Square One

Almost

OC’s POV

Listening to his story, it’s a wonder that he has no girls chasing after him. Well, I only know of one. He has the kindest soul and his slightly above average looks are a bonus. He could be the definition of perfect, even if it’s only in my eyes. 

Though we only started hanging out after his “break up”. Deep inside, I was glad that he even paid any attention to me, his classmate for 2 years.

The thing is I had always observed him from the side-lines. How he treated those around him with such care and concern those small acts he did never really left my sight.

It’s been 14 days, and here we are at the rooftop. Taking in fresh air, calming our nerves, the fact that we didn’t need a really long time to get comfortable with each other, was saying something. I guess it’s mostly because of how contrasting our attitudes are. He’s the bubbly, outgoing lively kind while I, prefer the shadows. A silhouette if you must, cause no one really bothered trying to know me.

Honestly, I myself am not sure on how we came to have this relationship.

Next, skip, “now playing: R.O.D”. Restless, my thumb hovered over the ‘next’ button once more. Leaning against the rooftop’s railing, I took in deep breaths. Letting my hands fall by my side as I enjoy the serenity. Though school was long over for the day, I remained in my spot. Simply enjoying the peace I felt at the moment. A moment away from the bustling crowd and bright city lights, it was honestly, ironic really.

Just as I was about to escape the reality with my eyes closed, “OWWW!” a deep voice rang through the dusk. Surprised, my eyes flashed open. My sight was then greeted by a tall, not so lanky classmate of mine rubbing his forehead. Which I assume hurt from its collision with the door. Observing him was what I was doing, as he sat on the insulated air vent a few feet away from where I was. Making up my mind, I gathered my things and was about to leave when he said, “You- you’re in my class aren’t you? Yeah, you are. I’ve seen you before. Anyways, have you ever felt heartbroken? Because that’s what I’m feeling but I don’t feel sad, I feel more relieved. I wonder why?”

Here I was, enjoying music as I fondled with my mp3. Then suddenly, he comes and plops himself beside me. I was about to leave him alone when he started asking and answering his own questions. Being kind at heart, I stayed and listened. Well, it was partly because he looked like he didn’t want to be alone at that moment.

Luckily for me, he didn’t expect any kind of response. You might ask why, but even though I’m a girl, I just at comforting people.

However, it became some kind of routine.  As he kept coming back here, I was getting more intrigued with how he sorted out his feelings. It went on, from days to weeks. Unknowingly, my alone time was gone being replaced with his presence. Timings did not matter. No matter how late or how early one of us gets there, we’ll always end up leaving together.

 

“Don’t you ever get tired of listening to my monologue? I mean, I meant to ask you questions but end up answering myself.” As I felt his gaze in my direction as he waited for my response.

 Subtly smiling, I shook my head. “Well, I find it amusing actually and I like listening to stories. Plus you looked like you needed to get everything off your chest,” slightly shrugging I turned towards him only to see a human carp.

“YOU TALKED! Huh, I can’t believe this. Oh My Fishcakes! I’m not hallucinating am I?” as he slapped himself.

I guess that finally broke a barrier as I started laughing my heart out. It took me awhile to regain my composure. As I took in deep breaths, he said “You laugh nice,” and flashed his toothy smile.

Things weren’t always so bright, despite his grinning self, sometime sadness just radiates off him.

 

It was almost to the point where he lost his smile.

It was to the point where his eyes lost its shine.

 

He tells me that he is fine, that all he feels is relief. However, one can never totally forget the sincerest feeling they have ever felt.  I knew that deep down he could never really overcome the sadness. Seeing him smile every time despite his true feelings, it pained me and I could not really do anything. Watching him try his hardest, that was the trigger. It made me play along with his façade. I knew he was fine but there were times when one just can’t help but to throw their masks off as it sometimes get too suffocating. 

Once, I asked him “Why do you dim your own smile just so that hers will shine?”

 

With a bitter smile he said, “Because she’s my star, and stars shine. But don’t worry about me, because soon, someone will see me as their star and make me shine.”

 

On that note, he ended with his trademark smile. The one I learned to love all this time.

 


 

Narrator’s POV

Neither knew what was planned for them.

However both were content with what they had.

They never chased after more, though it was already in the stars.

Just like a star, she was there for him despite being hidden by the city lights.

Just like an astronomer, he noticed her despite her being hidden.

Days will pass with them as the main leads.

However neither will realise that they're in the spotlight because of the light radiating from each.

He will only notice her and she will only notice him.

People of the past will no longer matter, as their shine dims.

Only acting as a shadow that can either push them through or pull them back.

Others will no longer matter since they found each other.

They'll still try to be the best,

not for themselves but for the rest.

 


 

THE END.

A/N For those who even noticed me, I thank you sincerely. Honestly though, I am suppose get ready for my presentation tomorrow.

But here I am. Oh wells, once again I thank you for the attention. Hope you enjoyed my reaaaallyy short story.

Thank you, and have a great day/night. (: