The Chase

Misconception

Jay watched in shock as Taecyeon turned around and fled the party like the devil himself was on his tail. Seeing Taec here tonight was a miracle. After four years, they were finally brought back together and Jay had to resist the urge to fly into Taecyeon’s arms and never let go. He had started walking towards Taecyeon to lead the man somewhere more private to have their reunion when Taecyeon’s surprised gaze unlocked with Jay’s and followed the rest of the tall man running down the stairs away from Jay.

Okay, what the hell? Jay’s entire soul had brightened like the marrow had been returned to his bones when he saw Taecyeon in person again and now the giant runs away? Not. Okay. Jay was hurt inside, thinking Taecyeon must not want him anymore and Jay loved Taec more than the 2PM member loved him, but Jay did what he always did with pain; turn it into anger. How dare Taecyeon think he could just leave Jay like that? How dare he think Jay’s love wasn’t enough for him? How dare he think Jay wasn’t good enough?

Jay was just making himself more and more pissed thinking about it and his friends asking “What’s wrong? Who’d you see?” weren’t helping. this. Jay was going after Taecyeon, no matter what anyone thought or the fact that he was a full two minutes behind him now and he had no idea where Taec would be. Oh well. He was too angry to think straight and he needed to run after his lover. All this time waiting for Taecyeon to return to him made Jay impatient and he needed to chase Taecyeon for once.

With that decision made, Jay waved good-bye to his friends and ran down the stairs, leaving his friends curious and worried. He stumbled out into the street after making it through the crowds of people and rapidly looked back and forth, hoping to spot Taecyeon. Upon finding no giant in sight, Jay turned to a random direction and ran, hoping his instinct wouldn’t fail him and he’d find Taecyeon. It was futile, of course, and part of him knew that but Jay had to try, he just had to. The thought of not seeing Taecyeon for another four years lit a fire in Jay’s belly and he sprinted from street to street, store to store, bar to bar, hoping to find Taecyeon. People looked at him funny, called him rude, and some of his fans recognized his sweaty face but none of that mattered to Jay as he ran around desperately, refusing to give up. His lungs felt raw and his calves burned but Jay just kept going.

About three hours later, Jay collapsed unto a park bench, gulping lung-fuls of air as fast as he could. He hadn’t had anything to drink since he left the party or stopped at all so the sudden change in pace wasn’t appreciated by his body which had Jay rolling of the beach to dry heave into the bushes. When his stomach finally felt like it didn’t want to evacuate his body, Jay draped his sluggish self back over the bench. Feeling another wave, this time of the emotional kind, Jay draped an arm over his eyes as he tried really hard not to cry. Taecyeon was gone. Again. Jay prided himself on his mental strength so after just a few minutes of a trembling lip and wet eyes, he stood and slowly dragged his feet back home. It was time for him to crawl into bed and pretend his life didn’t as much as it did. Part of him wanted to shower and get the layers of sweat off of him but another part just wanted to sleep and get away from the world. Jay zoned as he made his way home, imagining a life where Taecyeon and him had met in a different world, one without JYP and MySpace controversies.

He was so caught up in his fantasies that he didn’t realize he had made it home and that there was a hunched over figure sitting on his doorstep. If he had, he would have recognized those shoulders. Taecyeon’s back was a work of art, his whole body was really, and Jay, in the past, liked to believe it was all his, all for him. Taecyeon was partially right; Jay had enjoying controlling Taecyeon. In a world where everything was foreign, Taecyeon had been the only constant component of Jay’s life. Jay knew he could always count on Taecyeon and the giant had never turned him down. Taecyeon had been everything to Jay, his translator, his best friend, his team mate, his lover. In Jay’s mind, Taecyeon was his, always was, always had been. Whereas Taecyeon worried about whether or not their relationship could survive this, Jay knew he could do whatever the hell they wanted as long as they were together. Jay pretty much did that anyway but having Taecyeon back would turn his good life pretty much perfect because he knew they could support each other through anything.

It was Taecyeon who finally looked up and saw Jay first. He had run away before asking himself “What the am I doing?” and going back to the party. By the time he got there, Jay had already left and Taecyeon had no idea where he would be so the 2PM member walked to Jay’s house (Don’t judge him, information just comes up in conversations sometimes. Just because he wrote it down, doesn’t mean he was like looking for Jay or anything). Taecyeon had been waiting on the concrete stairs since then as terrible scenarios explaining why Jay wasn’t home ran through his head. Jay could be sleeping with someone else or been ran over by a car and lying somewhere dying or he could be throwing darts at a Taecyeon Target. There were just too many possibilities to calm him but Taecyeon waited faithfully for Jay to return since he couldn’t stay out all night. Unless the one was real, then Jay wouldn’t come back until morning and there was no way Taecyeon would forgive him for ing someone else while he waited for him like a puppet without its master. But here Jay was, stumbling home. He didn’t look drunk, more like exhausted, like he had run a triathlon, but he was the most beautiful thing Taecyeon had ever seen, even better than a couple hours ago.

“Jay!” He called out. Jay looked up, yanked from his dream world, and the expression on his face when he saw Taecyeon made those hours of waiting worth it. The shorter man looked so surprised and utterly delighted to see Taecyeon but that happiness quickly turned to anger as he stormed over to Taecyeon and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt.

“Where the have you been? I’ve been looking for you for hours, you bastard, and you’ve been here? On my ing doorstep?” Jay shook Taecyeon with every word he spat from his mouth.

“Are you serious? Where the hell would you look for me? Or did you really just run around like a chicken with its head cut off?” It was always like this. Both men were a little emotionally retarded so many of their conversations turned to arguments.

“A what? Really, Taecyeon? Is that the best you could come up with? Well, have you been waiting here like a lost ing puppy? Huh?”

“,” Taecyeon hissed before yanking Jay towards him and colliding their mouths. Most of their fights ended in anyway. While their tongues each other’s and their hands re-learned their chests, Taecyeon laughed in his head. What was he thinking? Of course things were going to change but this had always been easy. In their relationship, they flowed together effortlessly. Taecyeon and Jay. Jay and Taecyeon. They could figure out the rest tomorrow, together. 

 

Authors Note

I actually got this one out on time! Yay, arne't y'all proud of me? So the next chapter will actually be late because I have to update my request fic. I HAVE to lol. I haven't written a request since July and I'm starting to feel like a bad person. Anywhoo, what did you guys think of the chapter? Comments and criticisms are fantasitcly motivating! :)