xiv. A Reason to Smile

Kencentric One-Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pair: KEo ft. HyukBin + NaVi

If Jaehwan was imagining it inside his head, he’ll definitely regret going over the pile of clothes he mounted on his bed just to pick a perfect outfit for a dinner. He had three hours to prepare and it felt more nerve-wracking than reading and slightly memorizing a script with one hundred pages for their radio show. He knows he’s overdoing things but it might be a once in a life time chance given by the gods and it won’t hurt to give it a try and look his best.

“Hyung!” Hongbin pounces on the older when he sees the clutter in the room. “I’m not going to clean that!”

“I’m not making you too!” Jaehwan whines as he tries to get away from the group’s artwork. “Get off!”

“You better or else I’ll burn all of your clothes,”

“Yeah, jus—“

“What the hell are you guys doing?!” Hakyeon was next to appear, almost getting knocked out by Hyuk when he also joins the wrestling members. “Yah!”

“Looks fun!” Hyuk chuckles and sat on Jaehwan’s legs so he can’t squirm away. Hongbin smirks and mouthed a low thank you.

“Hey tone it down! I’m watching Running Man here!” Wonshik yells at them from across the living room. He couldn’t raise the volume because of their neighbors. They were already given a warning before. 

“What—“

“Jaehwan-ah,” Taekwoon calls and the quartet who was on the mess that Jaehwan made, shuts up automatically.

“Ah ye?” Jaehwan tries to peek between Hyuk and Hongbin’s body.

“I’m starving already. Let’s leave after fifteen minutes,”

Jaehwan’s head spun for a split second before muttering an involuntary ‘Yes’ when he gets a glare from the older lad who looked impatient. He watched him leave in horror. All positivity he had foreseen and hoped for to happen in their first dinner alone were all flushed down the toilet. He knew that night will be nothing but dining with a devil.

“What’s up with hyung?” Hyuk asks no one in particular when he gets off of Jaehwan and left the room a little disappointed.

“Yeah, what—“

“Get off! I only have fifteen minutes to prepare!” Jaehwan flips Hongbin to the side where Hakyeon was folding the clothes. Hakyeon shouted as Hongbin looked at him with a nervous smile.

“Hongbin you better start folding or else,”

Hongbin complies quickly and Jaehwan was fighting back a whine when he started folding the clothes as well even if he wasn’t told to. Taekwoon was scary but Hakyeon was just as scary as him, if not more physically violent.

“What are you doing?” the eldest asks sharply, making the younger members froze in spot. He had his eyes on Jaehwan.

“I’m folding my clothes?”

“Taekwoon told you to get ready, right? Why the hell are you still here?”

“I… well—“

“It’s his clothes,” Hongbin answers instead before throwing a glare at Jaehwan too but got his neck hand chopped by their leader. “Hyung?!”

“No, get going. I need a whole functioning Jaehwan tomorrow for the Radio show. I can’t let that lion eat you,”

Jaehwan flinched, not really seeing or feeling any comfort from their leader—not that he seemed like he was trying to. He quickly grabbed a grey polo and skinny jeans out of the pile as he storms out the bathroom to change and fix himself up. He wanted to shower but he only had seven minutes left to put himself together and look decent.

“Jae—“

“He’s in the bathroom,” Hakyeon mutters, not looking at the vocal who was back at the doorway. 

Taekwoon quickly passed by the room and headed to the entrance hall where he starts wearing his shoes on.

“Hyung, going out?” Wonshik asks, yawning.

He nods and waited for the other to talk again, expecting him to ask something. Wonshik didn’t though and only yawned again before heading straight to the bathroom where Jaehwan just came out, running towards where the rapper left their stoic member.

“Sorry, hyung! Did I make you wait?” Jaehwan asks coyly, taking a pair of loafers from the shoe rack and quickly slipping it on.

Taekwoon shakes his head and left first, the latter gingerly following behind him like a little puppy. He inwardly smiles at that before they hopped in the elevator. A taxi was waiting for them, much to Jaehwan’s surprise when they left the building. He didn’t ask because he was getting nervous.

Twenty minutes passed and they got into a small, almost empty looking Italian restaurant. There’s only one foreign lady eating at a corner next to the counter, present with them. They took the one close to the window opposite to hers which was odd because if fans suddenly see them it would be troublesome.

“Hyung, shouldn’t we be somewhere—“

A blonde waitress appears and closed the blinds to hide them as if she had heard his thoughts.

“Should I serve the food now?”

“Yes please,”

Jaehwan looked down, finding Taekwoon’s English a little forced. He was bad himself but he still found it really funny in his ears. The elder looked like he was trying to impress him too. It made Jaehwan’s hope creep back to life as he chuckles to himself.

“Something wrong—Are you laughing?” Taekwoon asks, looking flustered.

Jaehwan just beams at him. “You sound cute hyung,”

“You—“

“Here’s your order sir, two Chicken Alfredo, Caesar Salad and a bottle of champagne. If you need anything else just ring this bell. Buon Appetito,” a Korean male waiter appears to interrupt a fuming Taekwoon. He serves the food and Jaehwan continues to wriggle on his seat, hiding his laugh with the back of his hands.

“Gamsahamnida,” Taekwoon mutters thickly, glaring at Jaehwan whom he wanted to punch that very moment.

When the waiter left (scared), the elder kicks the younger lad’s shin under the table that made him yelp in pain. Good thing Jaehwan was still holding onto his mouth or he would’ve made a scene with his pitchy cry of pain inside the restaurant.

“Hyung!” he pouts.

Taekwoon just gave him another glare before muttering, “Eat.”

Jaehwan felt the weight of those glare and he completely fixed himself up and obeyed the older’s command. Hope once again gone and this time it was his entire fault. He tries to smile the whole time to try and mend things with the older but it was fruitless.

 

They left the shop, stormed out almost, because Taekwoon suddenly did after he ate. He didn’t know why but the older lad did bolt out and Jaehwan lost track of where he (Taekwoon) went because he thought he had to pay for their dinner. Taekwoon apparently had paid for it in advance which made Jaehwan feel even guiltier for ruining everything. What if Taekwoon was trying to show his affection for him or something close to that? Jaehwan felt confused and upset. He didn’t notice he was crying.

When he turns to a corner he noticed people staring at him and then following behind him when he started walking away. Finally sure that those are fans, he quickly picked up his pace and run far away to wherever his feet takes him too.

Jaehwan was a panting mess when he arrived at an empty park away from the main district. He just found out that he actually left his wallet in the dorm along with his phone, making him all the more anxious.  Now that some people recognize him, he can’t look for Taekwoon.  The odds seemed to have been against their dinner after all. He should’ve just stayed in the dorm and took Taekwoon's tempting offer as a joke.

“I’m sorry,” Jaehwwan murmurs, repentant, stumbling on his feet as he walked aimlessly inside the square. He was cold, guilty and scared but he fights back the tears blurring his vision. He wasn’t even wearing his contacts that time and everything at least a meter away from him is really nothing but a blur. The park didn’t have any lights close by to help him see more clearly either. He was stumbling on things until someone yanks him from behind, an arm snaking around his waist and completely intensifying his anxiety.

 

“Shhh!”

Taekwoon gets out a shop with a scarf and a cap, hiding his face. Some fans had recognized him when he left the restaurant. He had to hide himself for awhile until they disappear. He felt sorry for leaving the younger confused. But what can he do? He felt embarrassed. Jaehwan was laughing and smiling at him the whole time. His heart felt like it’s going to come out of his chest and before he knows it he was running away.

“Did he go home?’ Taekwoon mumbles to himself, trying to blend in the crowd. He grabs his phone to call their leader to confirm it but he sees a message that had him running aimlessly, looking for Jaehwan.

Cha N

Jung Taekwoon, take Jaehwan home with you in one piece. We have a schedule tomorrow and I don’t want anything wrong with that kid okay? Plus you’re the one who asked him out so don’t try to be a douche and take responsibility. Also, he left his phone and wallet here so don’t get any idea of leaving him behind somewhere because you had a temper. You only have until 10 pm sharp to do whatever. Take care!

8:34 pm

Taekwoon bit his lips hard and curses mentally as he called the restaurant they were in awhile ago, hoping Jaehwan was still there.  The bad news came quickly as the manager told him that his 'special' friend had left fifteen minutes ago.

“Where can he possibly go?”

Taekwoon was feeling a little out of breath and he just came out of a bookstore hoping Jaehwan was there. He even entered an art gallery but didn’t see any brown puffy locks anywhere. He sat on an empty bus shed to check on his phone again, hoping there’s message about Jaehwan getting home by himself somehow. How can he though?

 

“No, I’m serious! I saw Lee Jaehwan heading to the park!”

“Of VIXX?!”

“Oh my gosh!”

“Yes!”

“Wait I’ll call the others!”

“Mi Ra says they were following Jung Taekwoon!”

 

Taekwoon mentally froze for a few seconds before he slips on the shed and ran opposite to the students he happens to eavesdropped on. He crosses the street, brisk walking his way to the only park he knows that was nearby. He arrived there after seven minutes, panting heavily.

“Jaehwan-ah!” he tries one time, not wanting to get attention for possible passersby. He finds himself going closer to the play ground jogging his way and scanning the area. He hears shuffling behind him and he sees a figure, stumbling.

“Jae—“

 

“Over here!”

“Are you even sure, it’s dark!”

“Duh use your phone!”

“Aigoo…”

 

Taekwoon sprints his way stealthily towards the figure, assuming it was indeed Jaehwan. He pulls him towards the tree, covering his mouth knowing he’ll make noise from the ambush.

“Shh! It’s me Jaehwan-ah,” Taekwoon whispers in his ear. The latter turns around, revealing he was right all along.

“Hyung...WAAH!” Jaehwan cries, tears falling from his eyes.

“What’s that?”

 Taekwoon’s eyes widen and he hugs the younger lad to muffle his sobs but to no avail. He hears footsteps coming their way making his heart pound against his chest. There’s only one way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter