Reunion (Part 3)

Suddenly Everlasting (Tawaran Trilogy, #3)

12/26/16

Estimated Time Period: Modern Times (2015AD)


 

HYUNA and HYUNSEUNG

         “Would you like some hot chocolate?” Hyunseung asked Hyuna as she settled down on the couch.

         “I’d very much like some, thank you,” Hyuna smiled as she removed her scarf. It was finals week, so they were studying for their political science class together. “Where’s Nichkhun?”

         “He’s studying in the library,” Hyunseung replied. “He finds it easier to concentrate there.”

         “Oh, is it because we’re being too bothersome?” Hyuna asked, a little embarrassed. She and Hyunseung were still admittedly in their puppy love phase. “Did I inadvertently kick him out of his own apartment?”

         Hyunseung laughed as he brought out her hot chocolate. Setting the cup down on the coffee table, he seated himself next to Hyuna. “No worries. I personally think he’s trying to find an excuse to hang out with Victoria.”

         Hyuna’s eyes widened. “Victoria does study at the library. That’s her preferred place of study.”

         As predicted, Victoria and Nichkhun turned out to be quite the dynamic duo. Not only did they work together surprisingly well during their group project, they’re set to have the two highest grades in class. The political science professor even asked the two to help out with his research.

         “They’re getting along quite well aren’t they?” Hyuna commented, raising her eyebrows and grinning. “Though they bicker like an old couple whenever I see them together.”

         “Maybe that’s just how they are,” Hyunseung shrugged. He put his arm around Hyuna’s shoulder and pulled her in for a kiss. “We’re more of the Romeo and Juliet type, and they’re more of the 10 Things I Hate About You type.”

         Hyuna laughed. “Did you just compare us to Romeo and Juliet? How are we at all like them?”

         “Hmm, let's see,” Hyunseung grinned. “We’re young, we fell in love at first sight, we brought two warring families together, and we would die for each other.

         “I’m guessing by warring families, you mean Victoria and Nichkhun?” Hyuna smirked.

         “You know it,” Hyunseung winked.

         “You’re absurd,” Hyuna laughed as she kissed Hyunseung on the cheek. “And I love it.”

         “I love you,” Hyunseung replied, looking right into Hyuna’s eyes.

         She stared right back, cheeks reddening. “I love you too.”

                                                            ::::::

NICHKHUN and VICTORIA

         At last, finals were over, and the Political Science Student Organization was hosting an after-finals-holiday party before everyone went home for winter break. Hyunseung, Hyuna, Victoria, and Nichkhun all arrived together, but they later separated as they mingled with other classmates.

         Nichkhun was talking to his Criminal Law classmate when Victoria tapped him on the shoulder.

         “I’m going to head outside, don’t feel too well,” she said briefly.

         “Oh, I’ll go with you,” he said standing up.

         “You don’t have to,” Victoria protested. “I just came over here to tell you in case Hyuna was looking.”

         “And she’ll chide me when she finds out I let you go outside alone when you’re not feeling well,” Nichkhun retorted. Turning back to his classmate, he excused himself. “Sorry, have to cut the conversation short. I’ll talk to you later.”

         Victoria looked apologetic. “I’m completely fine, Nichkhun. I can handle myself perfectly fine on my own.”

         “I know you’re fully capable,” Nichkhun gently put his hand on the small of her back. “You’ll just be lonely outside by yourself. That’s all I meant.”

         She opened to respond, but she thought better of it and headed outside to the front porch.

         They sat on a bench that gave them a nice view of the full moon. The music from the party was muted by the walls of the house.

         Victoria breathed in the fresh winter air. “That’s much better.”

         They both listened to the sound of crickets when Victoria said, “I bet your friend thought we were a couple by the way we were acting. Honestly, you were the first person I saw. That’s why I went over to talk to you.”

         Nichkhun was silent for a moment. An idea had been forming in his mind for the past few weeks, and this might be the best time to give voice to it. “Honestly, I wouldn’t mind having people mistake us as a couple.”

         Victoria turned to him in surprise. She was speechless.

         He leaned back on the bench and looked up at the moon. “I know we clashed before, and I know we just started being on friendly terms, but the truth is, I think you’re smart, kind, and passionate about what you do.”

         He met her eyes. “The truth is, I like you.”

         Nichkhun waited for Victoria to respond, his heart beating fast. He had taken the leap. Now it was for her to decide. She stayed silent for what seemed like an eternity. Nichkhun was about to apologize and retract his statement when Victoria spoke.

         “You’ve been honest with me, so I want to be honest with you as well,” Victoria began. “I think we’ve definitely gotten closer recently, and I’ve come to care about you. But whether I care about you only as a friend or as a romantic interest, I’m not sure.”

         Nichkhun had expected this type of response, but even so, he felt disappointed. “That’s fine, I just wanted you to know how I feel.”

         He used his left hand to tuck a loose hair behind her ear, placed his palm on her cheek, and smiled at her. “No matter what happens tonight, I want us to continue being friends.”

         Victoria leaned in to his hand and stared at him contemplatively. She then made up her mind. “If you’re okay with it, I think I know a way to help me figure it out.”

         It was his turn to look surprised. “What do you mean?”

         “I can kiss you and see how I feel,” she suggested. After a moment of silence, she quickly added, “But only if you’re okay with it. I definitely don’t want you to think I’m playing with your emotions. I mean, I might not like it, but I also—”

         “Okay.”

         Victoria blinked. “You sure?”

         Nichkhun smiled. “I’m a big boy now. I can handle my feelings.”

         If there was a possibility of her reciprocating his feelings, he’ll take the chance.

         “O-Okay,” Victoria nodded.

         They readjusted themselves so they were facing each other. Nichkhun felt his heartbeat quicken. It was as if his heart was ready to jump out of his throat.

         “Should I take the lead? Or do you want to?” Nichkhun asked after he finally decided to settle his hands on his knees.

         “I-I’ll do it,” she answered. “Close your eyes. I’ll have more courage that way.”

         He laughed nervously as he closed his eyes and leaned his face a little closer to hers.

         She observed his face. “I’ve never actually had to chance to really look at you before.”

         “Take a look at it later,” he said in a joking manner. “The anticipation is killing me.”

         She laughed, and before she lost her nerve, she placed her lips on his.

                                                            ::::::

TAECYEON and YOONA

         “Victoria and Nichkhun were kind of acting… differently towards each other tonight,” Yoona reflected. Taecyeon was driving Yoona back home after the Christmas party that Hyunseung and Hyuna hosted. It was the day before Christmas Eve, and since all six of them lived around the area, they decided to have a small get-together before spending time with their respective families for Christmas.

         “Yeah? How so?” Taecyeon feigned surprised.

         Yoona hit him on the arm. “Don’t pretend like you didn’t notice. In fact, you must have known this would happen a long time ago.”

         Taecyeon just smiled and said simply. “I did know.”

         “You’re such a spoilsport, Taecyeon,” Yoona crossed her arms.

         “I just want to know your perspective, that’s all,” Taecyeon reached out and tried to uncross her arms. He found her hand and held it in his. “What did you notice?”

         “While I was in the kitchen helping Hyuna and Hyunseung prepare the appetizers, I saw Nichkhun sit next to Victoria on the couch. There was plenty of room on the couch, but he chose to sit right next to her. Their knees were even touching!” Yoona described. “And then they exchanged clearly charged looks for a good five seconds before Victoria looked away. They didn’t even notice they were being watched!”

         “Seems like you saw something you weren’t supposed to see,” Taecyeon joked.

         “My face did get pretty red. Hyuna even asked me what was wrong,” Yoona smiled, remembering the encounter. “To be honest, even if you didn’t have the ability to see the future, you knew those two would get together one day. Even though they heads all the time, they’re actually pretty similar. Those two would make a great power couple.”

         “You have no idea,” Taecyeon smiled a secret smile.

         Yoona surveyed Taecyeon’s face for a bit. It’s only been a few weeks since Yoona found out about Taecyeon’s ability to see the future and ability to remember past reincarnations. At first, Yoona was skeptical, but the more she witnessed, the more she was convinced. There’s so much left to uncover about this guy. “I understand if you don’t want to tell me about the future, but you need to tell me all about our past lives, Taecyeon. You can’t keep all that information to yourself.”

         Taecyeon briefly looked over at Yoona before turning his attention back to the road. “It’ll take me a lifetime to relay everything I know.”

         Yoona smiled and rested her head on his shoulder. “Good, we’ve got a lifetime.”

                                                            :::::

            “Even though we fight and separate, one thing is true throughout the years, decades, centuries, millennia of our existence. We will always reunite. Our love is… everlasting.”

 


And... this is the final chapter! The ending wasn't originally set during Christmas time, but I figured I'd change a few things to keep up with the holiday spirit. Thanks to all of you who stuck to the end, and thanks to all the new readers who found my story later on! I hope you enjoyed the ride :)