More Than Friends ?

Almost

Narrator's POV :

 

“Thanks for being there for me. Though I ignored your presence since freshman year,” a smile graced his lips as he recalled their first meeting.

 

“Since you’ve been gracing me with your presence ever since my oh-so-dramatic breakup, I shall reward you with my own fairy tale. Mind you, not all of them have happy endings.”

 

Before recalling those memories, he looked at her one more time. Some say she’s the wallflower, but ever since the breakup. . By his side was where she always was. Well not like she wanted to be, she was just there whenever he wanted to find refuge. Somehow it became a habit. That girl, she isn’t much of a talker. So he’d always end up talking to himself.

 

Right now, he knew he caught her attention. Though he couldn't see her face, Chanyeol was certain that she was curious. From the way she tapped her feet to how she drummed her fingers on the railings. Those were all signs of anxiousness ? He didn't know. As he stared at her drumming fingers, like being put under a spell those small bittersweet flashes came back.


Chanyeol's POV:

 

Happy and content, that’s what I was. Sitting beside her and being with her made me happy. I was about to congratulate himself for making it out of the friend zone, when something gnawed at me. I knew that she didn’t feel the same. The cons bout being best friends before this was that, I knew her too well.

I knew that she mistook everything.

She mistook friendliness for love.

She mistook fondness for love.

She mistook comfort for love.

She mistook care for love.

The worst thing is that, I knew of this. However despite it all, I selfishly accepted her confession. Reason being, I was hopelessly in love. We were happy. The relationship, it survived for a few months. Friends were full of praises as they long hoped for them to be together. 'Chanstal' was what they named us. 

We were in the cafeteria. Everything was going fine as I stared at her playing with her food.

 

That was when everything changed.

 

I shouldn’t have confronted her bout the playing with her food. I shouldn’t have made her return her tray. Cause if I didn’t, she wouldn’t have bumped into him. If I didn’t, she wouldn’t have stared at him with awestruck eyes. He wouldn’t have been into those soulful brown orbs of hers.

Hurriedly, I brought himself to her side. Apologised on her behalf, and brought her away.

After that incident, she was silent.

 

Kim Jongin was his name. That guy she bumped into. He had always kept to himself, how I wished Jongin stayed that way. But of course nothing goes right when you want it to.

Suddenly, his presence became more prominent. Whenever I confronted her, he was there. Be it in the background or with her. He was there.

I might seem like some overly obsessed guy, but it can’t really be helped. Insecure was what I was.

No, I wasn’t jealous of the other’s looks or personality. It was her. She was the one who made me insecure.

 

That apparent sparkle in her eyes whenever she talks to him, the way her eyes turn into crescents when talking about him. How can I deny that? How can I not notice, when she looks at him, the same way as I look at her.  It was becoming obvious that both of them were becoming closer.

As I sent her home, all she could talk about was Jongin. How he was her partner, how he was suddenly her seatmate. . All the things that they did together, I was informed of.

That fact got me happy but worried at the same time.

 

‘Thinking if she was just telling me all these, cause she didn’t want me jealous? Or has she forgotten, that the one she’s telling all these to, were her boyfriend and not her best friend.’

 

I was outside of the library waiting for her to finish up her project with Jongin, scanning the design of the building standing right before me. The sound of rushed and hesitant footsteps brought me back to my senses. As I looked up to see her, rushing down the stairs, confusion clouding her face as she reached the bottom. Her eyes widened in surprise as they finally acknowledged my presence, she walked towards me and beckoned me to follow her.

Without hesitance, that’s what I did. Somehow, I knew what she was going to say. I knew what was coming, ever since we started going out.

 

A park was where we ended up. Sitting on the swings, side by side, this has always been our own ritual. Whenever one had something important to say, this was where we’d end up. Silence filled the atmosphere as she remained quiet, for a long while.

 

Then, like a mine that was blown, she said,

“Jongin kissed me.”

Scream was what I was supposed to do. Raging was what I was supposed to be. But no, I did nothing other than stare at the ground, silent. Like they say, silence is acceptance. And she took that as a cue to continue.

 

“I don’t know, what’s gotten into me. I thought I loved you. But whenever he’s with me, my heart just explodes. Blood just rushes to my cheeks at every eye contact we make. Electricity just flows whenever he holds my hand and like just now, fireworks just went off when we kissed. I know I know you’re my boyfriend... But why is it that I’m feeling like this? “

 

Staring at the ground, I saw teardrops on her side. Gathering all my strength and I came up with a resolution. I got up from the swing and crouched in front of her.

 

“Krys, you’re in love.” Her eyes widened at my statement. I shushed her and continued, “Admit it; you are in love with him. I knew it since the start. From the way you looked at him to how you act around him. It’s all kind of obvious in my case. I am your best friend. No matter how hard I try to hope that you won’t realise it, I don’t want you to hurt. I love you. .as my clumsy, annoying, short best friend and as a woman, you need to know that.”

 

Feeling my hands getting wet, I stared her straight in the eye and saw pain, guilt, confusion and more guilt. Instinctively, I reached up and started her wavy, thick hazel locks.

 

“Don’t feel guilty; you know how I know you way better than how you know yourself. I knew what I was getting myself into. You-”

 

“But I love you.”

 

“There’s no denying that, I AM your wonderful best friend.", smiling at her, "Yes, you love me. . But not that way, you only accepted my confession as you were in love with the idea of being in a relationship with me. I knew what I was getting into since the start. So, don’t, don’t feel bad for me. Be happy with him. From now on, we’ll end this relationship. But I will ALWAYS be your BEST friend. Keep that in mind.”

 

With heavy steps, I walked away. The desire to go running back to her as she bawls her eyes out was too much. But I had to keep it in. At that time, she needed Jongin. Someone, who’ll clean the wound I left,

As I walked away from her, I texted him,

‘She needs you, the park near the library. Be fast’

And that was how I lost it. Everything that is but it was worth it, to see her smile outshine the others. To see pure love in those eyes that was once bland. After the mutual break up, we ended up not talking for a while. Luckily for me, Jongin knew the whole the situation and updated myself on her well-being. It was relieving to know that I wasn’t hated. Apparently, she didn’t have the guts to face me thinking that I hated her for not returning these feelings. To think that she does not know better, really made me wonder if she was the girl I knew all along.

Fortunately, Jongin forced her- well he locked us on the school rooftop. . From there, we managed to have a decent conversation. So, right now I’m glad to have my best friend back.


Narrator's POV

 

As those bittersweet memories end, he tucked his chin and hugged his knees. He enjoyed it, what he had in the past. Maybe, right now he’s not ready for anything yet as he is still getting over her. But he knows that he’ll be fine as long as he’s not alone. Right as he stops his thoughts, his eyes lingered on that serene figure leaning by the railings. 

 


A/N : So how was it  ? I'm quite nervous right now. Hehe. Should I end it with another chapter ? Do support me >< Thank you for your time (: