Epilogue

Haunted Mansion

"There you two are!" said the woman who greeted everyone in the beginning, as you and Sungjong made your way toward the front gates. The small group of people from before were there, smiling and laughing as if they just had the time of their life. The woman hurried over to you, unaware of your tired expression. "We were beginning to think you were trapped," she teased. "Did you find the clues you were looking for?"
"Something like that," replied Sungjong, and the two of you exchanged glances. The woman was oblivious, and held out a hand.
"Your supplies, please," she said, "and what happened to your lantern? Surely, you couldn't have made it through without it, could you?"
"Oh, yeah... I accidentally dropped it, and it broke," answered Sungjong sheepishly, "I think the butler swept it up, though."
"Butler?" she mumbled, "I don't remember there being a butler... No matter! I'm sure we've got plenty more in the stock room." she said wistfully as she headed back toward the crowd. "Hurry up before I close the gates; it's almost time for closing!"
Sungjong looked at you in disbelief, worried about what he had just heard. However, you were too distracted to return his gaze, staring fearfully at the headstones by the side fence. Sungjong quickly headed over to wipe off the debris that covered them. One by one, the two of you read the headstones that were displayed.



            Maria E. Hawthorne                              Isabella C. Hawthorne                      Gared P. Hawthorne
                   1874 - 1905                                              1903 - 1912                                     1868 - 1942
     Beloved Wife, Mother, Daughter                     Beloved Daughter                      Beloved Husband, Father


The two of you read the headstones quietly, and Sungjong gently took your hand.
"You don't suppose who we saw tonight were..." You couldn't manage to finish your sentence, and looked at Sungjong.
A tear rolled down his cheek, and you kissed it away. He turned to look at you, and smiled, grateful that you were safe. "Come on, let's go home." he said. The two of you walked hand-in-hand toward the small crowd of people, and you looked back at the mansion. You swore you could see a curtain from the upstairs window flutter, and you wondered if Isabella was still waiting for your return. You shook your head, and grabbed onto Sungjong's arm.
It was sure to be a sleepless night.