Chapter o1

Difficulties of Being A Wallflower

Chapter 1

It was already late in the afternoon when classes ended. Students ran home alone; others chose to stay behind with their friends. Ji Hae doesn’t have anyone to call as her friend. The rest of her life was spent alone albeit, she was contented.

She walked past the crowded streets with her usual blank face. Wandering across the city, she thought of stopping by at her favorite spot in an abandoned tree house before going home. It was a place she and her older sister found when they were younger. Since then, the sibling stays there whenever they have the time to. Indeed, it was a place that holds a lot of memories of her childhood.

After a very long walk, she reached the bus stop and sat down while waiting for her bus to come. Bored, she fiddled her shoes on the dirt that’s on the ground. The place was oddly empty for such time. Typically, students would come to wait for their buses to come.

Her gaze wandered around until it fell on a familiar guy he always sees in school. Sehun She thought, holding her breath for a second. He was the same guy who helped her with her things without him being aware.

The guy stood there with his bag hanging lazily on his shoulder. She noticed that he was busy talking to someone on the phone, murmuring words couldn’t comprehend because of the distance. His eyes focused on the ground, leaning his back on the light post at the bus stop. Sehun wasn’t exactly a popular guy in school but many students admire him for being the lead actor in school’s role-plays always. Besides that, Ji hae doesn’t really know; probably because she wasn’t fond of listening to gossips.

Ji hae averted her gaze from him when she realized that she was looking for too long already. Fixing her belongings, she hastily stood up once her bus came. It was a very quiet ride, probably because no one cares to talk to her. She stared out of the window while admiring the view of the city while she waited for her destination. She then noticed the sun slowly setting in her view.

The silent atmosphere inside the bus was disturbed when family sat across her. She observed them for awhile and she saw the bright smiles planted on their faces. Their loudness wasn’t really irritating for her. Somehow, they reminded her of the family she once had. Memories came rushing down to her. Eventually, tears streamed down her face but she quickly wiped it as soon as it came.

FLASHBACK

“Eomma! Appa! Eonnie is teasing me!” 5 year old Ji Hae stomped her feet in annoyance as she made her way to her parents. “She said I look like a frog princess…” Little Ji Hae cried unstoppably in front of her parents.

Ji Hae’s mom, Park Min Ji, came to hug her dearly and wipe her tears, warm smile trying to make her feel better. “Sshh.. don’t cry little princess. Eonnie is just joking. Right Seo Jin?!” She looked firmly at her older daughter, Park Seo Jin.

“Yeah. I was just joking baby girl! How can you be annoyed so easily?” Seo Jin chuckled. She plopped down on the ground and started eating some snacks that was laid on a large picnic mat. Their family decided to have a simple picnic at their small backyard this Saturday afternoon.

“Really eonnie?” Ji Hae asked her sister.

“Yeah.. so you better come here before I finish all the food here.” Seo Jin baby sister once again, still munching some delicious food their father have prepared. She can’t help it. It’s in her nature to eat plenty.

Ji Hae blinked for awhile before running to her sister. “A-aniya!! Don’t!” She went to by her sister’s side and started eating as well.

“Hey girls. Don’t eat that all. Remember your parents. Show some gratitude.” Their father, Park Ho Seok, joked while grilling some steak and hotdogs for them to eat.

“Honey… Don’t say that. Just let the girls eat as much as they want. Right, girls?” Min Ji defended her daughters, and then sat across the two girls on the picnic mat, smile plastered on her face.

Their father sighed in defeat. “Alright. Alright. I will just eat the left overs later then.”

Everybody burst out laughing and the day went on happily.

END OF FLASHBACK

Everything was so perfect back then. And it had always made her chuckle every time it comes across her mind. Although it was a happy memory, she couldn’t hold back her tears so she let her tears flow. How I wish you are still here for me; giving me the attention and love I always wanted. But those things are impossible now.

She turned and buried her face into her scarf that was wrapped around her neck while her arms were protectively hugging her bag, being cautious from any robbers. She took in a deep breath to calm herself down, suppressing all her emotions in the process. She pulled out a pocket book from her bag then read throughout the ride. Reading stories somehow made her feel better, especially if it doesn’t deal with reality. But she knew she can’t escape the cruelty of life. That’s one of the many things she learned while living single-handedly.

Ji Hae went down the bus as soon as it stopped by at her destination. Many passengers were strangely waiting at the stop. She tried to go out but they all pushed her in, like she wasn’t there at all. She couldn’t do anything but step aside and let them enter first. Some even elbowed her side in the process; however, none of those bothered to apologize. It seems like they don’t care about her, even just as a person. But she tried to understand, thinking that they might be in a hurry. She only managed to step out when everyone was able to step in.

Walking along the sidewalk, she inhaled the fresh air from the village her family used to live in. The area somehow holds a familiar atmosphere and it has always made her feel warm. The tree house was only blocks away from where she was staying so it was easy for her to visit their abandoned house once in a while. While strolling down the streets, she observed that the streets were empty. No children playing, no couples walking. But she couldn’t care more.

She finally arrived at the place after quite awhile. She climbed up the ladder that was nailed on the tree slowly. She settled her things at one side once she entered. The place was rather empty but it had always given her the feeling of home. Some leaves that have fallen down from the tree were pushed inside the tree house by strong winds, making the place a bit messy. Autumn has already arrived, so it’s pestering her to clean all those leafage every single day.

“Aiish.. These leaves! I should really repair these broken windows so they couldn’t get in anymore.” Ji Hae muttered, slightly irritated. She took note to bring tools next time so she could fix the broken hinges and locks of the windows, as well as the cabinets.

She tied her hair into a tight bun and began sweeping out all the dirt using the cleaning materials that were kept in a cabinet. Cleaning wasn’t really a big deal for her. But it annoys her that whenever she drops by, she was always met with a complete mess, like a typhoon passed by the place. Soon, the house was as clean as it could be and she smiled in contentment.

“Finally, I could rest!” She laid out the mattress that was folded at one corner. She settled her things right beside her and started doing her school works. That day, only few things were given as their homework so it would not take much time for her to finish it.

Sitting by the window, she watched the sun set in the vast sky as the city lights started to light up. Her thoughts wandered and once again, she mindlessly thought about her painful past with her parents. For the second time that day, her tears betrayed her. Even if how much she tried to keep herself from being vulnerable, her evidently wet cheeks and blood shot red eyes always reveals how miserable she actually was.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a shout of a girl and she guessed that it wasn’t so distant from the treehouse.

As Ji Hae gaze out of her window, she saw a girl being bullied a group of boys, having no capability to fight back. Fear was etched on the little girl’s face for she was being surrounded by four boys who are probably older than her because of their height. One of the bullies raised a backpack and passed it to another while the girl continuously tried to take it from them. Surely, it was the girl’s belonging. The bullies laughed at every of her failed attempts.

Just by looking at the scene, Ji Hae realized that she is even lucky to be a wallflower because at least, she had never experienced being bullied. There was an urge inside her to help the little girl but she doesn’t know how to handle such things.

 “No! Please give it back! That’s mine!” the little one exclaimed. “I did nothing to any of you. Please stop it!” the girl whimpered and collapsed on her feet when she felt giving up.

“Yeah right. But we’re still having fun. Come and get it little brat!” The tallest among the boys spat out. They kept on making fun of the girl when someone from across the street called their attention.

“Hey! Don’t do such stupid thing to a girl. I know you have something more important to do than to bully that little girl.” the guy’s hands were inside his pockets as he casually walked towards the bullies, his face wearing a blank expression.

The bullies turned their heads to the guy and laughed with each other, unconvinced with what he said.

Sehun?! Ji Hae thought out loud. What is he doing here?

“What?! So, you are just going to stand there? Leave!” Sehun looked at the boys blankly, but his voice is so firm and full of authority.

Daunted, the bullies ran off and the little girl’s bag fell down on the grass in the process. The owner delightfully took her bag and whispered simple thanks before jogging away.

Ji Hae saw how the male gently patted the girl’s head with a smile before she left. It was something that made her smile. All awhile, she thought that every man is careless. That they only care for the things they think they are involved. What he did actually surprised her. At that moment, she felt that she is slowly growing interest on him.

Sehun was still standing there, watching the younger ones go. After awhile, he leisurely walked off towards a direction unknown to Ji Hae. That guy is really strange for me. I should really quit observing people’s action. I have more important things to focus on.

 

Sehun arrived at their house, which seemed to be a mansion, earlier in the evening. Maids were spread around the house-cleaning, cooking and following every instruction given by Se Rin, Sehun’s older sister.

Se Rin had been a fashion designer and an interior designer, both at the same time. She established her own clothing line at a very young age of 21. Now that she’s 22, her small business still earns a lot and the people still patronizes her works. Although she is still having her lessons for her field, she has already decided to put up her own business because it’s her passion and it was what her heart told her. Money wasn’t a problem for them actually. She is older than Sehun by two years but they are still close to each other. Se Rin is the loud and cheerful one while Sehun is the quiet and serious one; total opposites but still in good terms.

Se Rin noticed her brother standing by the door frame, staring at what they are doing. She turned to him and flashed a wide grin before proceeding with what she was doing. “Hey! Saeng, how long have you been standing there?”

Sehun walked into the living room languidly before throwing himself onto the couch. “Not long actually. Noona, what are you doing?” he looked up and observed, yet another weird thing, his sister was doing.

“Decorating!” She replied cheerfully, as if it was the best thing to do at that time.

“For what?” The younger one looked at her sister curiously.

“For Christmas! Aren’t you excited?!” She giggled, her voice’s tone a little high-pitched, making Sehun groan mentally due to irritation.

“WHAT?!?! Don’t you think it’s still early noona? It’s still August.” He cocked an eyebrow then shook his head at his sister’s bizarre action.

“Yes, I know that. But isn’t it relaxing to see these beautiful decorations and flickering lights when you come home?” She went down the ladder she had been standing at and looked at her work with awe, her hands clasped together. “Oh my! They look great!” She, with the help of some maids, had just fixed an 8 foot tall Christmas tree that was now situated at the corner of the room.

“Yeah right.” He rolled his eyes as he shook his head once more, finding her idea ridiculous. He leaned his back on the couch, lazily shifting the channels on the television.

“Aww.. Don’t act that way. Want some Noodles? I prepared some awhile ago.” His sister appeared behind him and leaned on the couch, watching him closely.

“hmm.. sure.” He nodded but didn’t stand, and she knew that he wanted the food to be brought to him. “Lazy bum~” She sing-songed then shook her head, smirking as she walked to the dining area. 

-

Ji Hae arrived already late night at her own small apartment. She wasn’t able to keep track of the time while typing down two of her five ongoing stories and an article to passed at a website she was working at. She lazily hang the door’s key on the key holder on the wall as she closed the door behind her.

Her unit wasn’t as spacious as others, but it was considered enough for her since she found it nonsensical if she bought a huge house and she’ll be the only one residing in it. Stretching her limbs as she was walking towards her bed, she changed into her comfortable clothes and placed her bag onto her study table.

With a smile gracing on her lips, she said, “Omona~ such a very tiring day. What do we have for dinner?” It might sound silly but she got used to talking to herself since she was the only one at home and she has no one to talk to outside her home even. However, she only does that whenever she wants to relieve from stress.

She bent down and checked the foods placed inside the refrigerator. When she found a pack of instant noodles, she decided to cook it right away. Just like all the other days for Ji hae, her dinner was eaten by only herself. “jjal mokkeu sumnida!”

Ji Hae lay down on her bed as soon as she finished eating and doing her nightly routine. She looked up at the ceiling and thought of random things that could make her sleep, until she thought of the moment that happened hours ago at the tree house. Sehun-ah..You surprise me in a very strange way. I wonder who you really are.  She sighed, knowing how cruel life had always worked for her. She thought that socializing and being acquainted with others won’t give her any good. It would only waste her precious time because she do realize that the outcome will just be the same; her, being ignored yet again.

She turned and faced her open window, revealing the calm and wide sky painted with glittering stars. Her lips curled up before closing her eyes, finally contented of everything that happened during the day.

 

 

 

 

====

First chapter is up! Comment please? also for the readers...subscribe if you like the story. ^-^d i would really appreciate your support! <3