The Second Floor (cont.)

Haunted Mansion

"Where are you going?" Isabelle called as Sungjong grabbed your hand and headed toward the door.
"We have something to do," answered Sungjong.
"Don't leave me!" Isabelle cried, "I don't like being alone! Are you coming back?"
"Don't worry," you said, "everything will be okay, I promise."
The two of you left Isabelle's room. The last thing you saw before Sungjong closed the door was Isabelle standing up and running to the door. As it shut, you felt a pang in your heart. Why was this happening? Brushing away the feeling, you turned to Sungjong. He re-lit the lantern and looked at you.
"Well? What's your plan?" you asked.
"There's definitely something strange about this place," he answered, taking a deep breath.
"What do you mean?" you asked, beginning to feel worried.
"Didn't you notice her neck?" he asked. You shook your head, unable to recall anything strange. "It was bent. At first, I just thought she had a bad posture, but after she told us that story..."
"Sungjong, what are you talking about?" you were starting to panic.
"I don't know. It could be makeup, but not even the best makeup artist could pull off something like that."
Sungjong looked away and ran a hand through his hair. He looked back toward Isabelle's door, and gasped. The door was completely gone. Instead, there was only a wall where a tarnished mirror hung sadly in its place. You noticed it too, and backed away.
"Sungjong... Sungjong, I don't like this. Let's go, please-"

You screamed as a man's face appeared behind Sungjong. Sungjong quickly turned around and cried out as well, backing up to you. The man furiously glared at the two of you, eyes like daggers.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" his voice boomed.
"We were just-"
"GET OUT. THIS IS NO PLACE FOR VISITORS! GET OUT!" he shouted as his figure towered over the two of you.

Sungjong grabbed your hand and the two of you ran down the hall.
Amidst the pursuit, Sungjong had managed to drop the lantern, shattering the glass and leaving the two of you without a source of light. You could barely see anyway, as tears were stinging your eyes. Not knowing where to go, Sungjong panicked and felt the wall, and you heard the man advance toward your direction. Finally, he found a door and opened it, quickly leading you inside.
"But Sungjong, this isn't the exit! I want to get out!" Sungjong hushed you, saying that the two of you would leave just as soon as the man in the hallway was gone. He shut the door behind him as quickly and quietly as he could, and listened for footsteps. The two of you heard the sound of glass being swept into a dustpan, and the footsteps grew further away.
Sungjong gave out a small sigh of relief, and felt for you in the darkness. You flinched at contact, and he assured you it was only him. Sungjong pulled you close, and held you against him. You held onto him as tightly as you could, too, and began to sob.
"Oh, Sungjong!" You cried, "I never want to come here again. Please, let's just leave."
"Shh, it's okay..." he whispered soothingly, "I know, I'm sorry, I-"
He paused as the two of you heard a faint sound of sniffling coming from inside the room.
"Who's there?" Sungjong called out. "Hey, do you still have the box of matches?" he asked you quietly. You felt your pockets for the matches, and handed them to him. He struck one of them and grabbed a candle from the bag in his pocket. Finally, with the small source of light, the two of you could see a bit of your surroundings. You let out a quiet sob and patted Sungjong's arm, pointing to the floor. It was covered with books.

The sniffling continued, and Sungjong moved toward it. Outside, the moon shone through the window, lighting up the room with a faint blue glow. In the room sat a man, crying over his desk. He looked too weak to make any sudden movements, so Sungjong moved closer.
"Excuse me, are you Gerard Draven?" he asked. The man stopped crying and looked up, surprised at the two of you.
"Yes, that would be me," he answered sadly. His eyes were swollen and red. "What is it that you want?"
"Um, we want to know... answers." answered Sungjong, not sure of how to explain himself.
"Answers?" Mr. Draven asked, "What sort of answers?"
"Well, for one," began Sungjong, "why are you crying?"
"Why, because I've lost her!" Mr. Draven shouted, causing you both to jump.
"Lost who?" you asked, though you had a feeling you knew.
"My dear wife, that's who! And now Isabelle," he stared wide-eyed, and buried his face in his hands. "Oh, Isabelle!" he sobbed, "Why were you such a quiet child? If only you knew how to call for help, why, I never would've-" at this point, he couldn't contain himself and buried his face on the book-covered desk once again. You and Sungjong watched him in pity, not knowing what to do.

"That man, he... He wanted me to go with him on a trip, you see? And not the relaxing kind either, no... No, he wanted me to go on a trip to help him with some unfinished business we had in the past, you see?"
Sungjong nodded, and he continued.
"And I said to him, 'No, I can't go on a trip, I've got my daughter, Isabelle to care for, you see?', and he goes, 'A daughter you ain't even looked at in years?', and I got so mad at him for bringing up such a touchy subject... I said, 'Don't you dare talk to me like you know what I'm going through!', and I lost my temper." He shook his head in disappointment, looking down at the desk.
"That man was a bad man, you see? He did things in the past - I did things in the past - that we're not proud of at all, no... After my wife had a child, I told him, 'That's enough, I'm done with you and your lousy deals', but he told me I wouldn't see the last of him, oh no... And things were okay up until then. Mary... Why, my wife, Mary and I, we spent many years in happiness. And boy, did she love Isabelle. Isabelle... She was the light of our life, you know?"
He quietly sobbed, and looked out toward the moon. "Ever since Mary passed away, I couldn't look at Isabelle the same. She looked too much like her mother, you see? Reminded me too much of my dear Mary..." he sniffled, "so I avoided her from then on, not wanting to be reminded of my dear, sweet Mary. But then... But then that man!" he spat, "He came and took her away from me, took my dear, sweet, innocent child away from me. Right under my very nose! He said 'Now you ain't got an excuse not to go'. At first, I had no idea what he had meant, since I hadn't heard a peep from my dear Isabelle. I thought she was safe and sound in her room. I hadn't suspected a thing, I just thought he came back to badger me some more. So I told him 'Get out!', not knowing what he had just done. It wasn't until he was long gone that I heard the maid screaming her bloody guts out... Oh, Isabelle... My dear, sweet Isabelle!"

 

Sungjong had heard enough, and so had you.
"How do we get out of here?" he asked.
"Ooh, I don't know!" the man sobbed, throwing his arms up, "I've been in here for so long, I seem to have forgotten!" Sungjong grew impatient, not wanting to play along with this haunted mansion joke any longer.
"I'm serious, we want to leave. Tell us the way out." he demanded. Mr. Draven wiped his eyes with his handkerchief and shook his head.
"It's no use! There's no way out," he said, "I've tried and tried, but I can't find a way!"
"Sungjong," you said, patting his arm again, "Let's just go out the way we came, I'm sure there's a way out, we just have to look at the map."
"The map!" Sungjong repeated, reaching for it in his back pocket. As he unfolded it, he noticed something about it was very off. None of the rooms had labels anymore, including the one you were standing in. "Now what?"
"I seem to recall there being a spiral staircase down the hall," Mr. Draven piped up.
"There is? Where does it go?" asked Sungjong.
"If I remember correctly, it leads to the servants' quarters, which should lead... To the back-yard." he answered slowly.
Sungjong grabbed your arm and the two of you made your way to the door. Behind you, you could hear Mr. Draven sobbing yet again.
"Ooh, I've lost her, I've lost her..! I can't believe it... I've lost her!"

Sungjong quietly shut the door behind him as the two of you stepped out into the hallway. He listened closely for any sign of the butler, not wanting to attract him once again. You followed closely behind him, careful not to step on his feet. He let out a sigh of relief as he came across the spiral staircase, and decided to go down first. The two of you made it to the landing without noise, and without any problems. The servants' quarters were empty, minus the few bugs that scurried along the stone floor. Both of you went out the door, relieved to find the exit once and for all.