Chapter o3

Difficulties of Being A Wallflower

Chapter o3

Jihae wasn’t really paying any attention to what was happening in class anymore after assuming that she’d do the project alone. She already told the teacher ahead of time that she won’t be able to find a partner. Although she requested to do the project alone, she was still told to wait until everyone finished stating their partner’s names. At first, she thought that it’s better to have done it with a partner, but seeing that she would not have anyone to work with the project, she decided to do it alone.

She fiddled with her pencils which were placed on her table, trying to think of some brilliant ideas that she could use for her stories. The deadline for her other write ups was also nearing but she wasn’t actually anxious about it. Her thoughts wandered off, completely disregarding what the teacher was asking one of the students in class.

 

“Sehun Oh, partner? Still haven’t found one?” Mr. Han asked Sehun once again after listing down everybody’s partner for the project, except him and Jihae.

Sehun sat up straight and tried to get an eye contact with any of his classmates, hoping that someone would agree to be his partner. When no one responded to his pleading looks, he sighed desperately and muttered, “No sir, still haven’t found my partner.” He slumped on his table and groaned silently. How worse can his day could still be? Since when he woke up until this time, he was bugged with annoyance – firstly because of his sister and now, this project. The project was indeed difficult when done all alone. And now, he supposed that he will be doing it alone. But what the teacher said lessened his worries.

 “Well then, I’ll be the one to decide on your partner like what I have said earlier.” The teacher flipped the list’s page and wrote something on it.

Finally, the teacher spoke and the gradually increasing noise from the students was silenced. “Alright. I will assign Park Jihae to be Oh Sehun’s partner.” The two mentioned students smiled, not because they were partnered with each other, but because they won’t be doing the project alone.

Jihae unconsciously focused her gaze on Sehun who was seated a little far from her. After that incident by the school’s gate, she never expected to be any way near him. She did not despise him for ignoring her but she was thankful that at least he helped her. With that, she was assured that she can do the project easier with him. Although, she doesn’t know how she will approach him. She was never someone who starts a conversation first – that alone made her feel uneasy.

Right after the announcements about the subsequent activities for the class, Mr. Han left and the class was dismissed.

Everyone stood up and leisurely went out of the classroom together with their friends. Sehun grabbed his bag and caught up with Kai who was already walking out of the room. “Hyung! Wait!”

“Aish, Faster!” Kai teased when he saw him almost stumbling on his way. “Yeah, wait!” The younger said, leaving the classroom with Kai and Tao.

 

Jihae, on the other hand, was left alone inside the classroom so she had no choice but to clean the classroom. A task that was supposed to be done by the assigned students for the day. She went to fix the unaligned tables and chairs, sweep the floor that was full of papers and food wrappers, and erase the writings on the board.

“Seriously? How can they leave the classroom without even considering getting scolded by the teacher the next day?” She complained but still proceeded with what she planned to do – clean the whole classroom.

 

“Yah! Who’s your partner again?” Tao nudged Sehun with his elbow as they waited together with Kai at the bus stop near the school. It wasn’t long after they left the school and it had not been long since they waited at the stop.

“Huh? Partner where?” Sehun turned to the older one, utterly confused with what he’s asking.

Kai whacked his head as he laughed. “Pabo! Tao’s talking about your partner in your final project in research.” With that, Sehun recalled what happened in the class almost an hour ago while caressing the area that Kai hit.

“Yah! Why’d you hit me?!” He hissed, glaring at Kai. “I don’t actually remember. I didn’t pay attention with what Saem said. But I am sure I was partnered with someone.” Sehun reasoned out.

“Hm..I heard it was Park…Jitae? Heejae? Not sure.” Tao creased his eyebrows, trying to remember the name of Sehun’s partner.

The two other males laughed at his attempt with a serious face on, earning a glare from him which made them stop. “What?! I was just trying to help out this forgetful guy!”

“Nah~ It’s alright hyung! I will just ask Mr. Han next time about it.” Sehun placed a hand on Tao’s shoulder reassuringly and smiled slightly. “I appreciate the help. But why did you suddenly asked about it?”

Tao cleared his throat while rubbing the back of his neck. “I unintentionally heard some gossipers awhile ago in the room that she’s an anti-social and you might have a hard time dealing with her. I also heard that she’s the school’s wallflower.”

“Oh, really?” Sehun just chortled sarcastically. “I don’t rely on gossips. I’ll have to discover it myself. It’s also my project we’re talking about here. Be lucky because Kai Hyung will help you with yours!”

“Hey~ What’s with the sudden bitterness.” Kai laughed and patted Sehun’s back. “Don’t feel bad, dongsaeng-ah. It’ll just be this time. Don’t you feel even a bit grateful? At least you’ll meet a new girl in class?” Kai wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at the younger.

“You know I am not interested with any intimate relationship, hyung!” He scoffed and lightly pushed Kai away from him.

“Alright! alright!” Kai raised both of his hands, as if surrendering to a cop. “By the way guys, wanna hangout at my place first before going home?” Kai suddenly suggested in an encouraging tone, cocking one of his eyebrows as he between the two taller guys while placing a hand over their shoulders.

“Sure! Will the other guys come?” Tao asked, hoping that the set of friends Kai has will come as well – Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Suho. He wanted to be friends with them as well since he saw that they are good friends with Kai.

“I don’t know. Haven’t asked them yet. I’ll try inviting them, wait. Let me call them.” Kai stepped back and fished out his phone from his pants’ pocket, calling them about the plan.

“Hyung! Tell them to buy bubble tea for me!” Sehun begged, showing him his irresistible aegyo. Bubble tea has always been his favorite and his friends knew about it. He would even ask them to give him one though the stores are too far away from where they are at.

“Arasseo, don’t want the baby to cry for it~” Kai sing-songed mockingly and started typing numbers on his phone. Tao laughed loudly about what he said, making Sehun hit his head.

 

The nightfall came and the security guards started checking the school’s facilities. They made sure that no one was left inside the school’s buildings before they locked the main entrance of each.

Meanwhile, the sleeping Jihae woke up after dozing off unintentionally when she finished cleaning the classroom. Perhaps, the exhaustion brought her to dreamland. She stretched her arms and stood up, grabbing her bag as she walked her way out of the classroom. She closed the room’s door and checked her watch, her eyes widening when she saw the time. It was freaking 6:48 pm already!

She sprinted down the staircase since her classroom was at the third floor of the building. She was about to go out of the school’s building when the main entrance/exit was locked by the security guards.

“Wait! I am still here!” She yelled while still running swiftly but the guards did not seem to notice her so they proceeded with checking the other buildings and facilities before staying at their quarter.

Jihae leaned on the wall beside the exit, upset of what happened. How would she be able to go home now? She doesn’t have any friends to call in times like this, which made the situation worse for her. Scanning the place around her, she looked for a possible way she could get out. “Buildings always have backdoors, right? …Or no?” She asked herself while trying to come up with a plan.

She walked from corridor to another corridor while checking if there’s any possible way out. Unfortunately, all the classrooms in the ground floor were closed so she would not be able to hop out of the window, if ever.

Not long after, the glint of hope that she could still escape faded in spite of looking through all possible exits. She went by the staircase and sat at one of the steps. She hugged her knees, resting her chin between gap of her knees. It was strange how the school closed so early. Usually, it would close around 7:30 pm. She knew it because she stay at the library at most times. Perhaps, the library hours is not the same as with the time when the maintenance crew locks the buildings.

Almost three hours had already passed after the classes ended. She assumed that even the teachers are not in the campus anymore. A sigh escaped her lips as she stared at the ground until she thought of something she could do to pass the time. Pulling out her notebook, she tore a page and wrote a note for Sehun so she wouldn’t have to approach him personally about the project – although, she wasn’t sure with how she would send it. She is actually a shy type of a girl, an awkward turtle even. She doesn’t know how to hold a conversation without stuttering or feeling nervous. It has always been so hard for her to approach someone, even if they look completely friendly.

Her lips curled up while letting her eyes gaze on the finished note on her lap. ‘Oh Sehun-ssi, this is Park Jihae. Mr. Han assigned us to be partners in the final project in Research. I was wondering….maybe I could do the first draft and you’ll do the editing so you wouldn’t have a hard time doing the project with me. I am afraid that you won’t be comfortable working with me. That’s all. Hwaiting! ^-^o ’

Time definitely flew slowly around her. She glanced at her watch and it has only been thirty minutes since she last checked the time. 7:18 pm. She rose up from the staircase and wandered around the building, making an effort to ignore her growling stomach. She had not even eaten her snacks during break time because of the burden of the projects that needed to be finished by next week, and she only have five days to finish it. It wasn’t actually an individual project. It’s a group project, but as an obsessive-compulsive type of girl, she wanted to have the project done perfectly and with satisfaction. She never settles for something good enough. That was what she observed from her older sister when she was younger. Although the person she admires the most cannot be there for her anymore, she still kept her as an inspiration to go on with life.

Jihae sauntered along the corridors of the building, not anymore hoping that she could go home tonight. She has already come up with a plan that she could do as soon as the building opens again. She would run off to her house to prepare for school and take a quick breakfast. Probably, change the set of things that was in her bag since her schedule is not the same every day.

Instead of slacking off, she tried to look for somewhere she could rest on.  After contemplating whether to sleep at their classroom or at the corridor, she ended up occupying a space right beside the main door, resting her head on the wall and wrapping an arm around her bag as if it was a pillow. She thought that it will be easier to sneak out as soon as the door opens early in the morning.

 

A sound from the opening door was suddenly heard after almost two hours. But Jihae had already fallen into a deep slumber, and it’s as if even a honk of a truck couldn’t disturb her rest. That was the way she sleeps when she was really tired after a stressful day.

A certain guy stepped into the building with a security guard, guiding him inside. That guy has told the security that he has left a gadget under his desk in his classroom and he was permitted to enter after few tries of persuading the head security. 

“Oh Sehun-ssi..Are you sure you left it inside your classroom? You know that no one is allowed to visit the classrooms beyond class hours!” The security guard, on his forties, clicked his tongue while holding his flashlight, lighting up their pathway as they stride towards the classroom. His way of speaking to him wasn’t exactly a nagging one, a scared one might be.

Sehun tried not to pay attention with what the older man tells him. He somehow knew that it would only be something insensible. Indeed, he was right. Since the time they walked away from the main gate where the security guards’ quarters were at, the guard kept on asking him if he was sure that he had left one of his belongings. He replied on his first question, but he still kept on throwing similar questions at him which really irritated him – though it cannot be seen on his face especially that he has his poker face on.

“Yah! Wouldn’t you even say a thing?! You disrespectful piece of-”

With his hands on his pockets, he halted on his tracks and turned to the security guard, cutting him off with what he was about to say. “If you are scared, you can let me go alone. I don’t mind.”

The latter’s eyes went wide, slightly surprised as to how he found out about it. He stepped back then handed him his spare flashlight. Clearing his throat, he said, “A-alright. Take this and be careful. I don’t want to be blamed if something bad happens to you. Understand? I’ll be waiting for you at the main entrance. Come back as quickly as possible.”

Sehun nodded the slightest then focused the beam of light to his pathway, moving forward to his classroom. The security guard was left dumbfounded when he went on without any reply. Sehun is never a bad-mannered person; it’s just that the security guard was so talkative and annoying; he only wanted to leave him so he could search for his phone in silence.

As soon as Sehun reached the room, he went to check the compartment under his table. Disappointed, he slouched on the floor with his back against one leg of the table. How can he lose his phone when he always slips it inside his pants’ pockets? It’s never his never his nature to leave things. But now, he’s having a hard time looking for it.

“Where did I possibly leave it?” He groaned as he planted his face on his palms. Furrowing his eyebrows, he stood up and searched around the room, only to find nothing.

Heaving a frustrated sigh, he stepped out of the room when he decided to check his locker which was inside the newspaper team’s room. Lucky that he has the key to open the room. One of the privileges of being a chief editor, maybe? He doesn’t really care right now. He just needed to get his phone back! It’s not because it was expensive or what. But because he has some important files in it – pictures of the school festival which will be put in the newspaper’s next publication and many others related to school.  It also included the pictures he took from the PowerPoint presentation the teachers have shown in class since he was too lazy to take down notes. He basically had his life all in his phone and he can’t afford losing it.

It did not take long before he reached the said room. He proceeded to his locker right away and rummaged through his things until he found his phone which was buried under his belongings, a smile spreading on his lips.

“Great!” He exclaimed gladly, relieved that it was not stolen by someone or whatever. He pocketed his phone and just then, he remembered why it ended up there.

It was during the last break time when he entered the room and dumped some of his books messily. He was utterly oblivious that he placed his phone in it when their newspaper adviser suddenly called for him. That another annoying person always calls for him without any good reason. Sometimes, he will be called to just check the essays of his students, which was obviously unfair. It wasn’t his job at all! But every time he will tell him about it, he will always be told that, ‘it could help him sharpen his skill’, which was noticeably ridiculous!

That time, Mr. Kang, the newspaper adviser, sought for him to scan through the essays of his students, who were in their second year in high school. He wanted to include the best three works into the next issue of the newspaper. Not only that Mr. Kang discussed about it, he also talked about insensible topics that does not concern Sehun. Because of that, Sehun only had five minutes left in his break time which really annoyed him.

Grabbing his flashlight once again, he walked back to the main entrance leisurely. It didn’t take him awhile before he reached; however, he noticed a barely conspicuous creature beside the entrance. How could he not saw it awhile ago when he entered? It doesn’t seem like a ghost for him so he was certain that it was a human. Without thinking twice, he inch forward to observe it closer.

Bending down a little, he found out that it was a girl but he was not sure if he knew her. But her face is definitely familiar to him. Where did she saw her? He is not sure.

He knelt in front of her, brushing the strands of hair that was covering her face. He stared at her sleeping face longer than he intended to. His heart started to beat faster than usual and it felt surreal. It wasn’t every day that he would look at someone’s face for too long. But at this point in time, he only wanted to observe her more, an amused smile pasted on his lips.

Before he could even touch the girl’s face, she squirmed then subconsciously shifted into a better sleeping position. He chuckled softly and hesitantly ruffled her hair softly. He thought that it was not good for a girl to sleep just somewhere so he decided to wake her up.

“Yah~ Woman! Wake up! Why are you sleeping there?” Sehun said as loud as possible for her to hear.

Feeling a constant annoying poke on her cheek and nose, Jihae opened her eyes lazily while waving the freaking hand away from her face. “Stop it! I want to sleep more….” The last words were said almost inaudibly.

“Seriously? You want to sleep in that dusty place?” He chortled. “Come on. I’ll walk you home. It’s already late.” He held out his hand for her with a warm smile.

She hastily sat up when she recognized the voice, not minding the hand that was stretched out for her. Oh my! Why is he here?!?! She looked at him with wide eyes. Her right hand instinctively cupped his face to make sure that he wasn’t just an illusion. “S-Sehun?!”

“Yeah? I am Sehun.” He answered nonchalantly, smirking a bit. He reached for her hand that was on his cheek and placed his palm over hers. “Let’s go home?”

Gasping a little loudly, she withdrew her hand from his face. Suddenly, she felt her cheeks warming up and her heart beating loudly. Sehun has already caught her attention ever since that time he helped her pick up her books. It was the first time after a very long time of staying in that expensive school that someone approached her and lent a hand to her; even if she knew it was never intentional. She also knew for the fact that no one will grow interest with her, so she pushed all her impulsive feelings towards him. It wasn’t because she’s a pessimist, but she just want to save herself from getting broken, like those characters she always write in her stories.

Standing up from her place, she grabbed her backpack and smoothed her wrinkled uniform while asking him. “How did you get here? Did they open the main door already?”

Sehun stood up the moment she asked him then nodded, “Ah..yeah. They opened the door because I had to get something I left.”

“Oh, alright! I think I have to run home now!” She showed a subtle smile and bowed at him. “Thank you!”

“W-wait. Why are you bowing?” he lifted her shoulders, refraining her from bowing. “Don’t bow. And, why are you thanking me?” he chuckled then ruffled her hair gently, his fingers entangling some hair strands in the process.

Jihae froze for a second before she could respond. Did he just…? Once again, her heart skipped a beat and she clutched her hand over her chest. It took her a few seconds before she snapped out of her daze. “Uhm..I want to thank you for coming to school at this hour. If not, I’ll be locked up here until morning. Also, thank you for waking me up.” Her lips curved upwards, showing him how grateful she is.

Suddenly, Jihae’s phone rang; not because someone called her, but because the note she alarmed tells her that she needs to meet up with an important person. And if she fails to show up, it will mean her end as a writer. Of course, she doesn’t want that to happen. Without any ado, she bid him goodbye. “Ah, Sehun-ssi!” She hastily kept her phone in her bag’s side pocket and gave him an apologetic gaze. “Sorry, I have to go now! Thank you again!” 

Before he could even reply, she had already disappeared from his view. He clicked his tongue and walked his way out of the dark building. “That girl. I told her I’ll walk her home.He mumbled, flashing his light onto the door as he step out of the building.

Soon as he closed the main door, the security guard who was waiting for him immediately locked it up in a rather anxious way. “Faster! Go home now student!”

Sehun could only laugh at the older’s reaction. He expected him to be tough since it’s his job to look over the school beyond class hours. He’s completely ridiculous. “Aiish..Seriously?!” He retorted in a high pitched tone then shook his head in disappointment. “By the way, thanks for the flashlight, sir. I’ll go now.” He handed him the flashlight that was lent to him earlier and buried his hands into his pockets before striding away.

 

Jihae hurriedly went to the agreed place of meeting with a certain person. That person was not just someone. He was the reason why she has been earning for a living. He gave her the opportunity to use her skills for her own good. Other than that, he was her older sister’s bestfriend whom she met right after the tragic incident almost 9 years ago. Nine years since they both last saw Jihae’s sister.

According to him, he wanted to talk to her about something very important so she agreed to meet up right away. She trusted him since he was her sister’s bestfriend and he has always been there for her even if there are times that everyone seemed to forget about her. Supposedly, they’ll meet at 8:30 pm; however, it’s already 8:46 pm and she was worried if he’s still waiting.

“I hope he’s still there.” Jihae muttered while brisk walking towards the bus stop. Not long after, the bus came and she hastily went inside to take the nearest seat to the exit. She kept glancing at her phone to check the time and if that certain person left a message.

She gazed out of the window and she saw how some stores close which made her more anxious. Could he still be waiting? Is the café where they’re supposed to meet up still open? Staring impatiently at the road, she asked the bus driver whether he could go any faster, only to receive a short disappointing answer – no.

She urged herself to send him a message but as stupid as she  already is, she didn’t save his phone number whenever he calls. So his only option is to visit his house to apologize for not being able to come.

Once the bus arrived at her stop, she dashed to the coffee shop near her residence where she is supposed to meet him. Some gave her judging looks but she doesn’t care. She needs to come even though she’s already late. Damn the school for locking her up! She could’ve arrived earlier than the agreed time.

Not even taking awhile, Jihae arrived at the coffee shop, her hands rested on her knees as she let her lungs catch some air. She let her gaze wander around the shop, looking for a familiar face among a crowd of strange faces.

In the farthest corner of the shop, there she saw him, sipping on a drink which she noticed was his favorite drink. Just by the sight of him still waiting, a gush of relief came to her and she knew that she owe him an explanation even if he won’t ask any.

When her breathing became even, she walked towards him, not minding her disheveled hair, her crumpled uniform or even her unfixed straps of her bag on her shoulders. She reached his table after a few seconds and she immediately bowed apologetically to him. “I’m sorry Luhan oppa. I didn’t mean to be late. I swear. Something just came up. It’s a long story. I just want to say sorry for being late! Forgive me, please?” Jihae said everything in a very fast way, as if she was rapping a song. A normal person couldn’t even understand it right away.

She stayed like that for awhile before a chuckle was heard from the said guy. His eyes were soft and warm behind his glasses that was placed on the bridge of his pointed nose, his blonde hair that covers his thick eyebrows was slightly tousled in a stylish way, and his angelic smile that never fails to melt any girl’s heart. Even if he wore a simple red polo over his white undershirt matched with his black cargo pants, he still appear so handsome.

He tore away his gaze from his book and motioned for her to sit beside him. “Come here, dongsaeng-ah. No need to say sorry, alright?”

Jihae straightened up as soon as he heard what he said, a smile slowly spreading on her lips. How he love this oppa. Not in a romantic way though. He always understands her and he never fails to tell her the right words she needs to hear in different situations. However, she never considered him as a friend or a family. For her, he is a very unreachable and respectable person. He will always be a mentor to her and she will never stop expressing her gratitude towards him.

She nodded with her head hung low then sat beside him. He pushed a drink to her and to her surprise, it was her favorite drink. She hesitantly took the drink from the table and sipped on it. “Thank you.”

“Aigoo..You’re so careless. Look at you.” Luhan leaned forward and helped her fix herself. He brushed his fingers through her hair, settled the straps of her bag on her shoulders, and wiped the imaginary sweat that was on her cheek and forehead. He had always acted a brother to him even if she did not ask for it. But she was still thankful for all the care he is expressing with her.

Jihae only flashed him an innocent smile and giggled. “Thank you again, oppa.”

“No need to thank me for every good thing I do for you, alright? If your sister were only here, she would do the same. I am just doing her a favor.” He said casually, ruffling her hair that was neatly combed a moment ago.

“Yes, you always tell me that. But still thanks!” She giggled. Shifting slightly, she snatched her back and handed him a printed copy of her recently finished argumentative essay/article about the distressing situation the environment was facing nowadays. It was to be posted on a famous magazine who once contacted her for her commendable writing style.

“What’s this?” He asked before scanning through the paper. She did not reply though, but she kept her childlike smile on her face.

After few minutes of reading her paperwork, Luhan looked at her with an amused grin then mindlessly wrapping an arm around her shoulders, squeezing her gently. “This is awesome! You should write more, you know? I won’t get tired of reading everything you write, whether it’s an article or whatever.”

Her cheeks flushed red when he commended her of her work, not really used to hearing such words from people. She cupped her face and sniggered while mumbling. “Aigoo..You’re overreacting.”

“Nope. Am not.” He retorted nonchalantly, taking another sip of his drink. “By the way..” Placing down her work on the table, he took out a rectangular box which appears the same as those that were used for fountain pens. He handed it to her with a barely noticeable frown and she took it right away, staring at the object interestingly. “That’s the thing I wanted to give you. It was actually from your older sister, Seojin. She wanted me to keep it that Christmas Eve. I was supposed to give it to you with her…but.” He sighed heavily before forcing a smile, not wanting to make Jihae feel uncomfortable.

“Oh..I see..” She nodded as her grip on the box tightened, suppressing her emotions that wanted to fill her up. “Thanks for giving me this, oppa. You know that I value everything that concerns my sister.” Upon remembering what happened nine years ago with her and Seojin, her heart clenched instantly and she hated that tragic event that ruined not only her family, but her whole existence.

He simply shook his head upwards and took her right hand, caressing the back of her hand with his thumb. “I hope it could help you, somehow. Seojin left a message for you using that one. It was actually a pen recorder. Don’t worry, I didn’t listen to even a word she said there.” He joked, trying to lighten the mood. He knew that even if it had been a long time, it would still make her upset. Such memories don’t tend to fade easily. With his attempt to, he made her chortle, receiving a slight nod from her after.

“Thanks Luhan oppa. Eonnie chose a very nice bestfriend!” She exclaimed without any trace of sarcasm in her tone.

“Now that’s the fifth time..” Luhan clicked his tongue teasingly as he shook his head sideways, leaving her dumbfounded.

“W-what?” She asked, completely clueless of what he was talking about. “You know? I don’t get you.” She pouted and kept the rectangular box inside her small bag.

“Silly.” He then playfully squished her left cheek, careful not to hurt her.

She groaned and patted his hand, telling him that he should stop. “No! Not my cheeks!” He could only laugh at her cute actions, but he held it back.

“Sorry.” He caressed her cheeks tenderly and smiled warmly. “You should stop thanking me always. You already thanked me five times today.” Luhan muttered.

Jihae exhaled heavily before meeting his gaze. “Oppa, I told you-”

He cut her sentence immediately, knowing that she would tell the exact same thing she always says. “Yes, I understand. But at least try? I do it for you willingly, not because I am obliged for being Seojin’s bestfriend, okay? I saw what you’ve gone through. I want to be there for you, at least.”

She blinked at him for a few times, not expecting him to say such things. “A-alright.”

“Good.” He patted her head fondly, his eyes forming crescents as he flashed a wide grin. “I’ll walk you home. Come on. I think they can’t close the shop with us staying here.” He burst out laughing and she can’t help but laugh as well.

 

The night wind was quite cold, but Jihae tried to keep herself from trembling. Luhan noticed it. So when they were already walking to her house, he took her hand and let her run with him to ease them from the biting chilly air.

Jihae was reluctant to run with him at first since there are still a lot of people around the streets of the neighborhood and they might think they are crazy. Besides, she doesn’t know the reason they were running. However, his encouraging smile made her step out of the line that refrains her from having fun.

Luhan took a glimpse of her blissful smile and it made him feel proud for making this girl who was drowned in misery for several years smile. It was as though another mission accomplished for him.

Before the clock strikes twelve, Jihae and Luhan reached their destination – Jihae’s residence. She was about to enter the house when he suddenly pulled her back and enveloped her in a comfortable hug.

“Dongsaeng-ah, don’t always let despair take over you. Remember, I am always here. You can rely on me; call me anytime you want or need. Alright?” Luhan whispered against her ear, making her feel secured and cared for. The time seemed to freeze for awhile at that moment. Neither of them felt any uncomfortable feelings towards each other.

With a grateful smile, she pulled away from the hug and left a friendly peck on his cheek. “Alright. Good night, Luhan oppa. Be careful as you walk home.”

The lad merely smiled cheekily and messed her hair fondly. “Yes, I will. Good night Jihae.”

When his retreating figure disappeared from her sight, she went inside her cozy house and threw herself onto her bed. It was a very tough day for her, yet a very memorable one. Although she couldn’t explain her delightful sentiment, she still thanked those she had to thank mentally.

Taking out the rectangular box that was given to her earlier, she reminisced her past memories with her sisters and instead of feeling upset, she felt completely happy. As if another piece of her puzzle was found.

Eonnie, keuriwoyo~

Staring at the box for too long, she did not notice herself falling asleep, yet again.