Chapter 1: Moving On

Wolf: The Unkown

 

                It was snowing. Luhan sat on the roof of his family’s small cottage. They lived up in the mountains above the bustling city. Sometimes, he just liked to sit out here and think sometimes. He wrapped the flannel blanket around himself more tightly now.

                “Hey,” he turned to the soft voice calling to him. He smiled. His brother’s dark eyes shined as he smiled. He crawled out onto the rooftop and snuggled right next to his younger brother. “You know, Luhan, you’re going to catch hypothermia one of these days, and then I’m going to laugh at you, because mom’s told you not to come out here in the rain or snow.” Luhan rolled his eyes.

                “I know, and I’ll deserve it. But it’s just so beautiful today. And it’s so peaceful up here.” Kris shrugged.

                “If you say so. It just seems depressing to me.” He said, eyeing the swirling snow that aimed at his face and bit at his nose. Luhan laughed.

                “Well, that’s just you. You can’t see the forest for the trees.” Now it was Kris’s turn to roll his eyes.

                “All a forest is is a bunch of trees.” He said. Luhan shook his head.

                “No, I mean you just look at the big picture. You don’t take care in the small details.” He said, laying his chin upon his knees. Kris put his arm around his brother’s shoulder.

                “Come on. Mom’s making supper. We need to set the table.” He got up and crawled back into the room, while Luhan took one last look at the serene beauty of the blanketed forest, and crawled in after him.

*****

                Their mother, Oh Hara stirred the stew as her sons set the table. Her smile faltered as she turned away from them. She was about to disrupt their happy lives here. But it couldn’t be helped. Her time had come. She felt a tug at her heart. ‘No, not yet. Not right now.’ She pleaded. The tugging stopped, and faded away. ‘For now,’ said the voice. ‘For now.’

                She turned to her boys. They were bickering over which side the spoon went on. Soon, they would have bigger matters to worry about. She smiled.

                “Boys, calm down. It’s just a spoon.” She took the spoons out of Luhan’s hands and spread them over the table in their respective spots. “There.”

                “But they’re not aligned,” Luhan whined. His mother ruffled his hair.

                “Everything doesn’t always have to be perfect. Sometimes, it’s the imperfections that make them so.” Kris stuck his tongue out at Luhan, who returned it, only for the both of them to be grabbed by their tongues and sat down at the table by their mother. “Sit, and eat. It’s dinnertime, not playtime.”

                “Yes, mother.” They said in unison. They ate their meal in silence. Once it was finished, Luhan washed the dishes as Kris cleared the table. Hara sat in her rocking chair near the window, watching the fat snowflakes gently fall from the sky and gather onto the windowsill.

                “Mother!” Luhan called. She turned and smiled at him.

                “Yes, dear?” she asked.

                “Can we go outside?” he asked, looking out the window with all the innocence of a newborn kitten. She smiled.

                “Well, it’s a bit too cold outside, you’ll catch hypothermia, you know.”

                “That’s what I said!” Kris called from the other room. His mother chuckled as Luhan grimaced.

                “No fair!” he turned to his mother. “Why don’t we ever get to go outside?” he asked. His mother smoothed his hair.

                “You’ll be able to one day, but right now is not the right time.” Luhan drew his legs up to his chest.

                “Okay.”

****

                That night, sleep did not come to Hara. Instead, as she lie in her bed, she felt a weight upon her chest. ‘So it is time, then.’ She could feel it, reverberating through her body. The feeling of being taken back. ‘I just wish I could have stayed a bit longer, just for them.’ As she felt herself letting go, a small knock came to the door.

                Hara desperately wanted to get up, to lock the door and to hide the truth from her son. He wouldn’t understand. He was too young, she hadn’t yet told him the truth. Luhan stepped into her room.

                “Mother?” he called, looking about. His eyes widened as she saw her, seemingly disappearing from view, glittering away as she was being taken back.

                ‘You can’t stay any longer,’ the voice softly whispered into her ear. ‘You must return to me, you made me a promise, the boys, for your life.’ Hara could do nothing but forlornly look upon her frightened son.

                “Kris! Mother!” he called, running to her side. Kris burst into the room. His eyes widened, and then his face calmed in understanding. He walked over to Luhan, and gently put his hand upon his shoulder. Tears ran down Luhan’s face. His mother gripped his hands and looked back at her sons for the last time.

                “I leave him to you, now Kris. Take care of Luhan, and beware the Tree-” her voice died down as she took her last breath. She turned to glittering dust, and faded away. All that was left, was her locket.

                Kris picked it up, and put it around his neck. He bent down and made Luhan face him.

                “What was she talking about, hyung? What tree? Where did she go?” Tears cascaded down his face as he looked around. “Where is Mother?” he asked, crying into his brother’s shoulder.

                “Gone. She won’t be back, Luhan. She’s moved on, and so shall we.”

END OF CHAPTER 1

*Note to subbies: Sorry it took so long, I've been pretty busy, and I wanted this to be perfect! I hope you enjoy it, and look forward to chapter 2!