Passion and Pain

Passion and Pain

                He cackled; crystalline tears trekked like lonely pilgrims down his cheeks. He sniffled; a giant grin stretching over the expanse of his face.  He fell to his knees, the pain in his heart ripping through his soul. He laughed, clutching at his quivering ribs. It was torture, but it was also bliss. It was confusion in certainty, clarity inside of useless untruths.

                And it was agony hidden behind love.

                He was caught in a whirlpool of uncontrolled emotions, spiraling down…

                                                                                                                                                                …down

                                                                                                                                                                                …down.

Until finally, he reached the point where all you can see is the tiny pinprick of light in the heavens above. That point where everything is confusion and despair but for that one quickly closing circle of hope rising through the raging waters. And that is where he always found the strength to swim back, to fight off the beckoning voices, the lurid whispers, the calls of;

Join us…it’s better here, we promise.

He looked up through the contorting blackness of his torrential emotions and prepared himself for the excruciating climb back to the surface.

“Chanyeol…”

He froze. That voice…the rich, sultry voice that he longed to hear, yet despised so vividly. That voice can’t be here. He can’t be here. But…then he called again, his melodious tones no more than a whisper.

“Chanyeol…”

He turned, slowly, methodically. One inch at a time he twisted his protesting body until he was facing the impossible, the one thing that he craved but could never have…the one thing that had been denied to him so cruelly.

His breath hitched as chocolate orbs glittering in the swirling blackness rose to meet his own. Above his head the light dimmed slightly.

“Baekhyun…” he croaked, taking an involuntary step forward. The petite man nodded, his delicate smile twitching at the corners of his lips…his beautiful, beautiful lips.

“It’s me, Yeollie.”

Chanyeol walked closer to him. Vibrant memories started to glow and spin through the deep waters that surrounded them. He reached a hesitant hand to touch him, to feel the fire one last time. But he couldn’t. His hand stopped inches away, hovering there with uncertainty. Baekhyun took a small step towards him, looking up into his face…searching for something.

“How have you been?”

Chanyeol shrugged, and dropped his hand refusing to take his gaze away from the vision of heaven before him. Maybe afraid that he will vanish…that he would leave him. Again.

“I’ve been…” he searched for the word to describe everything, but came up with nothing.

“I’ve been fine.” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes and walked over to the walls surrounding them. He touched one with a dainty hand, the black waters parting to reveal the moments that Chanyeol had locked away so fiercely. The giant flinched a bit, feeling the rush of times still raw surface. After a moment Baekhyun stepped back, his hand still dripping with the emotions of his friend’s memories.

He turned to face him, a pale blankness masking his features as he studied Chanyeol’s face for answers. Their gazes locked as a small understanding passed between them, Baekhyun looked away shamefully.

“I’m so sorry…this is my fault.”

                “No,” Chanyeol replied. “You couldn’t do anything.” Baekhyun sat suddenly, his shoulder slumped in defeat. After a moment he giggled and rubbed his face.

                “Three lies. You get three lies.”

 “Three lies until what?”

“Until I have to go...”

He raised his eyes to smile painfully at Chanyeol.

“And now you have two.”

Chanyeol’s heart tightened painfully. The light surrounding them dimmed a little more. Slowly he sat down on the dark sand across from the former singer. For a few seconds they sat in silence, listening to the waves of thoughts rush around them, spinning down until they crashed at their feet. Eventually Chanyeol scooted closer until their thighs were nearly brushing. Baekhyun smiled.

“You always were the one who made the first moves.”

Chanyeol chuckled, barely containing himself from groping at the tiny palms that now clasped together so painfully.

“I always liked that about you.”

“I know you did.”

Baekhyun smirked and glared playfully at him.

“Cocky much?”

“You like that too.”

The smaller man hummed in agreement and lay back to stare at the halo light circling above them, Chanyeol just stared in fascination at how the illumination made Baekhyun look almost ethereal.

“Do you remember that time, all those years ago? With the fireflies?”

Chanyeol nodded.

“I couldn’t believe that there was anything so beautiful.”

“Me either…” Yeol whispered, leaning closer. Baekhyun glanced at him.

“Flirt.”

“Like a boss.” he said flexing what remained of his muscles. Baek snorted and rolled away teasingly. Chanyeol couldn’t help his eyes from roaming the expanse of his gorgeously toned back. And he longed to it.

“What happened to you?”

He would have looked away if it wasn’t for the fear that his angel would take wing and fly, so he settled for scratching his neck awkwardly.

“Life happened I guess…” Baekhyun rolled back over to face him, huffing in irritation.

“That’s just stupid.”

“But you like stupid.” Baekhyun glared.

“I know everything Yeol. I know about the lost hours, the knives, the bottles….everything. I know about everything.”

He leaned closer.

“That’s not just life. That’s passion; passion and pain. Something that runs so deep that nothing can ever uproot it. Something that tears us down until the only thing we’re left with is an empty voice filled with our own hatred and fears.”

The torrent swirled faster, blowing Chanyeol’s ragged hair. He dropped his head, nearly dropping his gaze.

“You have one lie left.”

A tear trickled from Chanyeol’s eye and left from his face to join the rest of the whirlpool.

“Now tell me, what happened?”

 “You happened….you happened Baekhyun.” It was nearly black in the cavern that they sat in. Baekhyun crawled towards him, their faces nearly touching.

“Chanyeol…you have to go.”

Pain lanced through his heart. He couldn’t leave. Not again…he didn’t want the separation to tear his soul in two…to feel that empty pit full of joy and tears always dripping into his mind.

“But I have one more question first…

Chanyeol looked into his dear friend’s eyes, sensing the waters starting to close in on them.

“In those last moments, when you did everything you could to make me stay…why didn’t you tell me?”

“I…ah…” he sniffed. “I was afraid. Afraid of what it might do to you…”

Baekhyun placed a hand on either side of Chanyeol’s thighs, leaning in until he was forcing his larger counterpart to stretch back to avoid contact. The lashing air dragged at their hair, blowing it about their heads in crazy patterns.

“…afraid of what it might do to me…”

“Then say it now, before it’s too late. Tell me Park Chanyeol. Just tell me now.”

Soft breathing trickled across parted lips as he locked gazes with those exquisite chocolate orbs.

“I love you.” A sob caught in his throat. “See…see you soon.” The winds roared as the waters started to swirl back upwards, drawing the air towards that nearly invisible spec that allowed a single beam of light to bathe the two lovers. Baekhyun smirked, a sadness hiding behind his eyes.

“Time to go.”

The waves started to crash down around them, memories flooding their minds.

“No.” Baekhyun reeled back a bit.

“You can’t.”

“If this is the last time that I’m going to see you…then I’d rather have it end here than waiting in that storm.” Chanyeol moved closer until all he could see was Baekhyun’s warm, but hesitant gaze.

“Alright Chanyeollie…if that’s what you want.”

He nodded, his hand reaching up to cup the small head. Their eyes connected, their hearts entwined, and their lips collided. Chanyeol could feel Baekhyun’s long fingers his chest and running through his hair. He pressed their bodies closer, his own-much larger-hands running up and down the immaculate back and through the silky locks of that torturous soul that he loved so much but had only tried to erase from his mind.

The walls closed in as they sensed the waters rising to engulf them. Baekhyun pressed his forehead to Chanyeol’s and sighed. They stared into each other’s faces with passion and pain, as Baekhyun’s slender hands touched Chanyeol’s face.

“And that would be your third lie.”

The light faded, the emotions spun and roared to a crescendo and then collapsed in on themselves, leaving the waters above clear, dull…and lifeless.

 

“I love you…see you soon.”

 

 

 

 

_________

 

Hellooo everyone! My first oneshot, and first ship story. I know...I shoudl be working on my story *sobs* but I got this idea in my head (from Evenescence's My Immortal) and I just had to do it really quick. I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think!

P.S. If you have any questions just ask and I will respond with an answer. ^_^

Also if you liked this one, check out the story I should have been working one (sorry guys!) Killing an Angel!  Featuring Exo and Suho. ^_^ (No romance, sorry!) Anywho, thanks for checking this out! I hope that you enjoyed it!

Cheers!

Edit:

So I realized that I was a lot vague on some areas, so here's a quick rundown.

Chanyeol is depressed because Baekhyun died awhile ago, and in his pain he keep retreating into his mind. That manifests in a (kinda of literal) whirlpool of emotions and memories that he falls into and then climbs out of. Him falling into it is bascially him giving up on life, and the climb out is his decison to keep going. But, if he waits for too long his way out gets sealed off and he gets trapped in dispear and would essentially die.
Baekhyun at this point in time is talking to Chanyeol from the afterlife (or in his subconcious, whichever you prefer). The three lies is just a form of time limit they gave to him spend with Chanyeol. His three lies was that there was nothing that they could have done to help Baekhyun, that Chanyeol was just depressed aobut life and not the loss of Baekhyun, and that he would never see him again.

And yes, they do meet up again in the afterlife. ^_^