When they were in L.A. [a one-shot from Tomoki one-shot series]

When they were in L.A. [a one-shot from Tomoki one-shot series]

This special is dedicated to Akanishi Jin, as it is his birthday today (it is 4th of July in Japan), Tanjoubi omedetou! Happy 27th !, I really wish he would go back to KAT-TUN but I’d respect his decisions (:.

I hope this one-shot is not too confusing as I tried to incorporate English and Japanese… let me know if there’s any part that’s too confusing, thank you (: !

Title: When they were in L.A. 

“Are you excited, Tomoki?” Maki asked as she held her little son’s hand with one hand, and pulled their luggage with the other.

Tomoki nodded animatedly as he turned to look at his mother, “Okaasan (mother), what does Los Angeles look like?” Then he immediately cupped his mouth, realizing he had said the wrong words in public.

“It’s okay Tomoki, no one heard us, but remember, you have to call me Oba-chan (auntie) in public, ok?” Maki said, as she remove the hand that was cupping Tomoki’s mouth.

“Gomen… (Sorry)” Tomoki replied as he bit on his lips and looked up at her.

Maki smiled at her son, and pat his head, sometimes she was really amazed at how mature her 6-years-old son could be.

Soon, they arrived at the check in counter, and despite their disguise, they were recognized by their names on their passport – and for Tomoki, his surname had been registered as “Hara” – following his mum’s.

“Ahh.. Maki-chan! Is this your relative?” asked the staff at the counter.

Maki nodded politely and replied that he is a son of a close relative, but refused to disclose too much.  After all, she has always been known to be a more private person.

“Ah, I see, Ano.. (Erm..), is it okay for an autograph?” The staff requested.

Maki nodded again and took the pen and paper over from the staff and signed her name neatly as Tomoki look on. It wasn’t the first time someone had asked his mum for an autograph and he had learnt from Toma, that both of them were celebrities and it was common to be recognized in public.

After checking in, they had to wait for a while more before they could board the plane and Tomoki complained of hunger so Maki brought him to a traditional Japanese restaurant in the airport.

“Ne, … erm.. obachan, you haven’t told me how Los Angeles look like…”

Maki took over the menu from the waitress before turning to her son, smiling, “Actually I do not know, Tomoki, I have never been there too..”

Tomoki stared in surprise at Maki, as she opened a menu for him to read, “Uh? Then why are we going there? Why don’t we go to somewhere you have been before?”

“Well, I have been curious about the place since young, since it is called City of the Angels and it does sound like a beautiful place, doesn’t it, Tomoki?” Maki looked at her son and smiled as she opened her own menu too.

“Ok now, Tomoki, it’s eating time, didn’t you say you were hungry so take a look at the menu and let me know what you would like to eat…. It might be hard to get authentic Japanese food over there.” Maki said as she buried herself in the menu, unable to decide what to order herself. She loves Japanese food, and the thought of not being able to eat authentic Japanese food for a week saddens her, although she was excited at the prospect of exploring a new place.

Tomoki copied his mother and propped his menu up to look at it properly too, but in his case, he looked more at the pictures then at the words.

-

Jin was certain he had heard a very familiar voice mentioned a very familiar place.

But he couldn’t put a finger to it.

Curious, he lowered his menu and look around cautiously. He was already  in full-fledged disguise but he was still afraid to be found out.

He didn’t see any suspicious being who might be whom he had heard but he spotted two very suspicious looking menu, propped up straight on the table, sitting right across from him.

He looked down at their legs, and deduce that it was an adult and a child, but who…

He continued staring as the adult put her menu down to reveal who it was.

“Horikita-san?”

Although Jin was a good friend of Yamapi but he had not worked with Maki before, and it was a long time since they had seen each other too hence they were on rather polite terms.

“Uh! …… you are?” When he called her, Maki found him or rather, his attire rather familiar looking but then realized that she does not recognize him.

Jin moved over to sit beside her and typed the answer on his phone before flashing the screen to her.

“Ahh.. Bakanishi?” This caused Jin to stare at her in shock. She gasped as she realized what she had just said, Yamapi must have been rubbing on her a little too much.

“It’s okay, I forgive you,” Jin said before she even showed any signs of being sorry.

“My disguise is good, isn’t it? Even you couldn’t recognize me.” Jin continued as he laughed to himself.

Maki frowned as she scrutinized the disguise, “This disguise, it looks awfully familiar, like I saw it somewhere else before? Have I met you wearing this disguise before, Akanshi-san?”

Jin shook his head as he chuckled, “Well… I sort of … borrowed it from someone close to you, you see.”

“AH! Kurosagi’s disguises!” Maki exclaimed, her eyes gleaming with recognition.

“That’s right, since Yamapi’s Kurosagi disguises collection was collecting dust anyway.. He is so lucky to be given the disguises after the show finished but he doesn’t know how to use them so I am helping him here!” Jin explained proudly.

“I see..” Maki replied, half amused, “Oh by the way, Akanishi-san, what are you doing at the airport?”

“Me? I am going abroad.. how about you?” Jin asked her back.

“Me too, I am going to Los Angeles, with Tomoki, you have seen him at the Christmas party last year right? I thought since he was going to start government school already next year, this would be the best time to go overseas. “ Maki explained.

“Majide? (Really – casual) I am going there too! I wonder if we are on the same flight? ” Jin responded excitedly as he showed her his flight ticket.

“Ah, hontou ni (really, honestly) ? Ah, it is the same flight! Oh yes, you went there before right? For a solo debut, I almost forgot about it … How was Los Angeles?”

“Ano… Oba..obachan… who is this weird looking fellow here?” Tomoki could not help being curious and ignored by his mum that he pulled on his mother’s clothes to ask about the ‘weird-looking fellow’.

“Ah, Tomoki, this is… “ She racked her brains, trying to decide what her son could call him.

“Jin oniichan… don’t you recognize me, Tomoki!... I am one of your father’s best friends” Jin hissed softly at Tomoki.

Tomoki shook his head as he stared intently at him, trying to recognize him.

“It’s okay, he can take off his disguise when his reach Los Angeles and then you will recognize him then.” Maki laughed as she turned to her son.

After all 3 of them finished their meals, it was time to board their plane… but unknown to them, someone was following them.

“Yamapi!” Quick! Come to the airport! Your wife is eloping with a strange guy! Hurry up!”

“Eh? Toma, what are you up? Maki already told me she was going overseas for a week with Tomoki…” Yamapi said to the person on the other end of the phone.

“But! There’s a strange looking guy with them right now! And in all the years I have known Maki, I have not seen him before, I am sure she’s going to elope without you noticing!” Toma reasoned.

“Don’t be crazy Toma, Maki wouldn’t leave her career and her family behind!” And with that, Yamapi hanged up.

“Oi! Pi!!” Toma screamed into the phone, only to receive a blank beep.

“That stupid Pi, I guess I will have to stop Maki myself… luckily I bought tickets on the same flight as hers…”

 

[Flashback]

 

“Where are there so many brochures, Horikittie?” Toma asked as he looked at the ground full of brochures, and he had to step carefully to navigate around them, with a bowl of hot soup on his hand.

 

“Well, I am thinking of an overseas travel before Tomoki start elementary school next year..” Maki explained, as she threw the brochure she had in hand on the ground and picked up another.

 

“I see… what countries do you have in mind?” Toma said as he settled down on an empty seat with the bowl of soup.

 

“Hmm, I am thinking out of Asia.. I haven’t really been out of Asia.” Maki replied, as she scanned the brochure she had on hand before throwing it on the ground to join the rest of the brochures.

 

“Let me know where you decide to go okay, I can help with booking the tickets, I have discounts.” Toma offered, on the pretense of kindness, when in fact, he was thinking of helping his best friend on a special mission.

 

He needs to protect Maki and Tomoki for Yamapi…. It was too dangerous for the two of them to be alone in a foreign country, he thought.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

“Too dangerous… even before they leave the country! Luckily I bought an extra ticket!” Toma muttered to himself as he sat a few rows behind Maki and her son.

And he watched as the strange looking fellow asked to swopped seat with the girl sitting next to Maki.

“That … third party… how dare he!.. I need to snap a photo of this, or Yamapi won’t believe me…” Toma muttered to himself again as he took out his camera to snap a photo of them, after switching off the ‘flash’.

Afterwards, there was no more movement from them and he could only sit and wait patiently. But the thing was, he couldn’t exactly sit still and the flight attendants had to keep asking him if anything was wrong and some who recognized him asked him for a signature, in which he signed for them a weird circle shape, as he was feeling too impatient to even sign a signature properly.

The four of them (Maki, Tomoki, Jin and Toma) soon arrived on the grounds of Los Angeles, in which Toma soon found himself having a huge problem.

He barely knew how to speak any English and as he followed on the trail of the trio, he found the strange looking fellow to be fluent in English-speaking.

He followed Maki as they parted way with the strange looking fellow to go to their hotels then followed them as they met up with …. Someone else at the amusement park.

 

Akanishi Jin!

 

Toma shouted in his mind as he spotted him, wait – did that strange looking fellow know Jin?

 

Jin brought the tickets for the them at the amusement park as they went in and Toma, had to struggle to buy a ticket for himself at the counter, “Watashi..“, he said, pointing to himself, “Chiketto (ticket)” then he raised one finger.

 

“What? One?” The man at the counter asked.

 

Toma spotted a ticket on a person’s hand then he grabbed it and pointed at it to the ticketing man, as he point at himself and signaled a ‘one’.

 

“Hey! Return me my ticket!” The person shouted as the ticketing man shook his head and laughed, saying “Ah, so you want one ticket for yourself… Here you go.”

 

The ticketing man handed him a ticket and Toma threw the ticket he grabbed on the floor.

 

“What a rude man!” The person whose ticket was snatched said as he watched Toma run into the amusement park.

 

After a long search, Toma finally found Jin, Maki and Tomoki but when he found them, Jin had a hand on Maki’s waist and Toma’s jaws dropped…

 

-

While Toma was gone…

Maki, Tomoki was busy exploring the place as Jin introduced them around.

Jin bought a cotton candy for Tomoki and it made him really happy.

Tomoki then spotted an elephant ride and he dragged Jin on along with him, forgetting about his mother, who could only shake her head and laughed at her son, he was indeed; still a child after all.

But when they returned, they saw a guy trying to approach Maki – she was after all, still rather pretty and young, even though she had given birth before.

“Hey! What are you doing!” Jin shouted in English as he approached the guy.

“Why? Is it any of your business?” The guy shouted back.

“Yes! She is MY GIRL, so stop touching her.” Jin retorted in English as he glared at the guy and sling a hand on Maki’s waist, guiding her away from the guy, towards Tomoki.

With his free hand, Jin gestured for Tomoki to hold on to his mother as they walked on for a distance.

Meanwhile, Toma was still in a shock as he watched the three of them walked like this into a shop selling hotdogs.

“Erm… Akanishi-san…” Maki said, as she looked at the hand on her waist.

“Ah.. .sorry, I forgot … “ Jin said as he withdrew his hand, “Want some hotdogs, Tomoki?” Jin asked as he bent down to pat the little boy’s head.

Tomoki nodded as they sat down in the shop.

Toma peeked in from outside and saw Jin helping Tomoki wiped his dirty mouth and how they really look like a happy family…

“OH no, Yamapi’s in trouble!” Toma thought and said out loud as he instinctively took out his phone to dial his best friend.

Unfortunately, the call did not get through, “Ack, I think Yamapi is using his regular phone, the one with International calling must be switched off… now what…”

“Okay, since I can’t call Pi, this mission is entirely on me, I will bring evidence back to Pi, for him to confront Jin, yes, that’s right.” And with his new resolve, he took out his camera and continued shooting.

The trio in the hotdog shop prepared to leave, and Toma was hot on their trail as they walked around, and he took every chance to take a photo.

When Jin grabbed Maki’s shoulder to pull her in from a running crowd of teenager, when Jin pat Tomoki’s forehead, when Jin put on a bracelet on Maki’s hand….. “wait? What?” Toma thought to himself.

Jin looked at the bracelet on Maki’s hand, “hmm… I think I need a smaller hand, this is for Yuu’s sister, she is like a daughter to me, you know? “

Maki smiled, “Ah, I understand, Toma always treated Tomoki like his own son, ah, maybe you can use Tomoki’s hand? Or would it be too small?”

“Maybe two sizes smaller than yours would be good, your wrist is rather small already.” Jin replied.

Unable to hear what they were saying since Toma was afraid of being too close… he could only continue taking pictures as he watched them buying things, going on more rides, and eating.

And he felt his own stomach growling… but he decided, for the sake of Yamapi, this was more important, as he went back to watching them going into an accessories shop.

“Ahh, horoscope chains…do you believe in horoscopes, Akanishi- san?” Maki asked, as she took up an Aries chain.

“Sometimes… wait, isn’t Aries Yamapi’s sign?” Jin asked as he looked at the chain she was holding.

Maki blushed and nodded shyly, “I was thinking of buying one for him.. what’s your sign, Akanishi-san?”

“My sign? I’m a Cancer..” Jin said as he smiled, holding up a Cancer sign chain.

“A Cancer… ahh is your birthday coming soon?” Maki asked as she took up another Cancer chain and look at the date range.

“Actually.. it’s today according to our calendars.. I am here on a birthday trip.” He explained.

“Ahh.. it’s your birthday today? I am so sorry, we are like asking you to be our tour guide on your birthday… “ Maki say, bowing deeply.

“It’s okay, Ma- ah, is it okay if I call you Maki-chan?” Jin asked as he tried to stop her from bowing.

“Hai (yes), it’s okay… ahh, if you don’t have any plans for today, is it okay if we celebrate your birthday with you?” Maki replied as she went back to her standing posture.

“Yes, it will be good, thank you… as it is only 4 of July here tomorrow so I will only be celebrating with my friends tomorrow… “ Jin replied, in gratitude.

Toma watched as the trio trooped out of the amusement park and into a fine restaurant as he went in after them.

He watched as they made their order and a waitress came up to him, “Excuse me Sir, would you like to order?”

Toma looked at the waitress then point at the trio and said “Same.”

The waitress nodded and went her way.

The waitress came back with two birthday cakes, one for Jin’s table and then she delivered the other to Toma, who looked at it, puzzled. Then he saw the cake on Jin’s table and he understood.

“Happy birthday to you… happy birthday to… ah…” Maki paused while Tomoki continued “Jin-oniichan!”, “Happy birthday to you … Tanjoubi Omedeto!” Maki and Tomoki sang and clapped as Jin clapped along.

He rubbed Tomoki’s head happily after they finished singing before cutting a cake for Tomoki… and Toma was already snapping away……

-

“Thank you so much for today, Maki-chan and Tomoki, I enjoyed it, it will be a really memorable birthday.” Jin said, bowing to the two of them at the entrance of the restaurant.

 

“You’re welcomed, it was nice to have a tour guide around here… we had fun too, didn’t we, Tomoki?” Maki replied, as she turned to her son.

 

Tomoki nodded excitedly as he pulled on Jin’s hand, making Jin bent down to his level.

 

Tomoki leaned forward to kiss Jin on the forehead, “Birthday Kiss, Jin oniichan, thank you for today too.” And he smiled broadly at the man in front of him.

 

All this did not fail to be captured on camera by Toma, who was now being pestered by the waitress to pay his bills.

 

“Ano… kaado?” Toma asked as he turned his glance from outside the door to inside and outside again, fearing he would lose sight of Maki..

 

He had used a Visa card to pay at the amusement park and was wondering if it was acceptable here but the waitress shook her head.

 

Uh, oh, he thought to himself….

 

He didn’t have any Los Angeles money on himself and he was wondering what he could do..

 

“Ja.. Ja-Japan.. … money?” He tried again.

 

The waitress shook her head again as she frowned at him.

 

Now he had no choice…. He took out his phone and dialed a number he did not wish to call…

 

“Hello?... Toma? What? You are at Los Angeles too? Okay okay.. Now, repeat after me and just tell the waitress what I say… ‘My friend will be coming with the money, is it okay if you wait awhile? Thank you.’ ..  did you get what I said? No, it is ‘coming with the money..’ yes… “ Jin directed the man over the phone, on what to do as he walked back in the direction he had came from.

 

 

 

“Toma! What are you doing here too? And didn’t you bring any Los Angeles cash?” Jin asked as the two of them walked out  of the restaurant to the direction of Jin’s hotel, “And how could you not book a hotel too?”

 

“Err.. it’s a long story Jin, you can just say I was being playful and adventurous…” Toma replied, trying to avoid Jin’s eyes. Luckily, he did not find anything suspicious.

 

“Does Maki know you are here? Since you’re so close to Tomoki, you three could go out and play together!” Jin suggested.

 

“NO!” Toma replied, a little too quick and fierce. “Ah, I mean, I don’t want to let too many people know I am here…”

 

“Did you saw us just now? That’s why you called me?” Jin asked, a little shocked at the guy’s response.

 

Toma nodded as he looked elsewhere, “Erm, let’s just go back to your hotel first, when I book my ticket, I will be flying back to Japan right away.”

 

 Jin nodded as he found Toma’s actions rather weird but couldn’t bring himself to ask him what it was, since it seems like he did not want to share either.

-

It was evening when Toma returned to Japan and as he took a nap on the plane, he wasn’t really that sleepy – although he had a ear block because of that, hence he went straight to where he knew Yamapi would be, at his apartment.

 

Hearing the relentless knocking on his front door, Yamapi got up from his position in front of the television unwillingly and peeked out at the peephole, annoyed that his best friend was the one who broke his concentration.

 

“What is it again, Toma?” Yamapi asked, irritated, as he closed his door and went back to sitting in front of the television.

 

“Look, Pi! You didn’t believe me when I say I saw Maki eloping with a mysterious guy but look here, I took photos as evidence of Maki and JIN! Now, you should believe me enough to fly to Los Angeles yourself to stop them! You know how Jin is like, and it’s not like you didn’t know that they used to have a crush on each other!”

 

Yamapi laughed, “Toma, are you crazy, and are you aware of how far Los Angeles is from Japan, I didn’t take any leave for this period of time so how can I leave?  And what were you doing in Los Angeles? Plus, I trust Maki and Jin enough not to interfere with their friendship... I am sure Jin is a trustworthy friend, and he will know not to touch my girl and my son.”

 

“No wait, Yamapi, look at my photos first before you say anything”, and he showed the photos to Yamapi, as he continued laughing each photo off, like it meant nothing to him.

 

After looking at all the photos, Yamapi laughed at Toma again, saying how he wasted his time flying to Los Angeles, as he had Jin to protect his family.. then he realized something and asked Toma to go back to the strange fellow’s photo.

 

“Isn’t that…” Yamapi started as he walked over to a closet in his hall.

 

“Hey, why is 4 of my disguises missing?” He asked out loud, as he looked through his diguises, which were given to him after he finished his Kurosagi’s filming, “Akanishi Jin! I am going to murder you!”

 

Toma chuckled to himself at the side and wondered if Yamapi is really angry at Jin borrowing the disguises without permission or at the photos of Jin, Maki and Tomoki.

 

After all, it wasn’t the first time; Jin had “borrowed” his disguises. And Yamapi knew it all the time.

 

 

~THANK YOU FOR READING~

~MAIDO ARI~ (tribute to Kurosagi since I mentioned it in here)

 

And for today’s special, an actor & writer’s conference…

 

Toma: *sigh * what is this? How could I just fly to L.A. and go all the way back to Japan without doing anything…what a waste of money…

 

Writer: Well, it showed how much you value your friendships…

 

Yamapi: Yeah… unlike a certain someone *glares at Jin *

 

Jin: Hey, wait, I really didn’t do anything…

 

Yamapi: Yeah? And what was with that shoulder, waist and wrist touch huh? And do you dare to admit that you had and still have a crush on Maki?

 

(Writer squeals~~ Ahh, I believed Jin & Maki used to have a crush on each other but Yamaki wins hands down)

 

Jin: Uhh, but does it matter Pi, you two already have a child! Can I even beat that? Can’t you tell it’s you she loves? You jealous freak.

 

Maki: Hey, wait, what shoulder, waist and wrist touch? Did you stalk me to L.A., YAMAA TOMOHISA?

 

*Toma slings away *

 

Yamapi: *scoffed * It was IKUTA TOMA, so don’t scold the wrong person here okay…

 

Maki turned to stare at Toma who was trying to escape.

 

Maki: I will forgive you since it’s Jin’s birthday… ahh, that reminds me, I have yet to give him a birthday kiss!

 

Yamapi: JIN??? Since when did you call him so informally? And who said you can give him a birthday kiss?

 

Yamapi glares at Maki.

 

Maki glares back.

 

Maki: I said so! JIN! Come here!

 

Jin: Cut it out you two! Don’t drag me into your lover’s squabble… it’s my birthday you know, give me a break, would you?

 

Kame: Yea…. Give it all a break would you, poor Tomoki is being ignored because of you all…

 

Jin: Kame? When did you come?

 

Tomoki: I asked him to bring me here plus he said…

 

Kame: I said what would a birthday celebration for Jin be without me? 

 

T-TUN of KAT-TUN: AND US!! 

 

Writer: AHH! AKAKAME and KAT-TUN <3! Wait… let’s give someone a special surprise too … *pulls Massu out* ( I know Massu has not been appearing in my story but he’s still someone related to Pi… so who knows I might *cough* gives him a special appearance one day~~ but anyway, today is his birthday too!)

 

All: Happy birthday Jin and Massu! * throws confetti and pops party poppers and a birthday party banner is revealed* Many happy returns!

 

P.S. Please note that I do not support … but Akakame, Tomapi & TomaShun are exceptions :D 

 

A/N: Sorry if this one-shot seems so Tomaki & JinMaki biased...... but Yamaki's still beats them all even though I might seems to favour the other two more in this one-shot. Well, it's just that Tomaki & JinMaki are a little too cute to let go too.... and I am sorry for being more biased towards Jin than Massu too... I sincerely wish both of them a happy birthday :D (p.s. also to Gackt and Doojoon too, although I barely know about them~~ But Gackt is really good at acting!) Hope you all had somewhat enjoyed this draggy chapter........ thank you for reading, I appreciate it (: Readers make me happy! *hugs all* 

 

*throws more confetti around for the continuation of the birthday party celebration* !! ~