Before he can even finish his words, Taeyeon already ends the call. She leans on the wall, crying her heart out without any sounds. She can’t believe how a fool she was all these years, for being loyal to a girl who doesn’t love her anymore. Her chest feels so painful.

 

            “I feel fresh!” Sunny says while walking out the bathroom. She’s surprise when she sees Taeyeon sitting on the floor, crying her eyes out. She run towards her girlfriend and tries to hug her but she got push instead. “Hey, what’s wrong?” She tries to hug however, the same thing happens.

 

“Get away from me! Don’t touch me!” Taeyeon shouts.

 

“Tae, what’s wrong with you?” Sunny asks while holding her girlfriend’s shoulders.

 

“Do you want to know what’s wrong with me? How bout you ask that Sungmin guy?”

 

“Sungmin? Wait, how did you know about him?”

 

“He called you earlier while you were showering. He asked if you could go out for a lunch with him. He wants to discuss bout marriage things.”

 

“Taeyeon~ let me explain.”

 

“No! There’s nothing to explain, Lee Soonkyu! I was a fool to love you all these years! I’m nothing but a useless piece of !” Tears streaming down Taeyeon’s face.

 

“Tae, that’s not true. You’re special to me.”

 

“No! No! I’m no special girl! You don’t love me! You never love me!”

 

“I love you, I really do. I’ve always love you, Taeyeon. Can you please just listen to me for on sec?”

 

“I won’t listen to you anymore. All this time, my parents were right. Our relationship just going to ruin my life!”
 

“Don’t say that.” Sunny’s in the verge of crying.

 

“Ever since you work at Japan, we hardly see each other. You would always ignore my calls and text. Then, when you called me, you said you were too busy and don’t have time for me. When we video call, I can only talk to you for minutes cause you told me you were too tired for work.”

 

“Taeyeon~ Please…”

 

“When you got home, you prefer sleeping the whole day and didn’t even bother to spend time with me. I didn’t care because I thought you’re tired from all that work. Although I’ve miss you so much, I don’t want to annoy you.”

 

“Tae, stop!” The blonde shouts causing Taeyeon to shut . “Why are being like this? Did I do something wrong to you?”

 

“Tell me, Sunny. Do you even want to take a step forward with our relationship?” Taeyeon stares at her with watery eyes. Sunny sighs deeply.

 

“Taeyeon, I love you. But, marriage is-a complicated thing. I mean, I’m always busy with work and I didn’t see you that often. Besides, I don’t want to rush things.”

 

“You don’t want to rush things or you just don’t love anymore?” The brunette pushes her girlfriend away and storms out of the house while crying. Sunny clenches her first tightly, throwing her phone on the floor before going out to chase Taeyeon.

 

“Taeyeon! Wait! Tae! I said wait!” She manages to catch Taeyeon’s wrist. They’re now outside near the road.

 

“What do you want? Let me go!”

 

“I’m confuse, Tae! I don’t get it! Why are you suddenly being like this? Please, tell me!”

 

Taeyeon pulls her hand and slaps Sunny on the face. The blonde is surprise. Taeyeon never slaps her before. “Tae…”

 

“I understand why you never talk about marriage or having a family because you were planning to dump me. You want to leave me and go marry that Sungmin guy, right?”

 

“No, that’s not it.”

 

“Then, WHAT? I’m tired of your nonsense already. Just admit the fact that you don’t love me anymore. I can pack my things back and leave. You can have your house. You can even bring him to live with you. As your best friend, I’m happy for you!”

 

“Taeyeon…”

 

“You didn’t even remember about our 6th anniversary. You know what? We’re done!” Taeyeon says and walks away towards the other side.

 

“Taeyeon, wa…”  Sunny then sees a car going fast towards her. Without thinking, she runs towards Taeyeon with full speed and pushes her away. She wants to safe herself but it was too late.

 

CRASH!

 

“SUNNY!” Taeyeon screams in tears as she helplessly drags herself towards the blonde who’s now lying on the road with blood everywhere. The driver panics when he sees he hit a person and he quickly drives away before anyone can see him. The people walking by immediately run towards Sunny.

 

“Sunny, Sunny, can you hear me? Please say something!” Taeyeon says while sobbing. Sunny slowly opens her eyes and reaches her hand out to wipes the older girl’s tears. Taeyeon cries harder when she feels her girlfriend’s soft hand.

 

“Hey, I’ve told you-I don’t like it when you-cry. You look-ugly.” She jokes and laughs weakly.

 

“Yah, how can you laugh at times like THIS? Look at you, you’re injured badly.”

 

“Really? Well, my whole body does feel painful.” Sunny smiles causing Taeyeon cries harder.

 

“I’m sorry, Sunny. This is all my fault. I shouldn’t have walked away like that. I’m really sorry.”

 

“Hey, hey, don’t blame yourself. It was my fault. I never pay attention to your feelings. I didn’t know I was hurting your feelings-all this time. I was too busy with work that I didn’t care bout you anymore.”

 

Taeyeon shook her head, “no! It’s not your fault. I…I was selfish. You’re working hard for us. You try your hardest to earn money to make my life happier. But, I took it in a wrong way just because of a single phone call.”

 

“About me and Sungmin-I wasn’t going to marry him. He-He asked me if I could help me pick a perfect honeymoon place for him and his future wife. That’s why-he asked to meet when we-arrived in Korea. Taeyeon, even if a guy did propose to me, I would reject him-cause you’re the one and only person in my heart.” Sunny says. Taeyeon cries harder and harder. The blonde sighs softly and lovingly her long brown hair.

 

“You look beautiful.” She compliments.

 

“O-Of course, I’m y-your future w-wife.” Taeyeon forces a smile.

 

“It reminds me that day when I first met you, you were the famous girl and-I was the nerd. Everyone would often bully me but you were different. You’d always come to protect me from them.

You told them to back off or else you’ll post pictures of their butts all over the school.”

 

“Yeah, I-remember that.”

 

“One day, I saw you sang on stage during the musical. You were singing Goodbye Days.”

 

“You-remember?” Taeyeon feels touch that Sunny still remembers the song during the musical night.

 

“Of course, you look so cute with that hairstyle. At first, I thought I was crazy for falling in love with you. But soon, I realize that I can’t live without you.” Sunny looks up at the dark sky and smiles. “Did you see that beautiful light?”

 

“What light?”

 

“I guess it’s time for me-to go already.”

 

“What? No, no, Sunny. Please stop saying that. You’ll be fine. I promise!” Taeyeon’s tears couldn’t stop flowing.

 

“Taeyeon, do me a favor. Find someone greater to replace me and live your life to the fullness. I believe you will be a wonderful wife and I know that someone will be lucky to have you. Before I go, I want to say I’m sorry and I love you FOREVER…” Sunny smiles before she breathes her last breath. All Taeyeon can do is cry while holding her lover’s death body. No matter how many times she shouts her name, Sunny was gone FOREVER.

 

The End