Reunion (Part 1)

Suddenly Everlasting (Tawaran Trilogy, #3)

12/12/16

Estimated Time Period: Modern Times (2015AD)


           

            “Still, even with our ups and downs, we were fated to be together; a natural affinity for each other. And after every fight and separation, we become closer, realizing the importance of each other’s presence.”

                                                            :::::

HYUNA

            Hyuna rolled her eyes. She’s been listening to Victoria rant for the past hour about this guy she met at the race-car track over the summer. To sum it up, this mystery man was unlucky enough to arrive at the same time as Victoria at the track, and he was unwise enough to take up the offer to race with her.

            To his credit, he beat her every time (and Victoria was fine with that — so she says), but then he made the grievous mistake of approaching her after their third race, asking with a reportedly arrogant smirk, “Would you like me to let you win once?”

            That one-second sentence was the cause for this one-hour rant.

            “Did he think that just because I’m a girl, that I need some sort of crutch to win against a guy?!” Victoria vented for the twelfth time. “Who does he think he is?! Arrogant douchebag. And then afterwards, he said that he was just being nice. NICE! That’s not being nice. That’s being condescending! And I don’t take that kind of attitude.”

            Honestly, Hyuna felt sorry for the guy more than anything else. “I’m sure he had good intentions.”

            “Well, he didn’t show it. That’s for sure,” Victoria crossed her arms and checked her watch. Lunch had ended, and it was time for their political science class. “Whatever. I spent too much time talking about that bastard. I won’t ever see him again anyway.”

            It seemed like the universe was out to get her, though. A few minutes later, she saw ‘that bastard’ again. In their political science class. Hyuna was walking next to Victoria, surveying the classroom for open seats when Victoria stopped in her tracks. She looked at Victoria and followed her line of sight. Oh, that must be the guy. Yep, totally her type. No wonder she got worked up.

            Her gaze travelled to the person next to Victoria’s boy. Her heart fluttered. And he’s totally my type.

                                                            ::::::

TAECYEON

            Taecyeon sipped the last bit of his soda and set it down. “Victoria, why are you having lunch with me again?”

            “Can’t I have lunch with a fellow friend in peace?” she replied nonchalantly.

            “Of course,” Taecyeon replied, reclining back in his chair. “It’s just that you and Hyuna are usually two peas in a pod.”

            “Well, she’s in a pod with somebody else now.”

            “Ah, boyfriend?” Taecyeon’s eyes twinkled. “It was about time.”

            “You say that about everything,” Victoria rolled her eyes. “But why does she have to date the guy who is friends with that douchebag? I already have to see him in class. Don’t want to see him during lunch.”

            “So you’d rather listen to me rave about my soul mate? Wow, you must seriously hate that guy.” Taecyeon acted surprised. He grinned when Victoria rolled her eyes again.

            “But seriously though, has she finally arrived yet? Last time you talked about her, you said you had to wait a year.”

            “We’re going to meet really soon,” Taecyeon’s heart raced just thinking about it. “You’ll be able to meet her too.”

            Taecyeon had already told Victoria and Hyuna about his ability to see the future, and they’ve witnessed enough supernatural instances of Taecyeon’s precognition to believe him. Though, despite their poking and prodding, he never told them who their soul mates were. He felt it’d be fairer that way. Besides, they were going to find out soon enough.

            “I’m excited to finally meet her,” Victoria said happily.

            “Don’t say that I’ve been expecting her though,” Taecyeon pointed his finger at Victoria. “You’ll scare her off that way.”

            “And risk your wrath?” Victoria laughed. “Don’t worry. I’ll keep my mouth shut.

                                                            ::::::

NICHKHUN

            While hanging out at Hyunseung’s house playing Super Smash Bros, Nichkhun recounted the fateful day he met the force of nature that was Hyunseung’s girlfriend’s best friend.

            “And then, it was like an explosion!” he waved his hands while waiting for the next stage of the game to load. “She accused me of being a misogynist, called me an arrogant douchebag, and then threatened to hit me!”

            “Well, I can’t say that was your best pickup line,” Hyunseung smirked. “’Would you like me to let you win once’? Come on, you have to admit that does sound arrogant.”

            The next stage loaded up.

            “It wasn’t a pickup line,” Nichkhun stated for the umpteenth time as he maneuvered his character around the level. He didn’t even know how Hyunseung arrived to that improbable conclusion in the first place. “And honestly, I’m glad I said those words. Now I know exactly what kind of witch she is. Really. For the whole time before I tried to make a joke with her, I thought she was the quiet elegant type who seemed too good for you. And then out of nowhere…”

            He saw Hyunseung side-eye him. “Just, for me and Hyuna, try to be cordial with her?”

            “I’m not the one who’s showing animosity…”

            “Then, just don’t rouse her anger, okay?” Hyunseung pleaded. “Come on, you know this type. The independent woman of power who has a tendency to be overly politically correct. Don’t talk down to her, and she won’t bite."

            Hyunseung let out a cheer when he won the battle. Nichkhun tossed his controller on the table and sighed, leaning back on the sofa. “Sure, just for you and Hyuna.”

            “And who knows?” Hyunseung shrugged. “You might end up thinking she’s cute.”

            The doorbell rang before Nichkhun could give a response. “That must be Taecyeon!”

            He ran over to open the door. “Taecyeon! Long time no see!”

            “What’s up guys?” Taecyeon gave Nichkhun and Hyunseung a hug after he walked into the house. “Welcome to town! How do you like LA so far?”

            Hyunseung and Nichkhun had just transferred to UCLA, but they’ve known Taecyeon since high school.

            “Nothing much for now,” Nichkhun responded. “Transfer student orientation. Classes. Girls for Hyunseung.”

            Hyunseung grinned brightly. “Have you ever had that feeling that you found the one? I can’t seem to shake that feeling off. But it’s only been two weeks.”

            Taecyeon nodded. “Sometimes, you just know.”

            Nichkhun looked at the two of them incredulously. “Seriously? Love at first sight? Honestly, I don’t believe in that.”

            “That’s because it won’t happen to you,” Taecyeon said matter-of-factly. “You’re too stubborn.”

 


It's been over a year since my last update... Sorry! I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with this last time period - I had so many ideas for all of the characters, but I was hoping to incorporate them all into one chapter. Finally, I decided I've been delaying this post for long enough and made the decision to split this time period into separate chapters! I'm estimating about 2 more chapters after this :) Cheers and happy holidays~