Prolog

Canicula
   The young boy walked down the stairs slowly. He wore his dark winter jacket opened, revealing his yellow-black striped pullover, his hair was well styled and as soon as the boy reached the small street in front of the house, he took a deep breath and looked up to the blue, clear sky. Because of the cold weather the boy's breathings showed up as white mist and the boy buried his hands deep into his pockets as he suddenly got kicked on his back and almost hit the wall of the other building, but he could catch up himself at the last second. Then he turned around and saw a taller boy standing right in front of him.
   "What are you doing, the outcast of our class?", the boy asked in a teasing tone and gave the boy a light slap on his cheek. Then the boy pulled out his hand like he was waiting for something. "Ya, where are my 10000 won?" But the boy didn't answer and gave to other one just a confused glance. "What? You're giving me 20000 won today?"
   "You are in my class?", the boy suddenly came up and gave the other one a pissed glance.
   "Pretending, are you?", his opponent laughed like he couldn't believe that the boy started to fight back, "Not being at school, you dare talk back?" Then the boy wanted to punch him straight in the face but the brown-haired boy draw easily aside and avoided to get punched. Unable to believe what was going on the boy tried once again to hit him but he couldn't reach him again. At the first time the boy stepped closer and avoid the other's punch by grabbing his collar, pulling the other boy close to him. And suddenly the boy heard something behind him and when he looked over his shoulder, he saw another boy, who looked exactly like him.
   "Could the outcast you were referring to be him?", the boy asked pissed and pointed at the boy some metres behind him and the other boy looked shocked from one boy to another, "You want 10000 won, right? Take it away!" Then the boy pushed his confused opponent away and punched him straight in his face.
   The boy fall on the ground and stood up immediately as three other boys ran down the stairs to join their friend. "Youngmin, what is it?", one of the boys asked quickly.
   "On such a cold day this guy is bullying my brother", Youngmin said and grinned.
   "Hey, just have Youngmin go to Kwangmin's school tomorrow, Youngmin being bullied will surely be hilarious", Youngmin's friend said and started laughing together with the others.
   Then Youngmin looked over his shoulder again to talk to his brother without turning directly to him. "Hey, Jo Kwangmin are you the only one with that face? Can't you do well?"
   "I'm sorry hyung", Kwangmin said quietly while looking sadly down on the ground, trying to avoid his brother's glance.
   "Why are you sorry?", Youngmin asked and suddenly he didn't sound as pissed as before. Then Youngmin turned back to Kwangmin's classmate and walking slowly to him, while his friends followed him and started to kick and punch him, while Kwangmin pressed his eyes together and looked away because he couldn't stand to see a scene like this.
 
   On the next day Kwangmin sat in his class and waited for the teacher, but he couldn't concentrate because his classmate, who sat behind him was staring at him without a break. That cold, deadly glance caused goosebumps all over Kwangmin's back.
   Suddenly two other classmates appeared next to his desk and slapped Kwangmin's head slightly. "What are you doing?", one of them said, while the other one grapped Kwangmin's chin that he had to look up to them.
   "Hey, kid, look when you speak!"
   "Do you have money?"
   "Hey, why are you studying?", one of them talked and throw Kwangmin's book away.
   "Punk!", suddenly someone said from behind and the two boys let go of Kwangmin and walked off. When Kwangmin looked over his shoulder he saw the classmate, who was punched by Youngmin, gave him a straight glance and Kwangmin gave him a thanking smile. But suddenly the classmate jumped up in rage and kicked Kwangmin with all his power from his chair and Kwangmin throw on the ground. "You daring to smile at me? Who do you think you are! You think two people who look identical are identical? Tiny ant!"
   "Kwangmin! I bought rice cakes", Youngmin talk loudly as soon as he entered the small flat, where he and his brother where living with their mother. He was looking for his younger brother in the kitchen and living room but he wasn't around, so Youngmin entered the small room, where he saw Kwangmin lying on the ground, completely covered by his blanket and Youngmin tried to pull the blanket away, but Kwangmin hold it tightly, "Ya Kwangmin! Forget it if you don't want any!" 
   Then Youngmin turned around to go away as he noticed some bruises on his brother's back and he quickly pulled Kwangmin's pullover away to take a look on his brother's back, while Kwangmin hid his face in his blanket.
   "Hey", Youngmin shouted, pulled the blanket away and grapped his brother on his collar, "Why did you take a beating again? That face.. I said you're not the only one wearing it, didn't I? I told you to do well, didn't I?" 
   "Idiot!", Kwangmin said and jumped up, walking quickly into the ktichen, where he grapped some black ink and started to daub it on his face.
   "Hey, what are you doing?", Youngmin asked as he followed Kwangmin into the kitchen, "Are you crazy?"
   "Looking at the mirror, I always see a face that is identical to yours", Kwangmin talked with a thin voice and slowly his eyes filled with tears, "But why am I like this? Why do I live like this? I also dislike myself."
   Youngmin didn't know what to say or how to react, he felt hurt to see his brother like this, smeared with ink all over his face while crying. The only thing he could do was turning around quietly and going in his room, where Youngmin stood behind the door until he heard how Kwangmin went into the bathroom to take a shower. He knew that his brother had lessons at the afternoon, that would be his chance.
   After showering Kwangmin went into his room, where he looked at the mirror for a second before he turned the mirror away, that he didn't had to watch himself anymore. Then he turned to his waredrope were his school uniform normally hung, but his uniform was gone.
   "My clothes...", Kwangmin talked to himself and looked curiously in his room around, "My school uniform..." Then he saw his brother's uniform, which normally laid next to his and suddenly Kwangmin knew where his brother and his uniform were.
 
   Youngmin had taken his brother's uniform. He went to his brother's school, acting as Kwangmin, because he wanted to take revenge for his brother. Although they didn't get along well with each other, he was still the older brother and he wanted to protect Kwangmin.
   He sat on Kwangmin's chair, his head placed on the desk in front of him until he suddenly felt how someone stepped on his feet.
   "You didn't tell your brother, right?", the classmate said and Youngmin looked up.
   "No..."
   "That's right. That's how it should be", the classmate laughed and patted the boy's head of who he thought it was Kwangmin, "Follow me!" And so did Youngmin and he followed him to the school's roof.
   "You brought it, right? Why are there so many places I need to spend money lately?", the boy talked more to himself then to the twin and Youngmin didn't say anything, causing the boy in front of him getting pissed. "Hey! What are you doing?"
   "You still don't know who I am?", Youngmin suddenly came up and gave the other boy a pissed glance, before he started to punch him. But Youngmin stopped his fist right in front of the boy's face. "At what time I stand in front of your eyes... even I don't know. Understand?"
  Then Youngmin bumped into the boy by walking away but the boy didn't want to let it be, he grabbed a big stone from the ground and ran to Youngmin, who quickly turned around to protect himself. The boy slipped and fall over the small rail some metres down in the ground. Youngmin looked shocked after him, unable to move as he saw the boy laying lifelessly on the ground.
   Youngmin swallowed hardly before he run home, where Kwangmin sat at a corner in the kitchen. As soon as Youngmin saw his brother, he throw Kwangmin's jacket at him before he went into his room.
   Kwangmin didn't know what was going on. He thought that Youngmin was just sick of helping him out although he didn't ask for his help. He took a deep breath, he didn't want to think about anything anymore. He decided to help his mother with the household by bringing out the waste for her since she wasn't home yet.
   "Are you student Jo Kwangmin?", someone asked as soon as Kwangmin came out, "Student Jo Kwangmin, you are under arrest for assault and attempted murder." The police man cuffed him and Kwangmin looked shocked, surprised and confused at him.
   "Pardon?"
   But the police man didn't accept any words and pushed Kwangmin into the car, he wanted to hear Kwangmin's statement at the police department. In the cold room was Kwangmin sitting on a chair while the police man sat on the other side of the table, making notes.
   "I don't know anything", Kwangmin said with a thin voice.
   "Student Jo Kwangmin, there are students who saw you with Jeong Byeongtae", the police man talked annoyed.
   "I... don't know anything..."
The police man sighed loudly and grapped some papers. "When Jeong Byeongtae fell from the roof weren't you together?" But Kwangmin didn't answer and the police man throw his papers annoyed back on the table. "How do you dare deny it? You wanted to bully Jeong Byeongtae causing this to happen, right? You... bullied him, didn't you?"
   "Pardon?", Kwangmin asked shocked as it suddenly knocked at the door and another police man entered the room.
   "What is it?"
   "It isn't him", the other man said and pointed at Kwangmin and suddenly Kwangmin understand what was going on and why Youngmin was so weird when he came back home earlier. The police men let him go and Kwangmin walked back into the public office where he saw Youngmin and his mother, sitting in front of the desk of another police man who was writing down Youngmin's statement.
   "Don't worry", Youngmin said to his mother, "He isn't dead. He'll get better very soon."
   "Yes, indeed", his mother answered and petted her son's back encouragingly, "I'll go to the hospital and plead. We have to plead."
   "Mom", Kwangmin said quietly but his mother was busy caressing her older son and didn't even see him.
   "What can be done", suddenly the police man came up and everyone turned to him, "Jeong Byeongtae has died. This is homicide, Jo Youngmin."
   "Pardon?", Youngmin asked shocked and had to fight against his tears of angst.
   "Youngmin", his mother said teary and grabbed his hands, before he turned to the police officer, "Excuse me, it wasn't my Youngmin! My Youngmin wouldn't do that kind of thing."
   "Bruising was found on Jeong Byeongtae's body and according to our investigations, a few days ago Jeong Byeongtae was beaten on the streets", one police man talked, "Isn't that right?" Then the other officer grabbed Youngmin on his shoulder before he lead him through the room to the hidden rooms. When he met Kwangmin in the middle of the room, he just gave his brother a blank glance. A glance which didn't say anything, not even a single word and Kwangmin looked down on the ground because he couldn't bear with that glance.
   "Youngmin!", suddenly his mother yelled and wanted to run after her son, but Kwangmin stopped her by hugging.
  "Mom!"
   She stepped back from Kwangmin and gave him a slap straight in the face. "Why didn't you stop your brother from going to your school? You should have stopped your brother from going to your school!", she screamed under tears.
   "Mom..."
   "Because of you, Youngmin's life is ruined", she continued, "It's all because of you! Because of you!" Suddenly his mother stopped crying and looked up to her son with big eyes. "You go in."
   "Mom!"
   "You go in. You did it! If it was in your uniform, then you did it, right? You go in. You go in!"
   "I didn't make him go", Kwangmin interrupted his mother while fighting uselessly against his tears, "I didn't make him go... I didn't do anything."
   "Youngmin... Youngminnie...", his mother babbled to herself, trying to follow her older son while Kwangmin blinked often to stop his tears but he couldn't held it back anymore and he slipped down on the ground. He had never imagined that something like this would happen. He never wished something like this to be happened. Although they never got along with each other, Kwangmin never wanted to harm his brother.