Barely-Invisible String

I Can't Hear Your Voice

He walked back to his house as his mind thought about things that happened today. It was strange, he thought. Was it his ability that disappear or… anything else? He tried to calm his mind, maybe it was him who was a bit distracted so he couldn’t hear the voice.

“Jimin-ssi.”

A voice called him and he turned around only to find a girl standing with a smile. That girl again, he thought. “Hello,” he replied before stared at her eyes deeply. He just smirked when he read her. It was as usual, ‘Jimin Oppa looks extremely handsome today’ which made him chuckled before turned around again and left the girl. He didn’t lose his ability.

Arrived in front of his flat, he spotted un-familiar shoes. Then he remembered when he saw his cousin with a costumer, looked like they had known each other for years. Maybe he invited him along. So Jimin just go in to the apartment and spotted a guy, “Hey. You must be Taehyung’s guest.”

Then the guy turned around, made Jimin shocked but he managed to control his face. It was him, the guy in the café.  The guy just gave him a nod and small smile, “Yes, I am.”

Jimin looked at the guy deeply, put all the concentration that he had to read him. But still. He couldn’t do anything. ‘Who is this person? Why I can’t hear his voice,’ he thought. Then he saw the guy smiled as he introduced himself, “I am Jeon Jeongguk.”

 “I am Park Jimin.”

Then he looked at Jeongguk deeply. And again, he couldn’t hear anything. No, it couldn’t be him, he thought. For all this year, since he received that, he thought that it would be an old lady, or someone else but a little kid.

‘I must be crazy.’

 

 

“Good morning,” Jimin greeted Taehyung and Jeongguk who were eating their breakfast on the next day. He took an instant-porridge from the cabinet and made the food as he joined the other two in dining table. Unlike Taehyung and Jeongguk who were chatting during the breakfast, Jimin was a silent one, he didn’t talk at all. No, it wasn’t like Jimin didn’t feel comfortable with Jeongguk, he was fine. Taehyung explained all the things to him last night. He just wasn’t a talking-type. When he was done, he washed the dishes and took his bag. “I am heading to the café now.”

After he left, Jeongguk just looked at Jimin’s gaze that slowly disappeared. He was still curious about who Jimin was, because every time he heard him, he always felt something strange. Jeongguk tried to hear him during the break-fast, but it looked like the older blocked his mind.

“He is always like that. He doesn’t talk much,” Taehyung said all of sudden. “So don’t feel hurt.”

Jeongguk just nodded as he continued eating his food. Oh, what should he do today? He couldn’t go out as free as before since he knew that people were searching for him. And if he got caught, he would be trapped again. “Hyung, what are you doing today?”

“I am going to go to Hoseok Hyung’s place.”

“Ah I see,” Jeongguk replied. He didn’t want to disturb the lovers’ time. “There is a public-library near the building, right? I think I will just go there.”

When he was done with all the breakfast, he put on his shoes and went to the public-library. Taehyung told him earlier the way to the library, which was very close from the building. In the library, there were no many people. Of course, this was still summer-break, after all. Who wanted to visit library and study in the middle of summer-break?

He bowed to the librarian and asked her where the sci-fi section was. He sat on a chair for and started to read a quiet famous book before he got bored after few hours. Jeongguk looked around, and there were many college-like-students reading books in the section. He threw his sight to read a boy that wore a jacket who was staring on his phone. That boy was excusing himself from the date with his girlfriend since his girlfriend was nagging a lot to him. It made Jeongguk chuckled. Why did someone date someone that they wouldn’t feel comfortable with in the future, he thought.

All of sudden, he felt something weird on his little finger. What kind of feeling was this? He looked at his little finger and he could see a barely invisible string tied on his little finger. Jeongguk just stared on the invisible things in weird way. This was finally the time to found that person. Someone who was willingly to got his back no matter happened.

“Hey, Jeo—Uh, sorry, who was your name again? I forget.”

Before Jeongguk could process the thought that he had earlier, a voice snapped him. A figure of a boy standing in front of him and holding a thick sci-fi novel.

“Jeon Jeongguk.”

“Oh, yes, Jeongguk,” he said as he took a seat beside Jeongguk, “Don’t know that you are going to spend your day here. I am sorry if I am a bit quiet, I don’t usually talk much.”

Jeongguk glanced on his little finger once again but now he found nothing on it. Then he looked at Jimin who was reading his book. He needed to hear him. ‘I still can’t hear his voice. Please don’t tell me that he is the one that Noona said,’ he recalled what was on Jimin’s mind. And it made him confuse, what happened to Jimin? Did it have something to do with… him?

“Do you want to go home now?” Jimin suddenly asked when both of them were reading in silent. He closed the book and prepared to leave.

“Sure. A company won’t hurt, right,” he said as he closed the book and put it on the book shelf.

Both of them were walking together. Summer’s evening wasn’t that hot today, it gave both of them a warm feel. Jimin was walking slightly ahead from Jeongguk with his hand in the pocket. In the back, Jeongguk was walking while staring on his hand. Did he just see it right few minutes ago?

Suddenly Jimin stopped his step and turn around, “You looks like my servant or something. Don’t walk behind me; it makes me feel uncomfortable indeed.” The younger just obeyed as he came closer to Jimin. Then both of them walked beside each other. Jimin decided to open a conversation, “So tell me more about yourself. I have right to know, right, since you are living in my house? But you don’t have to if you feel uncomfortable.”

“I’ve been living in the orphanage since I could remember,” Jeongguk began to told him the story, “It was the same orphanage as Taehyung Hyung used to be in. But few days ago, a contractor destroyed the orphanage since they wanted to build a top-classed apartment. They transferred us to another orphanage, but I refused to since I wanted to look for something important. And know, government’s people were looking for me, they needed to get me in to the other orphanage.”

“Oh, I see. You must hate that place so much, huh?”

“Not really. It just, I tend to feel lonely there.”

Jimin nodded as he pressed the floor number on the lift. “Feel free to stay in place until you are legal to live alone, then.”

When they were arrived, both of them got in to their room. Jimin was staring on the mirror. He felt confuse, why couldn’t he hear Jeongguk’s voice? He tried to hear another today but why could he hear everyone but him?

Meanwhile, Jeongguk was still staring on his little finger. He knew that running away from the orphanage was a right choice. Finally, the string was there. After years of waiting, finally he would be able to find that someone.

Lots of things would happen, and what I’ve been waiting for was coming closer to me. 

 


So Sorry that it took me such a long time to update T_T I was thinking about an un-awkward chapter so i re-wrote this chapter few times