Chapter 33

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

"Why are we here?" Bom asked in confusion as Dara parked her car right in front of the restaurant they always go at when they were younger. Dara peered at her sister before smiling apologetically, "This is where our omma works, unnie..." Bom's whole body froze hearing Dara's obvious statement. Bom just stared at the old building and couldn't believe what she just heard. 

"Do you mean... a-ahjumma is our mother all along?" Bom asked silently, still dumbfounded at the surprising fact. 

Dara bit her bottom lip before nodding her head, not uttering a word as she opened her door and got out. She let out a sigh and muttered, "I'm going to finally call you as our mother..." She looked over at the restaurant and saw its glass windows, she saw their mother cleaning tables and smiling at the little amount of customers she served. 

Moments later, the door of Bom's side opened. Dara looked at her and saw Bom straightly staring at their mother, looking all worn out of working all by herself. Dara sighed, "Shall we greet her?" 

Bom looked at her little sister and gave a small smile. Dara returned her smile before locking her car and walked towards the entrance of their mother's restaurant. The door made a small ding, signalling that new customers arrived the place. The look on their mother's face changed as she heard the ding, "Annyeonghaseyo, please have a seat wherever you like and I'll come and se-," before the ahjumma can continue her sentence, she looked up and was surprised two ladies that she missed the most. 

Her breathing hitched but she snapped out of her trance in a snap. She shook her head, making sure she wasn't hallucinating at all. "O-O-h? Uhm, please take a seat..." Bom and Dara nodded their heads and bowed to the ahjumma. The ahjumma watched her two daughters sit at the table they usually sat at when they were younger and couldn't help but miss them more. 

She gulped, walking towards the counter to get two menus. When she got it, she slowly walked towards their table and placed the menus on the table slowly, "Here are the menus. Choose whatever you like and c-c-all me when you're done." The ahjumma smiled at the two, while Bom and Dara looked at her longingly. 

Dara nodded and smiled, "Thank you ahjumma, but I don't think we need the menus. Or do you... Bom?" Dara glanced at Bom and caught her staring at their mother. Dara felt the guilt insider her—for hiding such a big secret to her older sister. Dara bit the insides of her cheeks and nodded at the ahjumma. 

"I'll get kimbap, kimchi and egg rolls." Dara stated, making ahjumma's eyes flicker in hope. 

Dara nodded at her sister, "What are you going to get unnie?" 

Bom's attention shifted from their mother to Dara. Bom blinked and got the message, "Oh, erm... I'll get kimchi stew please." Their mother blinked and nodded. "O-Okay. Just wait here ladies, neh?" 

Dara and Bom nodded as they watched their mother slowly walk away towards the kitchen. Dara looked at Bom, seeing she's worried about their mother's well being makes her heart ache. "Hey, are you okay?" Dara reached for Bom's hand, squeezing them. Bom looked down at Dara's hands and gave her a smile before nodding her head, assuring her that she's fine. Dara pulled away from her hands and clasped her hands together, looking down. 

"She looks... tired." Dara muttered quietly. 

Bom stared at her younger sister and sighed, "You're worried too?" She asked with a heavy heart. In all honesty, they both hated it when they saw how tired their mother looked. It was as if she never had a peaceful sleep at all. When they were younger, she was full of energy, full of enthusiasm, but now... it felt like all the energy disappeared. Dara nodded her head without looking, being the strong one, she didn't want to seem weak in front of Bom. 

Bom pursed her lips, "Should we... take her home with us?" 

And this shocked Dara. Dara's head shot right up, staring at her twin sister's brown orbs, observing her facial expression. "T-That fast?" Dara asked with eyebrows furrowed. Bom nodded her head, "Yes, it's not like she's a stranger anymore, Dara. Also, we could take care of her there... plus you're a doctor, you can check if there's something going on with her. It's not even a suggestion Dara. I want her by our sides... she's not getting any younger anymore." 

Dara sighed, pursing her lips as she thought about what Bom said. She knew what Bom said isn't wrong, it's right, in fact, she should be the one saying this instead of Bom. She was the one who knew that ahjumma was their mother in the first place. She looked at her sister and saw Bom's pleading look. 

"F-Fine..." Dara whispered, making Bom furrow her eyebrows because it was too quiet. 

"What did you say? I didn't hear, you were too quiet." Bom stated quite bluntly. Dara hissed and rolled her eyes, she looked away and sighed. "I said fine, she can stay with us. ONLY! Only if she wants to, okay? If by any chance, that she wants to be alone. We're respecting that." 

Bom snorted and shook her head in amusement at her sister, "Why would she want to be alone? I mean, she's been alone for the rest of her life. Why would she want that? I'm pretty sure she'd agree in a heartbeat." Bom grinned like silly person while Dara just looked at her sister. 

"Whatever you say, Bom."  Dara stated quietly. 

They waited for a couple more minutes when their mother emerged from the kitchen carrying a huge tray. Mrs. Pa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter