End

Bus Driver Blues

It was love at first sight~



I started driving the city bus as an extra job to help pay for the apartment me and my little brother Taemin shared. Our parents had died a few years ago. In a car accident. Some dumb drunk driver. Leaving me with everything.. Which wasn't much. We were a poor family and didn't have a lot of money in the first place.

They didn't put Taemin into foster care because i was already 18 and at the time had a job.

Right now. I have three jobs. Cashier at  a Quick Stop gas station. (I do that at night). A mail delivery man. (I do that in the morning). And a city bus driver. (I do that the rest of the time.)

Im always worn out. But I want Taemin to at least have some kind of good childhood. When ever I have extra money I go to the local bakery shop and pick up a small cake for me and Taemin to share. It always makes him have the brightest smile id ever seen. And I love it. It reminds me why I put so much effort into working. Just to know he's happy.

Today I'm driving the bus around town. Stopping every 5 minutes when someone pulls the handle and stopping at the bus signs to pick up new passengers.

I haven't seen him in weeks. It makes the fake smile i wear even less fake. When ever i see him the smile turns genuine. He really was the only thing that made me smile. Other than Taemin. I don't know why though. I didn't even know him. But it was just one of those...Love at first sight things you know?


Flash back

"Stop Chicago and 90th" I say as I roll up to the bus sign and stop. Opening the doors.

A few passengers stand up from the back and make their way to the door. Stepping off carefully. You have no idea how many accidents have happened because of these bus steps.

I see a crowd of people waiting to enter the bus. I wave towards the seats signaling they can come in, pay, and take their seat.

One by one people walk of the steep steps and pay me their money. I quickly count it to make sure they didn't give me a tip. Some of the old ladies I drive think I'm "adorable" as they would say. So they'd add in a few dollars. Which I always appreciated.

 After everyone was on. I was in the middle of shutting the doors when someone yelled "WAIT!!!" And stuck their hand in the double doors so i couldn't close it anymore.

I opened the doors (because I'm a nice bus driver) only to fall in love at first sight.

What I saw made my mouth drop. I'd never seen such a beautiful person.

Sharp eye's decorated with black eyeliner. A perfect nose and even more perfect plump lips. And his smile was just. I cant even describe it. His hair was blonde and wavy. So cute. That was just his face. Not even including what he was wearing. Tight (and I mean tight) bright red skinny jeans. An Over sized white T-shirt with something french written on it.  And army boot's.

I watched as he walked up the stair and stood in front of me. "How much is the fare?" He said with a smile, grateful for letting him get on

I just stared not being able to speak. Lost in a trance. I finally snapped out of it. Shaking my head. "Oh uh. Two-two seventy f-five"

He blushed probably because I was starring at him. He pulls out his wallet which is hot pink with sparkles. That made me smile.

He holds out his hand with the money in it. I take it from him. Brushing his hand with mine as i take the money. I swear there was an electric shock.

I quickly count it and put it in the machine.

He smiles at me one last time before he walks to the nearest empty seat.

I could see him in my rear view mirror. I would glance at him every once in a while and we would make eye contact. Both of us blushing because both of us were starring. Looking away quick. Me paying attention to the road.

It happened like this for the next month. He'd be at the same stop every day. Except sunday. So I would always dread getting out of bed on that day. Because I couldn't see him. He'd always pull the handle to get off at Slide and 40th. I wonder what he does.

end flash back


I never caught his name... I haven't seen him in almost a month. It really...Broke my heart. That i couldn't see his beautiful face every day.

I wonder what his name was. Maybe Jack? No that doesn't suit him. Kacy? No thats to girly. I bet its something unique. Like Lock maybe? uhm..Yeah that would fit him. But not quite.

I'll just say his name is Lock. Where are you Lock? I miss you...

I wonder if you miss me.

My shift was almost over. It's about seven o'clock. Thats when me and Rick switch shifts. I stop at the Bus stop where he is waiting. To switch out. Clad in his bus drivers uniform similar to mine. But he has a name tag. I never got a name tag because it wasn't required and it cost twenty dollars to make it. I wonder if Lock ever tried to guess my name...

I step off the bus waving to the old women that love me.

"Bye Beth, Suzy, Jenny!" I yelled with a smile on my face.

"Oh wait wait!!! Come here doll!" Suzy a unique old lady. That likes to dye her hair pink called to me waving for me to come over to her. I go back up the stairs and stand in front of her.

"Yes suzy?" I say in the nicest way I can. She pulls out her purse and hands me a ten dollar bill. My mouth turns in to an "O". I try to give the money back.

"Ah I cant take this. Thank you though." I say trying to hand her the money back. She puts her hand up.

"Oh yes you can young man. Iv seen you working at that nasty gas station. Thats what? Two jobs? Buy your self something nice dear." I wasn't going to tell her that i actually have a third job or she would have given me even more money. I kindly take the money thanking her a million times before i exit the bus.

Well i guess Taemin and I get a nice little cake tonight! He's gonna be excited. I haven't had extra money in forever. The feeling of not seeing him fading a little but not all the way. I just wish he would pop out of no where.

Now lets see, what's the closest bakery. I look around noticing where I was and start walking to the nearest bakery I think it was called "Taste these Sweets" Kind of a provocative name. But it made me laugh. Turning the corner i spot the small shop. And my face lights up seeing the yummy cakes displayed in the window. Chocolate was Taemins favorite. Id have to get that kind.

I walk into the shop. The little bell on the door ringing. "New low" was playing in the shop as I walk in. Its actually my favorite song. Thats pretty cool. There's a person turned around at the counter. It seems he's the only one working. He's singing the song quietly. But I could hear it. It made me smile. Not wanting to interrupt but needing to leave soon. I say.

"One Chocolate cake with cream cheese icing please." I say. The singing abruptly stops. The worker turns around with a blush noticing that someone had heard him singing.

Thats when it happened. It was him...

His eye's widened and the blush got deeper.

I bet my eye's got wider too. My mouth had fallen open. It was him. My love. Standing there. In a baby pink shirt with the store name on it and red skinny jeans. The same pants I had first saw him in. My eye's fall on his name tag. It says "KEY" ah....of course. Its not Lock its Key. Can I be your lock Key?

"Oh...Its you." He said with a shy timid voice.

"Haha...Yeah...you took the bus i drove for a while.." Key's eyes looked at the floor. "Where have you been?" I say with sweetness and a little but of sadness dripping from my voice.

Because that all i wanted was to give you sweetness. To give you love.

I think you caught the sadness in my voice.

"I got a new job." He said waving behind him to the shop. Sadness in his voice too.

There's something unspoken here. I can tell... I have to do something...

"Oh well. This place seems nice." I said with a laugh. Trying to lighten the mood. He shrugged. "Its okay... I liked my old job better."

"Aw. Why?" I said now trying to fall in to a comfortable conversation. The first conversation id ever had with this beauty standing in front of me. And i hope not my last.

"Because..." He paused for a second, thinking he just didn't want to tell me. Maybe it was personal. "Because..I got to s-see you every day." He said with a slight stutter. Making me smile, blush, and look at the ground all at the same time...

Before I even got a chance to respond he said "So a chocolate cake with cream cheese icing?" rushing around to the back to get the box to put the cake in it.

Catching me off guard i stutter "O-oh y-yes please." He puts the cake into the box. Before closing it, he looks up to me. "Uhm, Is this for a special occasion?A boyfriend? A girlfriend?.. Would you like me to write something on it?" I smile at this. He's asking if its for a boyfriend or a girlfriend... That must mean's he's interested? Maybe....Maybe... I hope.... Why else would he miss seeing me everyday? Maybe the bus fare was better...

"No, no boyfriend, no girlfriend. Just for my little brother. When ever I get tips. Or extra money. I like to buy him a cake. It makes him happy so...ya know." Key's face softened at that, and smiled. "Oh haha, well. I can draw a cute picture on it if you want. Im a master with icing." He said in a accomplished voice.

My smile grew. "Yeah okay, just what ever you want. As long as its cute." I say. His face lighting up, he runs and grabs two bags of icing with a hole cut in the corner. I see him going to work. His tongue slightly sticking out in concentration. Once he's done he closes the box. And smiles at it. Grabs a ribbon and ties it around with a big bow in top.

He puts it on the counter. Smiling at me. With a slight pink to his cheeks. "On the house" He says.

"Ah no no i couldn't really." Trying to hand him the money. Key pushes my hand away. Sending an electric shock through my body. Just like the first time. I couldn't say anything. I retreated and put the ten dollars in my pocket. "Thank you Key." I said his name rolling off my tongue perfectly. Blushing. he says "No problem. Come back sometime" Smiling at me. " Enjoy your cake. I hope your brother likes it. And I hope you enjoy what I drew." He says winking at me. Making my face turn even brighter. I regretfully start walking towards the door.

"Wait." I hear Key say. I turn around starring into his eyes. "What's your name?"

"Onew." I said a smile plastered onto my face.

"You really should invest in a name tag Onew" He says and turns to the next costumer. I turn around. My cheeks hurting from smiling to much. Opening the door the night air hits me. Making me realize how hot I had become.

I look down at the box neatly wrapped. Curiosity took over and I unwrapped the ribbon, opening the box as I started walking to my apartment.

What I see makes me the happiest man in the world. Drawn onto the white icing was a cartoon kitty winking holding a cell phone. And in a talk bubble was a phone number. Key's phone number. My loves phone number.

I close the box after entering the number into my phone.

Wow.

I knew love at first sight existed.