The First Official Encounter

Ray Of Light

Bom cleared once more.

Not matter how many times she coughed and swallowed, was still very dry and slick with mucus.

Dammit, she was nervous.

What was she scared of? Hopefully not Choi Seung Hyun. How was she going to seek revenge on someone she was scared of?

Bom wished she would stop feeling so small.

"Alexander of Macedon was an intelligent ruler and conquerer," Bom begain, clenching her fists to keep her hand from shaking. "How could anyone disagree? He was taught from the greatest philosopher of the time, Aristotle. His expeditions brought success, and by the age of thirty, he created the largest empire of the ancient world, stretching from Greece to Egypt."

Right?

"I second the thought," came a breezy voice. It was the man with glasses. He dabbed at the hankerchief so elegantly against his forehead that Bom had to struggle to keep herself from laughing.

"He's the history's most successful military commander, and was undefeated in most of the major battles. Alexander is legendary; he founded Alexandria Arachosia, Alexandria Ariana, Alexandria Bucephalous, Alexandria in Orietai, Alexandria Carmania, Alexandria Eschate, Ghazni, Alexandria on the Caucasus, Alexandria on the Indus, Alexandria on the Oxus, Alexandria Susiana, Alexandria Troas, Alinda Cebrene Iskandariya Iskenderun , and Merv."

The petite man's eyes seemed to shine as he was talking about Alexander, and everyone gaped at the man in awe.

Only Bom noticed the look of disapproval written on Professor Juel's face.

 

 

Just as I thought, Connie Juel thought, using her thumb and index finger to massage her forehead.

These kids, trying to show off again.

Connie Juel had taught at Stanford since 2003. She was even a professor in Harvard before. And right now, everyone of her students were no different from the previous brainless idiots she tried to teach.

Connie had her arms crossed and rested on the chair, looking cross. No one took notice of her, of course. Everyone was busy staring at the blabber mouth who was now reciting the names of the relatives of Alexander.

Idiots, Connie thought, exasperated.

She had asked them to discuss about the minds, thoughts, and reasonings of the people, not list worthless facts about them. The psychology assignment was something she always assigned, and her students always failed to please her.

She always thought mixing English literacy and language arts with psychology was a good idea- a fresh idea. They all involved critical, deep thinking, anyway.

These kids... obviously, they had all spent years reading textbooks after textbooks. They were brainwashed by it all, and now, none of them could think properly and individually.

Narrowing her eyes, Connie interrupted the talkative man saying, "You gave me a headache. That was not the assignment I assigned you- all of you failed to accomplish what I wanted you to, so all of you failed on this assignment."

The other tall, good looking student held Connie's gaze.

Connie almost snorted.

This wasn't the first time this had happened, of course. There were people who would do anything to get their grades up, Connie supposed. And Connie admitted he was very good looking- with sharp features, high cheek bones, and beautiful eyes.

But who was he kidding? She was nearly sixty years old.

"What do you want, boy?" Connie barked.

"I'd like to get a chance to talk before failing, if you don't mind," The beautiful boy smoothly said.

Connie was simply shocked at the tone of his voice. It was stern, but polite. Paced right, with confidence.

Connie waved her hand dismissively at him. "If you're agreeing to their opinions, I've heard enough. There's only about fifteen minutes of class time left, anyways."

The boy grinned gingerly. "I'm disagreeing, actually. Ten minutes is more than enough. May I fascinate you with my theories?"

His confidence fascinated Connie, and she tried her hardest to hide her delight. Favoritism never worked out right, and it wasn't her style, anyways. But she was indeed, curious. "Bah. you got nine minutes, kid."

"Thank you, Professor."

The boy shot her another boyish grin, and Connie had to try her best to keep from twitching, from molding it into an amused smile.

That boy was definitely a charmer- this she could not deny.

"Alright, Choi. Amuse me, if you can."

 

 

And he did.

Bom hated to admit her defeat, and tried to come up with every excuse she could think of that would explain how he unfairly came up with such a successful speech.

She found none.

Possibly because of a biased audience? The teacher herself was a woman, after all. Maybe he had cheat notes hidden somewhere? Perhaps he had surfed the Internet before the speech?

But deep down, Bom knew.

Choi Seung Hyun had mastered the speech. It was undeniable.

With his steady and persuasive voice, and with his logical, unarguable reasons he prepared to support his conviction- Bom was astonished herself. Choi Seung Hyun also had a flawless speech attitude- he made eye contacts with everyone else in the room, and made controlled hand gestures to emphasize his points- which signalled perfection.

"So in all, Alexander's rash decisions were made due to his obsession of power, which leads one to come up with a conclusion that he was indeed a violent, thoughtless human being."

Bom scowled. The look he was casting down at her angered her. His supercilious behavior annoyed her, and his quick-witted mind worried her.

For christ's sake. She was going to have to plot an ingenious revenge, or he would surely notice her intentions?

How was she going to win this man in business industry when she couldn't even win a simple speech debate against him?

Again.

He shot her a condescending look, the left corners of his mouth curving slightly up. He didn't say anything, of course, but Bom understood the message he was trying to send quite clearly.

You made a whole sh*t load of racket earlier, about how I don't deserve to earn my stay in Stanford, and yet you fail to compete against me in a task as simple as a speech debate. How did you find the audacity to argue with me earlier?

The nerve of him!

Well, she'd show him.

"I completely disagree," Bom nearly shouted, forgetting to maintain her easy going, aloof behavior.

Professor Juel looked at Bom in mild surprise, and Bom felt heat crawl up to her ears.

Fresh drops of adrenaline popped across her forehead; small tendrils of hair sticking up.

Even Choi Seung Hyun looked stunned for a brief second or so; he clearly thought that the debate was done, won. He however turned to his original calm composure, crossing his tanned, lean muscled arms against his chest. "How so?"

And Bom scolded herself mentally for being so reckless.

Bom had just so longed to wipe that impertuable, composed smile off Choi Seung Hyun's face. She never planned an appropriate answer to support her claim.

Well, there's no turning back now. Why don't I just do that, hmmm? Spill gasoline over the fire that I've caused myself.

Expected, awe filled eyes were headed towards her direction.

Well, of course.

No one in their right states of mind would dare to challenge Choi Seung Hyun, the invincible, flawless human being, in a speech debate.

Bom could see why. She racked up her brain, trying to gather up a bit of information that would help her get through the mess she got herself in- but it was impossible. All the arguments she came up with contradicted to his perfectly planned rebuttals.

Well, it couldn't be helped.

"Earlier, I had said that Alexander of Macedon was a magnificent, bright man who made a definite mark in world history. Do you disagree?" Bom asked, flashing Choi Seung Hyun a daring, fiery look.

Choi Seung Hyun didn't even bother to keep himself from chuckling. "I'm sorry to say, but I believe that you've misunderstood the concept of the debate. You're rattling about the successful doings of Alexander, when all along, Professor Juel asked to define the human nature of Alexander to the extent of our knowledge."

Mocking laughter filled the classroom. Most  were from the women, who hadn't even known the slightest of what Choi Seung Hyun said, Bom noticed.

"Yes," Bom replied calmly, shooting him an icy glare. "But I haven't finished."

"Excuse me," Choi Seung Hyun said mannerly, but his eyes remained as taunting as ever.

"I repeat my question. Do you agree that Alexander made an unforgettable mark in world history? You must agree; his accomplishments enlightened so many people." Bom urged.

"Yes, yes, yes," Choi Seung Hyun answered thoughtfully, but with a touch of bore added to the tone of his voice, Bom noticed. "That's why we were asked to disect his strategy to unravel his thoughts and minds. And...?"

"That we both agree on, then. But I don't quite agree with your conclusion," Bom smiled breezily.

"You don't agree that he was ignorant, imprudent? You should know how he never settled any of his wars at ease. I've spent the last few minutes discussing about it earlier," Choi Seung Hyun argued pointedly.

"Is that how you put it?" Bom asked nonchalently. "I put it as brilliant."

Choi Seung Hyun's unreadable eyes gazed into hers, and Bom found it unbearable, although she could not tear her eyes off his long eye lashes, either.

"Explain why."

They were meters away when the debate had first started, but at the moment, Bom could've sworn that her nose was practically just inches away from Choi Seung Hyun's defined chin. She wasn't sure; her focus remained only on those long eye lashes as they fluttered downcast to meet her eyes.

"Some may say Alexander was just a blood thirsty git," Bom nearly whispered, unable to find a proper way to describe Alexander. "But he- he made those accomplishments through hard work as well. He picked himself up even after all the injuries he's went through, he- he- through great leadership, he was able to fulfill all those conquest successfully. You might think otherwise, but I believe him to be careful, logical-"

"His life was a conquest itself," Choi Seung Hyun cut Bom off, stepping closer to Bom, closing the distance between them. "His conquests shadowed all contemporaries. His strategies were filled with flaws. As he became powerful, his kingdom and army was alienated. His empire lost its' capability in resolving war with peace; his empire lost stability. Protection could not be guaranteed, for his state's metropolis became a mobile abstraction. All this was caused because of his lack of humanity, and his desires. This is why I conclude him as foolish, incautious, and vulnerable, just the same."

Bom opened to speak, but she didn't know how to reason against his position. His last statement threw her off.

She had been so enhanced with Alexander's unlimited power, she failed to catch on his mistakes. And now she was going to look like an idiot infront of Choi Seung Hyun, Professor Juel, and every other opulent human being in this class.

"Name one person who didn't make a mistake, here and there," Bom scoffed, although her heart wasn't in it. She had lost the argument, she knew- but she would never acknowledge this.

She half heartedly willed herself to think of a quick reasoning when-

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Saved by the bell.

"Well, well, well. Wasn't that an interesting speech, thanks to Mr. Choi and Ms. Park?" Professor Juel drawled. "The debate will be continued next week. But until then, another project is coming up. It's a partner project, and it'll make up fifteen percent of your grades for the upcoming semester. I'll decide who you work with."

"Ms. Bom Park and Mr. Seung Hyun Choi."

Bom had her feet planted to the ground, dumbfounded. 

 

"Lucky bit*h, she gets him again!"

"You reckon he'll sleep with her? She doesn't seem very willing, does she?"

"She's putting up an act, I think. I mean, c'mon. Would you want to sleep with a feisty chick or a wh*re?"

"Neither, I only sleep with rich, macho guys. But I guess I can see where you're getting at."

"She's so ing lucky, though. Wonder if she'll get a diamond, or a bag."

"Both? You gotta admit, her tit*s and as* don't look quite that bad."

"Wonder where she gets them done?"
 

Bom could only stare at Professor Juel in horror.

"Problem, Ms. Park?" Professor Juel asked Bom snidely, not even sparing a glance at Bom's wary face.

"Not at all," Bom replied, practically sulking her way out the door. The odds were never in her favor. She should've understood this long ago. The fates never actually listened to the way she pleaded her life to turn. To reach the desired destination, she had to work harder, more efficiently. Work until the last beating of your heart as you learn to accept.

 

Strong pair of hands grasped tightly onto Bom's thin, fragile wrist as she stomped her way out.

Those hand belonged to none other than Choi Seung Hyun, the devil himself.

"Excuse me," Bom whispered harshly, fighting to hold on to the thin strand of patience she could only muster, "but I have not given you the permission to touch me."

"I apologize," Choi Seung Hyun replied in an urbane manner, but Bom detected false sincerity in the tone of his voice. "I was wondering... when are you free?"

"Pardon?" Bom asked, louder. She gave him a forced smile. "I didn't see you as the desperate kind. You took me by surprise."

Choi Seung Hyun gave Bom a confused look, but Bom ignored this, continuing, "Either way. Answer's no. Like I said before in class, I'm not interested in you by the slightest. In fact, your first impression left a rather borish influence on me. I would apologize for my rejection, but frankly, I'm not very sorry."

Bom turned to face Choi Seung Hyun, only to see him look at her with amusement.

Choi Seung Hyun's small laughter sounded remarkably similar to a growl. "I'm afraid that wasn't my intention. I was suggesting, actually, the time we meet to start on the project given to us by Professor Juel."

His dark eyes smiled, as Bom's pale face flushed with embarrasment. "Perhaps I was hasty." Bom muttered.

"There's a lot to learn to learn about me," Choi Seung Hyun told Bom, widening his large eyes and curving his lips to a pout. "First. I don't ever ask people out. Second, I only . Third, I don't give a damn about people hating me. If you're acting the way you are now in hopes to get my attention...... it worked. But it's not going to anymore, because I hate dealing with women  who make a big deal over the smallest sh*t."

Bom had her eyes glued to the cement of the floor. Her insides were making a commotion, thrashing about, burning through her flesh. She was beyond angry, naturally, but Bom figured she should keep quiet, at least in Stanford. She got in here with full scholarship, and Choi Seung Hyun's dad was Stanford's sponser. Arguing with him would not get her anywhere.

Instead, she looked up, and smiled, taking Choi Seung Hyun by great surprise.

 

Honestly, this woman blew hot and cold in the times where you least expected it.

 

"I'll be aware of that next time," Bom said. The venom in her voice was replaced with a softer, polite tone, but her brown eyes flared dangerously. "Thank you. I'm free next week on Thursday, during the noons."

"Thursday noon," Choi Seung Hyun confirmed, returning her tight smile.

She turned to leave, but did not fail to hear Choi Seung Hyun's last comment: "Just so you don't misunderstand; I'm not completely uninterested in you. You're a woman, and a beautiful one at that."

Choi Seung Hyun watched Park Bom's feminine hands clench up into fists before she fled to the main hallway in fury.

And he snickered in amusement.