Terminal Illness

Terminal Illness

"Nana, wake up." Said Lizzy, opening the curtains.

The figure in the bed moved slightly, then groaned. "Five more minutes.. Please.."

"You have to get up for breakfast though. We can go to the park today if you like, they said it was okay for me to take you." Lizzy said.

Nana sat up quickly and beamed at Lizzy. "I love going out!" She squealed.

So when Nana was dressed, had eaten breakfast and taken her medication her and Lizzy left the hospital. The sky was clear, it was a beautiful summer's day. The girl in the wheelchair could not stop smiling which made Lizzy smile too.

"When was the last time you were allowed out?" Lizzy asked. "I don't remember.."

"Uhhm.. Last spring.. I got worse, so they didn't let me out for a while.." Nana mumbled.

"You didn't miss much outside, don't worry. We just planted a few more trees and made a pretty flower garden. The park is still the same as last time we went. We can play on the swings again if you like." Said Lizzy.

Nana nodded. "I like the swings."

The two spent the afternoon at the park enjoying each other's company. They played on the swings, had ice cream, watched the birds and finally they returned to the hospital at 6pm for dinner.

"This has been one of the best days ever Lizzy~" Said Nana as Lizzy was helping her into bed.

Lizzy smiled. "I'll ask if we can do this more often. Being outside is good for you."

"That would be nice." Nana said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Sleep well Nana. If you need me just call me." Lizzy said, kissing Nana's forehead.

 

The next day, Nana woke up before Lizzy came to get her. She sat up and looked around. This was the room she'd been living in for the past two years. In those two years, her parents had died and she'd lost all contact with her friends and remaining family. All she had was Lizzy. Secretly Nana had feelings for the younger girl but never told her. She was scared if she did Lizzy would become attached and be sad when she was gone. Nana knew her time here was limited so she hid her feelings. The door opened and Lizzy came in.

"Good morning Nana." She said. "How long have you been awake for?"

"About ten minutes." Nana said.

Lizzy dressed Nana and helped her into the wheelchair then took her for breakfast.

"They said I'm allowed to take you out again. Today we're going somewhere I used to spend a lot of time at when I was studying to become a doctor. It helped me focus because it was so peaceful. I think you will enjoy it, the view is spectacular." Lizzy said.

So after eating, they got in Lizzy's car and drove into the countryside to a field on a hill.

"I don't know if my wheelchair will get across the grass." Said Nana. "But it's okay, I'll walk."

"Are you sure you're strong enough to do it?" Lizzy asked.

Nana nodded. "If you help me I can do it."

So with Lizzy's help Nana walked across the grass and they sat at the top of the hill together. They could see the busy city where they had driven from, the view was breathtaking.

"So do you like it?" Lizzy asked.

"It's wonderful." Nana said, smiling. "Can we stay here all day?"

Lizzy nodded. "We can have a picnic."

The two spent the entire day sat on top of the hill, laughing and talking and eating, they watched the sun set together then Lizzy decided they should go back. Nana was feeling a bit weak, but she didn't tell Lizzy. They reached the hospital, ate dinner then went to Nana's room. By now, Nana was feeling awful, but still she didn't tell Lizzy. She could see how happy her friend was and didn't want to upset her.

"Do you want to go out somewhere tomorrow too?" Lizzy asked.

"Yes. That would be nice." Nana said as Lizzy helped her to the bed. Just as Lizzy was leaving, Nana stopped her.

"What is it?" Lizzy asked, looking over at Nana.

"Come here." Said Nana. Lizzy walked over to her and Nana hugged her tightly.

"Are you okay..?" Lizzy asked as she heard a small sniffle.

Nana nodded slowly. "I'm.. I'm just so happy I met you.."

Lizzy smiled slightly and wiped Nana's tears away. "I'm glad I met you too Nana. I hope we can be friends for a long time."

Nana watched as Lizzy left, then she lay down on the bed and stared at the ceiling. That was when Nana knew that her time was up. She was just glad she'd spent the past two years with the girl she loved.

 

Ring.. Ring...

Lizzy sat up and answered her phone.

"Hello?"

"It's about your patient Nana." Said the voice.

"What's happened? Is she okay?" Lizzy asked, feeling worried.

"She's struggling to breathe, she wants to see you." Then the person hung up.

Lizzy got up and ran through the corridors to the emergency room to find Nana lying on a hospital bed.

"L.. Lizzy.." She gasped for air.

"It's okay Nana.. I'm here.." Lizzy said, holding her hand. She tried her best to hold in her tears.

"Lizzy.. I'm dying.." She whispered. "But.. There's something I want you to know.."

"What is it, Nana?" Lizzy asked, feeling tears roll down her cheeks.

"I.. I love you.." Nana said, then she closed her eyes and she was no longer there.

"Nana.. Nana speak to me.. Please.." Lizzy sobbed.

"..She's gone.." Said a nearby doctor, then everyone left Lizzy alone with Nana.

"Nana.. I love you too.." Lizzy whispered.