Chapter 2

The Player Or The Husband

Chapter 2

By the time we made it to Korea it was about 5:30 the next morning. Jet lag was beating me up and I just wanted to crawl into my warm bed at my dad’s house and sleep.

“Grace, there is a welcoming party planned for tonight for you.” Dad looked over at me. “You can sleep until then. Just make sure you’re awake early enough to get ready.”

Dad’s eyes scanned the rows of people waiting at the airport holding signs with names on them. Finally his eyes stopped and he started walking toward one of the people, gesturing for me to follow. I did as I was told quietly.

The man he was walking toward bowed at the waist. “Welcome back, Sir.” He straightened back out and looked at me, bending again slightly. “Hello, Madame.”

I nodded to him as he gestured us toward the car. He removed the carry-on bag from my hands, leaving my father with his and my purse on my shoulder. There were multiple camera flashes as we made our way to the car. They calmed down when another man, wearing the same suit as the first, opened the limo door for us. My father was about to get in when a voice spoke up behind us.

"Why didn't you take the private jet?" A smile formed on my face. I would recognize that voice at a rock concert. I quickly spun around and dropped my purse, luckily my phone was in my pocket and other fragile things in my carry-on. The cameras started flashing once again but more vigorously this time.

"Oppa!" I ran up to the six foot three man and jumped into his waiting arms. He held onto me as if he never wanted to let go. More camera flashes.

"It's been a while, Sis." His accent made me smile. My one and only older brother was born and raised in Korea. He's technically my step-brother but he's as close to blood as it gets, aside from my parents. "I hear you’re back to star in We Got Married."

He put me down but left his hands on my shoulders. The smirk on his face was driving me nuts. I knew he was planning something. I was starting to regret my choice. My poor husband-to-be.

"Yes. And in a drama with Zelo of BAP. Whatever you're thinking about doing, don't do it, Jason." My step-mom chose that name in hopes that he would become Hollywood famous. She didn’t want there to be difficulties saying his name. Instead, he chose to become famous in Dad's business. Jason wanted to work with stars rather than to be one. He was the one who usually set up my jobs but it seemed this time he had no say in it.

"Come on, let's go for a ride. I have my bike!" He quickly changed the subject, not agreeing to refrain from doing anything. He looked over my head. "I'm taking Grace!"

I looked over my shoulder to Dad nodding before Jason grabbed my hand and dragged me to where the waiting motorcycle was. A smile crossed my face again as he got on, handing a helmet over to me. I put it on and he did the same with his own. Pictures of this would be filling the news tomorrow. Every magazine will be headlined as “Grace is back! Greeted by Jason!” My real name was rarely used in the papers.

Usually when Jason and I would go for a bike ride we would end up on a beach or in a park somewhere and just talk for hours. Jason’s almost exactly five years older than I am. Dad would tell me stories about how protective he was.

There’s a video after my birth of Jason holding me. It was a couple days after my birth due to the fact Dad couldn’t make it to America fast enough. The look on Jason’s face was beautiful. He asked Dad if I was his little sister, Dad said yes. He looked down at me and just said, “Saranghae.” Dad said that from that day on he’d studied English like his life was on the line. He could speak fluently before I could walk.

I laid my head on Jason’s back as we took off. I remember one time in elementary school, I was bullied by a couple boys; Jason was thirteen at the time. I told him about it, crying the whole time. Dad and he were here the next morning. They came to the school during recess and Jason saw them bullying me. If I hadn’t have stopped him, he would have got into a fist fight with them. He had one of the kids up against the school by his collar and the other by the arm.

Needless to say, the kids never bullied my again. But at the same time, I didn’t have many friends throughout school. By high school, I only had one. After everything came out about who my dad was, I had lost all my true friends. People tried to surround me but they weren’t real so I refused it. I remained friends with Kim and only Kim.

After a little while of driving and looking at the scenery that I missed so much, we pulled up to a small café by the beach. I wasn’t really sure which beach but it was beautiful either way. We ordered lattes and sat down.

“So, how have you been?” I was the first to speak up.

“Fine. God I’ve missed you.” He was staring at me intently. Like he was taking in every detail about me. “No guy will be good enough for my little sister.”

He reached over the table and placed his hand on mine. “Don’t worry, Jason. Everything will be fine. It’s only a virtual marriage.”

He sighed and pulled his hand away, running it through his black hair and staring at the table. “I know, I know. But still. I’m surprised Dad agreed to it”

“It’ll help out Grace Entertainment.”

“I wish he would’ve talked to me about it.” He sighed again.

“You would have said no.”

“I know!” He looked at me like it was obvious.

“And you wouldn’t have budged. I can do this, don’t worry. I’m sure it’ll be someone good. Who knows, you might even like him.”

“No. I won’t accept anyone to marry my only little sister. I don’t care if he was the president of the United States!”

I just laughed and shook my head. “Just you wait, Oppa. Everything will play out fine. And just remember, this will cause me to stay in Korea longer.”

“That’s the only good thing coming out of this. If he messes up in the slightest, I’ll take him down. He won’t see what’s coming.” He planted his hand down flat on the table. “And that’s that.”

I laughed and shook my head again. “Saranghae, Oppa.”

“Saranghae, Dongsaeng.”