Fire

Fire - Sam

Settling into your new place from moving was refreshing. Finally having a place to call your own was new and exciting. You haven’t even unpacked fully before you were too tired. Taking a nice warm shower you put on some comfy shorts and a really big shirt that hit you around your knees. Sitting on the couch you a movie that you found as you were surfing the channels. It was fun and mysterious but totally predictable.

An hour or so into the show you fell asleep, wrapped in a blanket and curled up on the couch. Smoke began to fill your apartment as the heat began to rise.

Across the street, Sam was spending a calm, beautiful night alone on his porch as he watched the moon rise as the sun fell. Smoke came out of the apartment across the street, billowing out from the windows. People then ran out of the apartment, his adrenaline started to pump through his veins as he saw, you, a new neighbor come in and he didn’t see you in the crowd of people that congregated below. Running out of his apartment he went across the street.

Running into the building he ran to your main level apartment as he pounded on the door, calling your name louder with each pounding. You were passed out on the couch. Sam pounded on the door as picked the lock quickly. Getting into your smoke filled apartment he heard the crackling of the fire as he picked you up in his arms and ran out with you as several firefighters went inside. Gently setting you down on the concrete across the street he held your head as he tried to listen for your breathing. It was subtle and wheezy as he got you some medical help. They placed a oxygen mask on your face as your eyes flickered open. Sitting up quickly they helped you back down as they gave a man some water as well, helping him take deep breaths.

"Let’s bring these two to the hospital." One paramedic said to the other as they lifted the bed that you laid on into the ambulance. The man sat in between the paramedics as he looked over you.

"Just close your eyes, we will be there soon." One paramedic said as his hand rested on your shoulder. The man kept looking at you as you looked at him before your eyes dropped.

"Looks like you just have had a little smoke inhalation, it isn’t bad though. You should be released in a couple hours." The doctor said as they took you through a rigorous procedure to make sure that there weren’t any other problems. The same man that sat in the ambulance with you was right next to you as he was getting done with his procedure as well.

"Sam, you are free to go. Miss you do have a place to stay?" The nurse said as she tried to make arrangements for you. You sadly shook your head as Sam watched you then butted in.

"She can stay with me. We are really close friends." Sam lied you two have never seen each other before in your life. The nurse nodded as you two headed out of the hospital to catch a cab. Standing out in the cool night you took deep breaths still trying to catch your breath.

"So… you really want me to stay with you?" You turned to the strange man. He nodded.

"My name is Sam by the way." He bowed to you as the cab pulled up.

"Mine is _____." You slid into the car as Sam told the driver where to go. "A-are you the one that pulled me from the building?" You looked over at him as he nodded slowly. "Thank you."

"No problem. I will get to the bottom of this and find out what caused the fire, but in the mean time you may stay at my place. It is kind of lonely there with just me." He said as you nodded. Pulling as close as the cab driver could, Sam paid for the ride as you two walked together to his apartment.

Over the next couple weeks, Sam had found that faulty wiring in the unit next to you was the problem that caused the fire. You stayed at his place after he insisted, all of your things got ruined so he happily gave you some of his large clothes for you while you went and bought some clothes for you.

A similar night like the night of the fire fell upon you as you settled down on his couch for the night. He had practice and told you that he would be in late, so you shouldn’t be startled.

Falling asleep was easy for you but it was the dream that you had that got your heart racing and your breathing erratic. All the sights and sounds of that night came back to you. Reliving the event all over again was so painful for you.

Sam came through the door as you whimpered and moaned, rolling over and thrashing around. Walking over to you he placed his hand on your shoulder as he saw beads of sweat on your forehead. You mumbled something like ‘fire’ as Sam gently shook you to wake you up. After some minutes you finally woke up and flung yourself into his arms burring your face into his shoulder as you cried.

"It was just like that night." Your voice broke up as his arms wrapped around you securely.

"It happened but it is all over now." He said to try and comfort you as you nodded. You held onto him as you felt better, not so alone. He sat on the couch better as you clung to him still.

"I guess the fire really scared you huh?" He noticed as you nodded digging your head into his chest. He lifted his legs up on the couch as you laid on his chest, he put a blanket around you as he watched over you making sure that you were safe.