Connected

ROOTS

Rabi sat in her living room, back home in America. Her eyes were red and puffy, they had been that way for the past week. She couldn't recall a moment when she was not crying. Even now, as she sat on the floor, cuddled in her best friend's arms, she was crying. Narcisa and Rabi were best friends since childhood, and were always with each other. They hadn't been able to see each other in over six years, due to Rabi's career as an idol. Narcisa felt horrible that their one reunion in half a decade was due to Rabi's father's death. 

She hugged the girl tightly to her chest, and let her continue to cry. They had just came back from the funeral and Rabi was staining Narcisa's dress in tears. Any other time, the girl would have complained about it. But there was no time for that. It was Narcisa who had to deliver the bad news to her friend. She could still remember when she got a phone call from the state police to come and ID a body. The image of Rabi's dad still burned in her mind's eye. The man's face was tinted a deep purple, and the skin around the mouth began to blister. Recalling what the detective at the station told her, made Narcisa's stomach twist with unease.

"I'm afraid, this is not a death of natural causes." The burley man spoke the the weeping girl. "The autopsy found that Mr. Choi was poisoned."

"What!?" Narcisa snapped out of her sorrow apon hearing the news. "Who would poison him? Mr. Rae is the sweetest man ever!" Choi Rae worked as a therapist. He consulted many people on a daily basis, though he's never had any bad cases. All of his clients left him more than satisfied. Narcisa should know, she was hired as his receptionist as soon as she graduated high school. It was his favor to her. The job would look good on a collage application. Her time at the office shed a new light on her best friend's father.

"Please understand," the detective spoke to her to calm her down, "we are doing all we can to find any possible suspects." As if to add fuel to the flames, Narcisa herself had been pinned as one of the suspects. She was brought in for questioning and due to the fact that she was in another city during the time of his murder, she was cleared. It killed her to deliver the news over the phone to her best friend, but she had to. She had her phone changed three different times, but her number has stayed the same, and she had all of her contacts transferred. It was a good thing too, there was no other way she would have gotten in touch with Rabi if she hadn't transferred her contacts.

She easily found Jonghyun's number in her list. When she dialed him she hoped that he, at least, still had the same number as well. When she heard his voice on the other end, both relief and urge filled her body. Before he was able to finish his greeting she cut him off.

"Jjong!" She tried to keep her voice from shaking, but the image of Rae didn't leave her mind. "Jjong!" She tried again when the other didn't answer. Did she call the wrong person? "Is Hagi with you? It's urgent."

"Narcisa!" Good, he remembered her. "Yeah, she's here, why?" His voice was the same, soft, with a playful edge. Only a bit hoarse. He's been wearing it out recently with his Dream Girl promotions. Even after all these years, she still followed SHINee, along with floWER. If she could scold both groups with the amount of scandals and drama they have been getting in to, she would have. But now was not a time for that.

"Put her on Jonghyun, it's important." A few seconds later and Narcisa's best friend was on the phone.

"Narcisa, oh my god! I missed you so much!" Her voice was the same, only she sounded more like a woman. A young woman, but a woman none the less. "Sorry for not calling, my old phone got water damage, and I had no way to contact you. I was going to write, but it's not like you would have taken the time to read. Or maybe you would have, I don't know." She was rambling.

"Hagi shut up!" Even though she loved to hear her friend's voice, she didn't want to waist another minute. "Listen to me..." It was hard for Narcisa to even begin to tell Rabi. "Your father's dead."

"What?" Rabi spoke from the other end, her voice cracked and quivered. "Tell me you're joking please."

"It's no joke Hagi... he's dead."

"Oh my god!" Rabi broke out into a heavy sob. As they now sat in Rabi's living room, her cry was the same as when she got the news of her father. When she was younger, Rabi lost her mother to illness. Being an only child, Rae was the girl's only family. Still she had a few uncles, aunts, and cousins around, but they never kept in contact. What was she to do now?

Narcisa almost didn't want to, but she had to tell Rabi what she knew of he father's death. "Listen... Choi, there's something you should know." Even though Rabi continued to sob, Narcisa continued. "Your father... he didn't die of natural causes." Rabi froze and Narcisa held her breath.

"What do you mean?" Rabi looked up from the girl's chest to meet her gaze.

"H-he... he was poisoned." Rabi pulled away from her best friend to get a better view of the girl's face. She had to be joking. But the expression on Narcisa's face showed that she was more than serious. And didn't want to be the one to deliver this news.

"Are you telling me my father was murdered?" Rabi's voice was hoarse. She hasn't said a thing since the funeral. All of her energy was spent crying. "Who would do that?" Narcisa went through the same process the detective went through with her when she was told the news. Rabi's face became red with rage. She began to snap. It was bad enough that her father was dead, but to find that he was murdered was another blow to Rabi's heart. It was no wonder the funeral was a closed casket one. Though even if it was not, Rabi would have still refused to go to the viewing. The last memory she had of her father was when she was ready to leave America and make her way to Korea. His sad, smiling face always filled Rabi with a warmth no one else could provide her. She didn't want to replace that memory with a plastic looking version of her father.

Hearing all the commotion going on, Miyoung and Hana tore into the room. They accompanied Rabi to America after they heard the news. Some of the EXO and SHINee boys even came along for moral support. The boys came into the room after the girls, and immediately everyone tried their hand in attempting to calm Rabi down. She was a frenzy of tears, sobs and profanity. It took almost an hour to finally calm the girl down. Still, she demanded to be taken to the police station. She wanted to know everything they knew about her father's murder. After much debate, Narcisa finally agreed to drive Rabi down to the station. Hana and Jongin accompanied them, just in case Rabi needed to be calmed down again.

Once at the station, Rabi demanded to see the detective who lead the investigation of her father's murder. She was escorted to the waiting room outside of the detective's office. She sat in a chair next to Jongin, his arms were firmly around her. He tried his best to comfort her. Since she's heard the news, she had been a different girl. Quiet, distant. She barely talked. And if she did, her voice was lower than a mumble, so he barely heard anything she said. He missed his outgoing, snappy Rabi. The girl who always had to voice her opinion no matter what. He wasn't used to her being so quiet. It was eerie to him. But still, he understood why the girl wouldn't want to say anything. All he could do was be there for her when she needed it.

The door to the detective's office opened and the group was surprised and shocked to find Myungsoo walking out. He turned and was equally surprised to find the idols waiting there. "What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing." It was Jongin who spoke. Myungsoo shrugged and ruffled the back of his hair. He turned to the group.

"I just found that one of my uncles was murdered. I was touring Japan, so I missed the funeral." Narcisa hopped up and stared wide eyed at the idol.

"Choi Rae is your uncle?" She asked, trying to make sense of the situation. Myungsoo nodded, and the group's eyes were now on Rabi, who didn't seem to be attentive.

"Yes, he is." Myungsoo said. "How do you know about uncle Rae?" Narcisa motioned to Rabi.

"He's her father."

"You're ting me." Myungsoo couldn't help the curse that spilled from his lips. He was more than familiar with Rabi and floWER. He could still remember when Hoya did a performance with them for their debut. He stared wide eyed at the idol who was now clinging to Jongin. "We're cousins?" Jongin shook Rabi lightly to get her attention. She looked up and found that Myungsoo was speaking to her. She hadn't even noticed the idol was there to begin with.

The detective came out of his office to see why a crowd had accumulated. Rabi stood when she saw him. "Is it true?" She asked the man. "Was he really poisoned?" The detective blinked.

"And who are you?" He said, though there was an obvious resemblance between the girl and Choi Rae, he couldn't be too careful.

"Hagi, Choi Hagi. Rae's daughter. Is it true that my father was murdered?" The detective let out a heavy sigh and nodded to the girl. "Proof! I want proof."

"No you don't." Myungsoo said, interrupting their conversation. "Just take his words as proof." Rabi snapped her head back, turning to Myungsoo.

"Who the are you to tell me what I want!" Jongin blinked, but Myungsoo remained unflinching.

"I saw the pictures of his body. I wish I hadn't. Trust me, you don't want to see that. What ever image you have of your father now, keep it. And hang on to that. You don't want to see those pictures, trust me." As Myungsoo spoke, Rabi's last memory of her father flashed through her head again, and she calmed just a bit. Her shoulders sagged and shook as she let out quiet sobs. In no time, Jongin's arms were around her, bringing her what ever comfort he could. "They're working hard. They'll find who did this to Rae." Myungsoo tried to calm the girl with his words, but they only upset her more. She cried harder into Jongin's chest.

"What leads do you have?" Hana asked the detective. For a moment he looked down at the girl and almost flagged her off. But there was something about her persona and the way she carried herself that let the man know she was well beyond her years. "Do you know what kind of poison was used?"

"So far, we've gotten nowhere. All we know is that the poison is a mixture of some sort. Most likely made in a lab. It's fairly sophisticated. Our men are trying to figure out what was possible in it." Hana nodded, considering all she was being told. "I'll tell you one thing though, it spreads fast. Most likely Mr. Choi had no idea he was poisoned. I highly doubt he felt anything either. It was a quick painless death." Hana furrowed her brow. While the others worked on consoling Rabi, she stepped into the detective's office with him.

"The funeral was closed casket. Can I see the pictures of the body?" She didn't know Rabi's father to begin with, so pictures of his body wouldn't phase her in an emotional way. The detective nodded and gave the small girl the file with the pictures in it. When Hana saw the pictures, even she couldn't keep a straight face. Her hand went over as images of deep purple blisters burned in her mind. One picture in particular caught her eye. "Why is his mouth open like that?" While the body was found in a sleeping condition, there was no way Rae's mouth could have been parted that wide. Even if he was snoring.

"The poison needs air." The detective began to explain. "So once it was in his system, it opened his body in all ways possible."

"It wasn't forced open?" In the picture it looked as though someone personally yanked Rae's jaw out of its hinges.

"No. We thought about that. But our guys in the lab says the poison causes the body to open from the inside out." Hana looked down at the pictures again, and it suddenly hit her. She's seen marks like this before.

"If he was taken to a hospital, would they be able to extract the poison?"

"Most likely."

"What would happen to the wounds then?"

"Most likely they would scab, having the skin being stretched so far. But the body would heal itself and eventually the scabs would smooth over." Hana nodded and excused herself from the room. Before she came back in, she asked the detective to put the pictures away. Once out of view, Hana entered the room with Rabi. 

"Detective, would the healed wounds look anything like this?" She pulled off Rabi's blazer and exposed the healing cut on her arm. The detective leaned forward and eyed the the cut.

"Yes..." he got out of his seat and crossed the room to the girl. "Yes, in fact it would look exactly like that. How did you get this cut?" He directed his question to Rabi.

"Some crazy fan in Korea. Why?"

"Ma'am," the detective spoke slowly. Calculating and careful. "You were attacked with the same poison that killed your father."


Ooohhh~ DUN DUN DUN!! 

I hope you guys enjoyed this one! And I really hope it wasn't too long. 

But these kinds of stories need detail!

Please be on the lookout for the next chapter! I'll try to update before my day ends.

But you all know how that can be.

On a side note, if you look at pictures of Myungsoo, and the ulzzang I used for Rabi, Lee Yeon Joo "Mikki" you'll see some resemblance.

So it makes it more realistic that they are cousins.

Please subscribe and comment! That would be much appreciated. Thank you! <3