- Story -

At The End of The Day

You walked slowly to your apartment. Not because you’re tired or sick. Well, part of it was right. You’re tired and you just wanted to go home as fast as you can, but your mind and your body seemed out of your control.

You woke up alone that morning, with a note on your drawer across your bed from him. Says

I’m sorry. I have urgent meeting and I won’t be back before 9 pm. I’m really sorry and don’t hate me, please.
We’ll go to your favorite café tomorrow morning and you can show me your favorite waffle and I’ll eat it all.
You can choose the sweetest dish and I’ll still eat it (even though I’ll throw up after that).
Love, Changmin
.’

You called work, told your friend that you’re going to come to work because a bastard left early and ruined your entire plan for that day. Without having a breakfast, you run as fast as you can to go to office because you’re already late for 15 minutes the second you walked out from your apartment door.

Luck was not on your side. You spilled your coffee to a report and you had to retype it for another 30 minutes. Your favorite lunch menu was unavailable and your usually-lovable-cafeteria-aunty was having another bad day, just like yours, and got mad at you because you’re whining and asking for your tuna sandwich for about 5 minutes.

Your supervisor scolded you because he caught you staring your black and blank computer monitor. Then your friend that you called earlier in the morning laughed at your bad day. And you couldn’t call his phone at all. You kept checking your phone every 15 minutes and your friend laughed again at you for acting like ‘high school girl who fall in love for the first time’.

Luckily, you could get out of office easily, didn’t meet your supervisor at all, and managed to refuse your friends’ offer to go to any kind of bar and drink until morning. And the greatest part of your day was you finally could sent him a message late evening, just before you got in the bus that took you home.

He ruined your plan, again. Just like few months before, when you had planned to go to Hawaii for vacation and you ended up cancelled all your reservations and got mad at him for about 2 months. Work, work, work. You hate his work. And you hate him because he seems love his work more than you.

But it’s your fault at the first place, and you hate yourself for falling in love with a workaholic guy. And the fact that his passion for work is his attractive point doesn’t help you at all to ease contradiction you had on your head. You scratched your head and sighed hard. You know he loves you, but you’re sick with him cancelling most of your plan to take a break just for the two of you.

You were unlocking your door when your phone rang. His name was on the screen. You think for a while before flipped your phone open and pressed ‘answer’ button.

‘Hello?’

‘Hello. Baby, please. I’m sorry. I’m really so--’ You scoffed at him as you walked in to your apartment and locked the door.

‘Yeah, whatever. You can sleep on your office or on your old apartment or wherever you c an. I’m not going to let you in tonight. And I’m hanging up.’ You heard a ‘but-‘ just right before you pressed off and turned off your phone. You’re definitely not going to let him come to your messy day, especially it’s him who turned your almost-happy-day to one-of-hellish-bad-day. You didn’t want to think anything about him for the rest of your day.

 You walked straight to piano in the living room and started to play random notes. You love the sound it makes. It is one of the things that never fail to calm you down, no matter how bad your day is. There’s another thing, but the other is the one that made you had bad mood all day.

 You’ve played it unconsciously for almost an hour. Then you realized that you hadn’t had dinner and you were kind of hungry, so you called a delivery order for pizza. They said that it would take about 30 to 45 minutes. You decided to take a shower rather than waiting in living room.

You stepped in to the shower box and the water. It felt cold, so you the hot water. It still felt cold. You let water slide down to your feet, made a puddle on the floor and you kicked it.

You got out hurriedly from the shower that you usually love, felt cold. You shivered even though you’ve wrapped your towel around your body. You couldn’t get rid the cold feeling. You knew what you need, but you won’t admit it. You want him but your pride wouldn’t let you forgive him that easily.

You wore your clothes, but your skin still felt cold. You grabbed blanket from your bed and wrapped it around your body, curled into a big ball in front of TV in your living room. Then you heard the bell rang, once, twice. You got up lazily, didn’t want to get out from the warmth.

You opened the door, expecting the delivery guy brought your dinner. What you got was him standing outside, with pizza on his hand and goofy smile on his face.

‘I just lost my appetite. Thank you, but no.’ You closed the door, but he managed to slip his right foot in before you closed it entirely.

‘Wait, wait. Please. I had my reason why I left early.’

‘You mean excuses. Shoo. Get your foot out from my house.’

‘Don’t wanna. Let me in. Please, please, please.’ He pushed the door hard, made you stepped back a little. But it was enough for him to slip in before you pushed the door closed. You scoffed and turned around, refused to hear anything from him. You sat back in the couch with blanket around your body. He pulled it off.

‘What are you doing? Give it back, you moron!’

‘Don’t wanna. At least hear me first.’ You kept curling in a ball, hands around knees, and legs as close as you can to your body. Eyes on TV, but you gestured him to talk. ‘I’m really sorry I left you this morning.’

‘I’ve known that. Can’t you see my eyes rolling?’

‘Can I talk without you cut me, please?’ You shrugged your shoulder. ‘I know today is your day-off and you’ve planned our all-day date. And I’m sorry I ruined your plan.’

‘Not my plan. My whole day.’

‘Sorry. I’m really sorry. But Yunho hyung called earlier and he said that his flight was delayed and he had to go to this meeting on 9am so I had to cover him up.’

‘So? You worried about work more than me?’

‘No, it’s not like that. Hyung had done much for me before, so at least I can come instead him. I didn’t left because of work, but because my friend needed me. Don’t act like this.’ You massaged your temple and closed your eyes, annoyed.

‘One, I’m a human being. Two, you’re my boyfriend, aren’t you? I have the rights for being mad at you. Three, just try to remember, Shim Changmin, how many time you cancelled our plans just because of work.’ He was opening his mouth, ready to answer, but you cut him off. ‘And, four, I had a bad day today. Woke alone, scolded by my supervisor, laughed by Jaejoong oppa, spilled coffee on a report, and unable to call you all day. So, I’m going to bed now. Let go my blanket.’ You pulled your blanket harshly from his hands and walked to your bedroom.

You slammed the door and climbed to your bed. You still felt cold, so you put the blanket around your body again. You heard the door cracked open and you turned your body till you could feel the wall on your nose. You could feel the bed dipped because of his weight. You could feel him lay behind you, under the same blanket, your back on his chest, and he wrapped his left arm on your waist.

You know that he know you’re still awake. He kissed your shoulder, your neck and once again talked to you, in much softer tone. ‘I’m sorry. I shouldn’t leave like that. And I shouldn’t leave you for work. And I shouldn—‘ You didn’t hear whatever he tried to say. One thing you realized was he’s warmer than the blanket you’ve wore. And suddenly the coldness you’ve felt before just went away. You put your hand to his wrist and pulled him closer. He stopped talking.

‘You’re noisy. Shut up and hug me. I felt cold whole evening, and I want to sleep. Just – shut up.’ You turned your body facing him and you could see him smile brightly. He hugged you tighter, made sure you wouldn’t feel cold anymore. His perfume and sweat from his shirt somehow calmed you down. And you smiled a little. ‘I’m still mad at you, though.’ He chuckled with his low voice and kissed your forehead.

‘Sleep, love.’