That Sweet Smile

That Sweet Smile

                It was a calm, quiet morning when Minyong awoke to the sun shining on her face. She carefully turned under the strong arm that was holding her and faced the sleeping man beside her. Min Yoongi, the man of her dreams. She smiled at his angelic face and traced the side of his face with her finger. He scrunched his nose and she knew she would wake him up if she continued. The smile was still on her lips as she pulled her hand back and studied his face as if she hadn’t seen it before. He always looked so sweet and innocent, reminding her of his stagename, Suga. Minyoung would joke about him being too charming and that’s why he was “Suga.” He would always laugh and pull her into his arms, telling her how much he loved her, refusing to let her go.

She was tempted to give him a quick peck but she kept herself back. She had already almost woken him up and she didn't want do so. He was finally getting the sleep he needed from his endless schedules and she wanted him to be as rested as he could be. He’d have to go back to work again soon which meant late programs and less sleep. So instead, Minyong cuddled to Yoongi’s chest and closed her eyes, taking in his scent. She felt his arms wrap around her lightly and he took in a deep breath, letting it out with a groggy "good morning."

               "Good morning," Minyong smiled, not caring to look up at Yoongi. She knew that he would still have his eyes closed, wanting to go back to sleep. He was resting his chin on top of her head anyway; she wouldn't be able to see his face even if she had looked up. She had missed these days with Yoongi. He was always busy with performances and his schedules that he would come home late at night and leave early morning the next day. They barely had any time for themselves anymore. So when they were given the opportunity to have days like these, they always spent it with each other, even if it was just in each other's arms, saying nothing.

---

                The late afternoon sun was shining brightly when Minyong felt a kiss on her forehead. She opened her eyes again for the second time that day.

                "Wake up, sleepyhead," Yoongi flashed his sweet smile at her. They were both still in bed and he was still holding her. His hair was disheveled, but he looked rested which was something she hadn't seen in the longest time.

                "What time is it?" she stretched lightly. She felt him shrug and move to grab his phone to check the time.

                "One o'clock," he answered simply, pulling her back into a hug.

                "Should we get up?" even though she suggested it, she hoped that he would say no. He had a five day vacation this time. They could afford to stay home today and not do much.

                "What if we just stayed in bed?" Yoongi pulled back a bit to look at Minyong's face and added, “You know I love staying in bed as long as I can.” She smiled and nodded.

                "This is why I love you," she said and gave him a quick peck on the lips.

                "It better not be the only reason why you love me," he mock pouted at her to which she replied with a shrug. He pretended to be offended and then began tickling her as payback. She struggled against him, laughing loudly, and seconds later they were in each other’s arms again; smiles on their faces without a care in the world.

---

                Minyong's eyes shot open at the booming sound of thunder outside. She had been dreaming about them again; the old them. The rain was heavy and loud, the lightening was the only light that was coming through to the room. She looked to her side where Yoongi was sleeping, his back was facing her. It had been this way for a few years now. They would go home from work, eat dinner, sit in different rooms doing their own things, and then maybe have a light conversation before they went to sleep. It had become a routine for them to be this way. But once in a while, Minyong would literally dream of what they used to be; more so now than how it had been before. But then she would wake up to the disappointing reality that their lives were now. It's not that they didn't love each other, they did, but the passionate love that they thought would last forever had ended already. Of course, as time passed on, they knew that their newlywed love would die down, but she knew that what they had turned into wasn’t a healthy relationship anymore. And yet, she had no intention of leaving him either. As unhealthy as it was, she knew he still loved her. And she still loved him.

                She carefully got up from bed and walked to the window, watching the rain pour down onto everything. It always numbed her when she would concentrate on the rain. She would sit on the windowsill and just watch, sometimes humming a song that would pop into her mind that moment. Lighting stuck again and she closed her eyes, listening to the rumbling of the clouds and then the thunder that followed afterwards. Most were scared of lightning and thunder but for Minyong, it had become a calming melody; something that she could listen to all day.

                "Hey," she snapped out of her thoughts. Yoongi was awake? She turned to see him propped up on his elbow in bed, looking at her quizzically, "you're not sleeping?"

                "I will...I just had a dream and was...thinking about it," Minyong replied, returning her attention to the rain. He would fall back asleep again without any more questions. He used to ask so many, always wanted to know what she could be thinking, but that had changed. Their exchanges barely had any depth to even talk about feelings or their thoughts. She sighed as she continued looking at the window, assuming that he had already fallen back asleep.

                "What about?" she heard rustling and turned to see him getting out of bed and walking towards her. He must have seen her confused look because he sat down on the windowsill next to her and smiled, repeating, "What was your dream about?"

                "You haven't asked that in years..." she couldn't stop herself from voicing the observation. He seemed taken aback at the statement but then smiled sadly, looking out the window for a moment before turning his attention back to her.

                "I'm sorry," he said softly, to which Minyong shook her head.

                "Don't be. I haven't been contributing either. But I was...I had a dream of how we used to be. When you had gotten a break and we spent that whole day in bed, doing nothing productive, remember? It's always that same moment...I have no idea why..." she glanced at his face but then continued to look out the window. She didn't want to see his expression while telling him that she missed what they were. In that past, he would have held and told her that he would love her always, but she didn't know how he would react now. They had both changed, and she was sure he also knew it wasn’t a healthy change.

                "And that’s what you're thinking about now?" his voice seemed a lot closer than before. She turned back to him and saw that he was, in fact, sitting much closer to her. She felt her heartbeat quicken and suddenly there were butterflies in her stomach. She began to smile and then started laughing. Why was she feeling so nervous about him being close to her? She felt like she was meeting him for the first time again; being anxious around him as if they hadn't been together for over a decade. He was confused at her sudden laughter, but was smiling as he watched her.

                "I haven't seen you laugh like this in so long..." Yoongi suddenly pulled her into a hug, letting out a laugh as well. Minyong froze at his unexpected embrace. Naturally, they were still intimate in the years that they had drifted apart, they were still attracted to each other, but it had only been physical. This was different; this had emotion. It was the one emotion that she hadn't felt from him in what seemed forever: love.

                "What happened to us?" Minyong wrapped her arms around him as well, resting her head on his shoulder. He began to lightly rock her from side to side.

                "I have no idea, Minnie, but it's killing me."

                Minnie. It was when he had started to call her by her full name that she knew that something wrong. He wouldn't call her "Minnie" anymore and it was then that they had drifted apart.

                "I miss this..." Minyong smiled.

                "Me too," Yoongi replied and suddenly picked her up bridal style. Minyong gasped at the movement and looked at Yoongi’s face. He was giving her his sweet smile again, just like he used to before, and walked to the bed, laying her down gently.

                "Why the sudden change in attitude?" Minyong couldn't understand how they had changed from the cold relationship to the loving one in such a short time. Yoongi got into bed as well and held her close.

                "I...I miss who we used to be. I had been thinking lately about how to change what we became. It was my fault for changing in the first place; the fame just...it got to my head and I didn't know how to control it. But lately I'd been thinking about us and my members made me realize how lucky I am that you never left me. Even Jungkook stepped up and almost told me off for treating you like crap these few years. You were always there behind me, even though we didn't even converse some days. I never want to go back to those days. Ever."

                Minyong pulled back from Yoongi and studied his face. His eyes had changed. Maybe that's why she had been dreaming about their happiness lately? Seeing his eyes, she realized that he had started to change days ago. She hadn’t noticed it until now that he would randomly walk into the room where she was and would just stand there for minutes before walking away. She had always thought that he was probably looking for something. Never did she realize that he was standing there trying to figure out how to speak to her.

                "I'm glad you finally came around," Minyong smiled and hugged him. They stayed silent for a moment, both taking in the changes that were about to come. There was finally going to be happiness in their lives. The silence between them now seemed so natural instead of the awkward ones they use to have.

                "So I probably hadn't mentioned this,” Yoongi said after a while, “but I've got about a week off for vacation."

                "Okay..." Minyong replied with a smile, waiting for him to continue.

                "I was thinking, how about we spend tomorrow at home, in bed, like we used to?" Yoongi looked down at Minyong who looked up at him with a grin.

                "See, this is why I love you," Minyong said, causing Yoongi to give the same reaction as before. She smiled, her Yoongi was finally back.

                "That better not be the only reason," he pouted but then gave a sly smile, "I'm sure I can think of a few more things that you love me for."

                "Oh yeah? And wha-" Yoongi cut her off with a kiss. She was startled by the kiss and he took that moment to shift so that he was pinning her down, a devilish smile on his lips.

                "There's more where that came from," he winked.

                And so for the first time in years, she couldn’t have cared less about the happenings in the world. She didn’t have to distract herself from her life anymore. Their lives were finally back to normal again.